1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zzipplex rods

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dbrown, Sep 14, 2008.

1. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Hi all, looking for a new rod and was just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on any of the zzippy rods out there. It would be used on heavy ground and cliffs.

Thanks.

Dan.

2. brigaz

brigaz Blenny

yep they cost a mint.

3. dbrown

dbrown Guest

I think i'd already established that mate.

4. robq

robq Rockling

IMO the newer dymic range are nowhere near as good as the the older models Dan. They are good rods but overpriced compared with some other makes out there

5. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Im either looking at a few Zzippy rods or a reelsport want a rod with a nice tip as i only overhead wack it.

6. robq

robq Rockling

AFAW rock Dan, has a great tip on it. I use it at 13 ft with a high reel for overhead lobbing in tight spots and its fine :yes:

Great value for money too!!

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Steady Dan, have you got rod-itus again, you,ve already got a rod with a good tip :confused: but reading between the lines you want something a bit stiffer for rock and cliff :confused: if thats the case you,ll be better of cutting 6in off the tip and save your money. The rods that have been mentioned are not any better than what you already have imo it would ruin it for beach work though. What you,ve described as what you want is what you,ve already got.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

What rod does Dan use now ?

9. robq

robq Rockling

your a skint wannabe tackle tart are'nt you Dan ? :canadian: :canadian:

what with the talk of calcuttas as well !! :cheesy: :cheesy:

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Dan has asked about my Century Fireblade as well....I thought he must have bust the Primo Syncro as I know that is a decent rod and the Fireblade not any better (yes I say that even tho I selling the blade !)

Dan go for aN afaw Rock for heavy ground and cliffs but keep the Syncro as well, or let me have it cheap..lol

11. Fishfinder

Fishfinder New Member

A mate of mine has a zziplex zetec very nice rod for the kelp very similar to a ttr if not stiffer

12. mww

mww Rockling

Just had a word with the man himself & he tells me that there's a new AFAW Tournament Rock rod due out in the next month or so - stockists should have them in October...

Absolutely no idea what they, or the straight "Rock" model are like, but plenty of guys on here & elsewhere rate the full range so should be well worth a look - not sure about this year, but Julian has sponsored a comp down Holderness last couple of years, & has put on a trial session in conjunction with East Coast Tackle the day before so there might be an opportunity to try before you buy, which is something that doesn't happen all that often.

Mart

13. Patterdale

Patterdale New Member

Yes its difficult finding the 'Perfect Rod'

I've only been back into Sea Fishing for nearly a year now and so far

have bought 4 makes of Beachcasters and 7 rods.

Ive had zziplex, Century AWAF and Shimano.

I've settled on Shimano as my most regular rods to use.

Fortunately our Club Shop Billingham Tackle Box Co -owner

Trevor has lent me several rods to try in the past before I decided to buy.

how many shops will do that.

Speaking to lads in the club each and everyone has a 'Special rod'

all different to each others.

thats why this sport is so good, versatile, and each to his own.

14. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Its not that it's not already good enough it's just on cliff it feels abit to soft. I love the rod the tip is just right for me just that i want a slightly stiffer rod for the cliff.

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

My mate Les had a Primo syncros and I must admit I found it almost too soft. I would agree it might be tippy but its one of only a few zippy rods I have had my hands on. I used to own a tz 500 whcih I also found soft. Maybe thats what your suppose to look for in a rod ???

16. dbrown

dbrown Guest

I like mine beacause when your overheading it sort of whips the cast beacause its that tadd softer ill probs just stick with it as it is an ace rod.

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anyfish-Anywhere-ROCK-ROD-FOR-COD-SMOOTHOUND-FREE_W0QQitemZ250049868163QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250049868163&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

There ya go Dan, some think the butt could be stiffer,personally having seen how the rt Axecelerator was too stiff for you, the rock is well worth looking at ,I ve used mine off Bemmo and Flambro' they are cracking to cast as well.
    For the money in my opinion better than the newer zippy's I ve looked at ....now the older ones are a different thing.

You should have a look at one dan

18. dbrown

dbrown Guest

If i buy a new rod it will most probably be a reelsport. Im going to keep the zzippy for a while though love it.

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Having seen the reel sport it has a fantastic tip to it dan and has loads of power in a through action....but is it any better for a cliff rod ?
    I ve not seen another members used much off the tops and doubt one would be any better than that rod Ray sold you.
    I f you do change rods and need to offload the zzippy I m always in the market for rods to tidy up so give me the nod. :yes:

20. GJW

GJW Rockling

Why do you need a stiffer rod for the cliffs Dan??? over the years of fishing from the tops i have preferred a softer actioned rod rather than a stiff tournament pole but thats just my opinion, if you are using the rod to lift the fish a softer tip seems to cushion the fish on the way up and will bend and is less likely to snap than a stiffer model, if you are using a pole to lift the fish it shouldn't matter if you have a stiff rod or softer rod once the fish is on the pole the rod is not being used and the line is be pulled up by hand....I think the primo synchro is a good allround rod, maybe a bit soft in out and out kelp holes but okay for everything else including cliff work...