1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

zziplex vmaxf1

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Maxie, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Maxie

Maxie New Member

in the reelsport thread mww mentions having a vmax f1 and says its a great rod,i got one last year to replace my old rod thinking it had gone a bit soft.
    now most of my cod fishing is medium and close range usually with 35lb line,but with this rod the gear seems easily picked up by swell combined with bites resulting in a lot of missed fish,and i mean a lot,one night hooking 4 out of 15 plus good bites.
    ive changed things around but hookups didnt improve so i went back to my old rod.
    i was thinking maybe the rods action doesnt suit the heavy line/close medium fishing and would be better further out and lighter line,can mww shed any light on this rod as its heading for ebay shortly.

2. mww

mww Rockling

Guess its a case of what suit one, won't suit all. I like the F1 use it a lot for all sorts of fishing at various ranges, recently I found I use the Longbeach/ Response for really heavy stuff, or when the going gets really hard - fishing into the teeth of gales, big baits - you know the score.

Not sure why one rod would cause so many missed bites, the rod would be about the last - apart from the reel - in the list of things that I'd be questioning (unless it was an out & out garden cane!!). I think we've all had days when bites were hard to hit, although 4 successes from 15's probably worse than you'd ever want to experience & I can appreciate your frustration. A daft question, what line have you been using? Reason for asking is that one of the top Yorks rock anglers (no..not Ramrod!!) was telling me recently that he's had a big problem with a batch of Tritanium that does a fair approximation of an elastic band - he'd had a few sessions & missed an unusual amount of bites before he noticed the stretch in the line. Now I've used Tritanium & other Suffix line in the past & never had a problem, in fact I always rated it as one of the best lines, but I guess it's possible that there's an occasional sub-spec bach?

To make a fresh start, it's maybe a case of moving on to something else to get the confidence in your gear back, & if that means the F1 needs to go onto eBay, then I for one wouldn't try to talk you out of it.

Cheers

Mart

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Confidence is key wrt the rod I guess. I used to have a zziplex tz500 and at the time they were supposed to be the bees knees but I hardly ever used it - just didn't feel right with the thing.

There was a time this year on this coast when we were missing a lot of bites too Max, infact its probably documented in this forum somewhere. I've had nights similar to the one you mention with all the missed bites. There is a certain couple of marks at Robin hoods bay where we get bites and were lucky to convert half of them. I usually start with the bait in a bid to get to the bottom of that problem.

4. Maxie

Maxie New Member

it was a tz500 i was replacing,best rod ive ever had,funny how you get it into your head its lost it and the next thing you know you cant hook out.
    i use either sensor,which is stretchy ,or ultima line,but its been all winter missing fish,not just an odd time,its been heading for the sea on more than one occasion.
    therell be a new rod for the rough by september whether i sell this one or not.theres just too many to pick from.
    i nearly done a part ex on a zzipy sst with a lad off wsf the other day but he had feedback for selling it on ebay and had it for sale again on ebay,so i asked him about it and i havent heard off him again,so keep clear of him.

5. mww

mww Rockling

Max

Not tried one myself, but the Anyfish Anywhere Rock rods were getting a big thumbs up from a lot of the boys when Julian Shambrook did a demo day down at Hornsea earlier this year. Not daft money, either - think Keith's at Saltburn is a stockist, so you'll probably get a decent discount.

Lobbers won one of the lighter rods & last time I spoke to him said it was a nice rod.

Cheers

Mart