1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zziplex M4 Evo / GT

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by CAB78, Apr 17, 2013.

1. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'm new to the site and this is my first post, so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

After 9 years away from sea fishing I'm starting to get the bug back. After much research I have narrowed the new rod down to the Zziplex M4 Evo (GT). I originally opted for the M4 Evo due to it being a good all-rounder but many reviews raised concerns over the stiffness of the tip and bite detection problems. I then opted for the improved GT version, but other reviews are saying these glass tips are now too soft.......so hence this post...please help!

I would like a good all-rounder rod that will mainly be used as a winter cod rod; I dont want something too stiff for the beach but still have enough grunt for the piers, cliffs, mixed ground etc. I live in Hartlepool and will fish the local piers, rough ground and beaches. I would also like to try the local Whitby spots suchs as Staithes, Boulby, Sandsend Cliffs etc as well as some Northumberland marks like Craster. I think the split will be 70% mixed and 30% clean. It will be paired with a 525 Mag2.

I'm not the best caster and would like a rod which will help me learn and improve distances / technique. Casting weights will generally be 6oz; very occasionally 7oz. I'll be pleasure fishing only and no tournament casting.

I have still got my old little Tip Tornado which I was planning to use during the summer for Bass etc.

Any help and / or guidance will be much appreciated; I'm now thinking the GT will be ok for the beach but may not be so on mixed ground due to it being too soft?? Is there another in the Zziplex range which is jumping out as being more suited for the fishing I will do?

Many thanks in advance
    Colin

2. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Personally I'd look at the century range if your dishing out cash but each to their own :)

3. Steve

Steve Rockling

i own an M4 gt and in my opinion it is the best BEACH rod iv ever owned. i certainly wouldnt be using it for rocks or cliff work.
    the tip on them is fantastic. it bends into the tide and shows up the bites. iv found the best weight for these rods to be 5oz. i did 224yards with mine last summer.for an all rounder have a look at an XTR or LT14 if you must buy zziplex. if you can get the chance have a try of a rod first before splashing out all that cash. alternativley have a run out to the next casting event at redcar and have a word with some of the lads there. ARC on this site is bob collins, he is very knowledgeable on rods.

if you had lived closer you could of had a go with my rods, i have all 3 of the above

4. robq

robq Rockling

If you like the sound of the M4 GT but think it may be a bit undergunned, why not look at the newer glass tipped bullets :yes:

They have a great tip and plenty of power lower down and would suit the mixed ground better, but still have good bite detection.

5. bow1

bow1 Rockling

I use an m4 evo on anything from clean sand to the rough around Arbroath itll handle anything in my opinion.

6. CAB78

Many thanks for all your help. Before I packed in my fishing before, I used a Zziplex and really enjoyed fishing with it; hence going back to one now.

I will have a look at the glass tipped bullet and LT14 etc too. I was also reading a little about the Primo Full tournament; whats peoples opinions on this? Quite difficult to come by a one though by all accounts.....

Thanks again

7. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson New Member

Hi cab78, did you reach a decision on which rod to buy? If so, what did you chose and are you happy with it?

8. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

ZETEQUE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

9. slug

slug Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

got to agree with robq, the bullet would fit the bill nicely, plenty of power for casting big leads and baits and cliff /rock fishing and good bite detection, i have the m4 evo and the zeteque txl gt both cracking rods and i would say the bullet fits inbetween these two, the m4 evo will cope with big leads and rocks/cliffs if pushed but is happier with mixed ground and and 5-6oz where as the zeteque range are very powerful rods designed for heavy work rocks kelp/hauling (probs why lobbers loves his so much!) but the bullet would be a good compromise and will be my next purchase.

10. Peever lad

Peever lad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi CAB i use an M4 EVO for every day fishing. It's a really nice rod. I've never had a problem with its bite ditection. I did buy a GT tip for it for when i go fishing for whitings & dabs. I also use an M427. This is spot on for heavy ground & cliff work. I live in Hartlepool if you want to try them.

Richie

11. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Go for a Century C.
    And love it.

12. CAB78

Thanks for the extra advice, but this was an old post from April which I think Mop Man has found again - I do appreciate the advice though.

After quite a bit more research and a good chat with the guys at Summerlands I decided to go for the Full Tournament. Ive done a bit of practice casting with it and only fished with it for the first time off the rocks a couple of weeks ago. I must admit I feel quite comfortable with it and I'm happy based on its use so far. On my first session I got 2 mops around 2lb mark and bite detection was fine.

I've not used it off the cliff tops yet though, but hopefully soon :)

13. Kevin Thompson

You're right CAB78 I picked up an old post when searching for reviews/advice on Zziplex rods. My wife and family have clubbed together to buy me one for my birthday but now it's up to me to spec which one I want. After lots of searching the internet over the weekend and reading the info on this forum I think I have narrowed it down to the HSM, M4 Evo GT, M4 Hi-flex Match, Primo Synchro or Primo Hi-flex. The M4 gets some good feedback on here so will probably settle on a variant of this rod.
    From my research I think I now understand that the prefix ie M4, M427, Bullet relate to the type of rod. The suffix ie Evo, GT, Hi-flex relate to the tip section where the Evo is 20% stiffer than the standard rod with J-curve action, the GT is a glass tip with improved bite detection and reduced bite back when casting with J-curve action and the Hi-flex is a slower action tip providing gradual power build up in the cast with C-curve action. I am unsure what Dymic relates to; is this a further type of tip section?
    I currently use a Greys Apollo and do most of my fishing on the rock/scaur marks between Whitby and Bempton.
    Any advice, clarification of the above or additional information would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

14. Capt Caves Man

Capt Caves Man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just a bit more narrowing down to do Mop Man. The bullet was a good rod for rock a few years ago so this version may be worth a look at. ::)

15. Kevin Thompson

Thanks for the advice Capt Caves Man. The thing that puts me off the Bullet is that it is a 13ft rod with an 8ft tip section which is not as good for getting up and down cliffs or awkward descents.
    The Primo was also a good rod and has been brought back due to popular demand.

16. Capt Caves Man

Capt Caves Man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good point Primos have a good name for rock fishing think it was a rod that Steve Ianson used and hes not a daft angler

17. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Can't beat a zzippy !!,got the bullet gt,got a very stiff/powerfull butt but the sweetest of tips,pulls round nice in the tide & can spot the slightest of bites at long range,can chuck a lead obscene distances.
    These rods (zzippies)r the dogs do dahs,can't fault e'm,does everything u ask of it an more 8).

18. bassb8

bassb8 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi mopman, if you're looking for a stiff rod I'd look at the m427 and zeteque range, just my opinion though. Some of the rods you mention there are more like match rods and better suited to clean beach fishing. Or perhaps a hst, hst evo or m4 evo if you fancy more of an all-rounder?

19. Kevin Thompson

Still haven't bought this new rod but have spent two hours researching it again this afternoon! Think the M4 EVO or HST EVO look like good options for the ground I fish and my physical size. The M427 and LT14 also look like a good rods but not sure I fancy a 14" rod.

20. Kevin Thompson

M4, HST, M427, L14, Primo Synchro....... Evo, GT, Hi-Flex....... Have Zziplex made the choice too confusing?