1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zonk gets murdered by two bass!!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by biscuitlad, Aug 8, 2010.

1. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Well, this has probably to some of you old pros plenty of times, but it was first for me so I thought I'd share a few pictures.

We fished Saturday, and arrived early to find the sea with the odd white horse, generally sloppy and a horrible brown colour. It really didn't look good. But we headed out into it and after casting around aimlessly in despair for 20 minutes, decided we'd paddle round the corner to see if the water was a bit clearer. As we passed one of my favourite marks, I said I was going to just have a cast or two. The water had improved marginally to a pea green soup, but I would never have believed you could catch bass in it. Anyhow, my mate was into a fish almost instantly, and then we getting a fish a cast for a about half an hour before we lost them. By that time we'd both had 4 bass each, and my mate got his biggest ever, the best of the day at about 6lb. The day got better as it wore on, and by lunchtime it was clearly panning out to be one of my best ever sessions, with both of us getting well into double figures. The sea kept alternating between thick green stuff and turning back clear again but the fish didn't seem to mind, they were biting in either!

The fishing was fast and furious at times and most of my fish were on the pearl zonk that I was slagging off just last week! Funny how things change in a week eh? Anyhow, don't know if the water conditions suited it or what, but it was doing me proud. That was until I thought I'd hooked into a belter, but after a few minutes realised it was something I'd not see before:

[​IMG]

Two bass on the same plug. As they got closer, I could see the smaller of the two fish was getting its mouth ripped to shreds.

[​IMG]

Anyhow, after a bit of juggling trying to not have my hand end up like the mouth of that smaller bass, I lifted both into the yak:

[​IMG]

After dispatching both fish (smaller one didn't have much of mouth left, it must be said), I took a look at my poor zonk. It was completely ruined! Every single hook on it was bent out of shape, but worse than that, the bib was bent up completely the wrong way (you can see it in the photo) and is pretty much wrecked with loads of white stress lines in the plastic. Managed to snap the bib back down in position again without it breaking, and tried casting it out a few times after straightening the trebles, but it wouldn't swim right.

Apart from that, and the loss of a Ima Susuke which snapped off despite me using my new Teklon Gold, it was a great session. Even managed to get my best fish of the day out of the kelp after it had snagged me. Victory after the previous week when I'd lost two to that cause! Big bag of fat bass to bring home, and my mate caught his first ever plugged bass and beat me into 2nd place with the best of fish of the day into the bargin!

If someone had asked me as we looked at the sea that morning, wondering whether it was worth even getting kitted up, whether you could catch bass in those conditions, I would have told them to not to bother and stay at home. Just shows how little I know, eh?!! All in all, a fantastic session that will live a long time in the memory.

Tight lines.

2. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello, great report but best of all some realy good photos :yes: is the zonk totaly "fubar'd" or can it be repaired?
    Regards Ian

3. mike33

mike33 New Member

Top fishing lads..............I've had two or even three follow the lure before but two on at once never had that before.....nice one,
    just got one of them Zonks will be putting to the test over the next few days.

Mike

4. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

That's a good little session Biscuit, I had exactly the same thing today 2 bass on my zonk, the smaller one on the bottom hook also had it's mouth trashed, couldn't believe it at first, but every time you go bass fishing it seems something out of the ordinary happens

5. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Well done cracking fish. I tried twice yesterday and not a bloody thing plus I lost my mag popper so glad someone had a batter day than me.

6. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well done on the fish, never had two bass on the same plug before...

7. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Don't know, can't see why it shouldn't swim as it did before, maybe the vane isn't going back all the way down or something. The hooks on zonks are made of putty.

8. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

You'll like them - but treat them with kid gloves and check that diving vane for damage after landing a few fish, especially if they get into the kelp (one problem with having three sets of trebles). There are two models, one swims a bit shallower than the other, is that one you got?

9. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Never the mouth of the bass, what state was your zonk in?!

10. GJW

GJW Rockling

Whilst useing a feed shallow a few weeks back after catching a few bass on it the hooks resembled a mangled wreck, like you say i think they are made of putty..... Not good enough on lures that are not actually cheap!!

11. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Completely agree. Hooks ought to be top notch on anything over £15. And the zonk has other problems. There just isn't a good reason for that hinged diving vane, it's supposed to make it more aerodynamic or something. But I think that's bollocks - doesn't cast that far any way, and that flimsy bit of crap is just waiting to break. I can't believe they don't offer a more robust fixed version, after all it's not exactly the cheapest plug on the market...

But, but, but... I know, I know, yes ok, I admit it, I will be ordering another one!

12. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Bollocks Biscuit Boy they're the best casting plugs out there, plus you get that sweet whistle as it goes out :cool:

13. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

I meant I don't think the hinged vane adds to their casting distance. Wouldn't say a zonk outcasts an IMA Susuke (even the shorter 120 one), let alone something like a Saltiga minnow. Now they really do whistle past your lug!

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You tackle tart Marshal

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Great stuff Kester, well done mate and thanks for the elaborate report, it makes for great reading.

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

My zonk went bonk yesterday when a bass leapt clean out of the water and almost beached itself, or rather "bouldered" itself :ugly: the diving vane bent upwards! I clicked it back down however and it seems to swim ok but I'm not sure if it gives the same tip movement on the rod as it used to. Love them or hate them, for whatever reason, they work much better than any other shallow diving plug and are the blueprint of future plugs. They need tweaking though to make the vane more resillient. Unfortunately for me in the meantime I will have to fork out £20 a time for the bloody things as I would hate to go bassing whithout one :sick:
    Well done biscuit on what seems to have been a great session and interesting reading.

17. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

18. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Nice one biscuit , when them schoolies are feeding they certainly like to share.like .....Nice one , Next time it might be 2 5lbers ..imagione that , ure zonk would of been kerplonked....