1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

youths flotation suit ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by foo, Oct 7, 2008.

1. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Difficult decision to be made.I am currently trying to get my son a bit more involved in sea fishing and would like some advice please. He is 13 and you can sometimes actually see him growing so here lies the problem.I want to buy him some form of water proof, warm fishing clothing but am unsure of what line to go down.I would prefer to get him a flotation suit of some kind but would he get more wear out of a 2 piece or all in one. ?
    Obviously I want to buy him something that he will get this winter AND next out of but refuse to buy him something that he will "grow into" as I feel this is false economy and defeats the purpose of the immersion suit.
    I would really appreciate any advice at all on manufacturers, stockists etc.Some forum members hopefully must have come across this issue in the past .
    Many thanks.

2. Jem

Jem Blenny

3. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Sundridge on e-bay. Bought my suit on there and was only £60. Think they must have childrens sizes in on-line shops.

Mick.

4. foo

Thanks lads.
    That Glasgow anglin looks pretty good Jem m8 cheap too,gonna take him to a couple of local shops to try some gear on he might get away with xs or s adult size.
    Cheers to both for replies :wink:

5. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

hope you find one for the young lad mate. And hope he gets into sea fishing
    :yes:

6. gwyn

gwyn Blenny

Fladen make suits for all sizes, below are the sizes they do they can be ordered from most tackle dealers,

X Small = 50-70KG / Height 153-160 cm

Small = 50-70KG / Height 160-167 cm

Medium = 70-90KG / Height 167-175 cm

Large = 80-100KG / Height 176-183 cm

XLarge = 90-110KG / Height 183-190 cm

7. pat

pat New Member

hi , got my son a sundridge flotation suit about 4 and a half years ago ( 5 years this christmas ) from tackle box billingham after a couple
    of night fishing trips to saltburn pier , he was 13 then and was advised to go for a bigger size , so i did , best thing i ever did , he is now 18
    5ft 8 and he had it on last saturday on hartlepool pier , still fits him no problem , no reason why he couldnt get another 5 years out of it , hope this helps . pat [​IMG]

8. Gas_mantle

Gas_mantle Guest

I had a Mustad all in one suit for many years but last winter when I realised it was past it's best I decided to opt for a 2 piece alternative this time.

I bought a Fladen jacket with the bib and brace trousers for 65 quid, I know Fladen arent exactly the Rolls Royce for fishing tackle but for the price it's been a bargain and something I think is well worth considering.

Certainly the suit is warm (and waterproof !), it's got plenty of roomy pockets including a secure internal one with a zip for keys/wallet etc. The hood is ample size to allow the wearing of a woolly hat with a headlight.

9. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

i wouldnt buy a full flotation suit....i use chest waders and a sudridge SAS flotation suit jacket(around £50) as this doesnt restrict me to fishing piers

10. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Blenny

definately get a 2 peice suit if hes still growing....

the salopets are adjustable and the jackets are big anyway alowing plenty of growing room. a 1 peice will soon be outgrown unless you get one thats way oversize at first.

my son and daughter used a pair of neoprene waders and flotation jacket. the waders would also help them float should the worst happen plus they are better if fishing rocks or beaches.

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

aye and the neoprene waders are good for keeping you warm too

12. foo

Many thanks for all the replies,I think it looks like a 2 piece suit as this gives the option of adding waders if he hopefully gets the bug.
    Cheers all for the helpful advice just need to find a local dealer now. :yes: