1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinion on braided line - Charter skippers

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by THE DOLPHIN, Mar 31, 2009.

1. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Thinking about getting some braid for my boat reel but remember years ago when I use to take a few lads out on fishing boat i had at the time when couple of them got tangled together with fine braid it was a nightmare trying to untangle it i use to use the old stuff that was like string to look at that wasn't to bad for getting tangles out. I no the benefits of using braid ie no stretch feel everything but not sure about the tangle carry on what your thoughts on the stuff charter skippers how do you mange tangles. (BIG COD) sea otter 2 :confused: tightlines chris

2. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Re: your opinion on braided line charter skippers

Chris forget about the tangles mate braid for wrecking is a must it a 1000 times better than nylon for feel you can use lighter tackle as braid is a lot thinner than nylon the nylon days for deep water fishing are gone the only time i use braid is when i am uptiding i prefer nylon to braid but a lot of lads use braid even for uptiding.

paul.

3. gforce

gforce Blenny

Re: your opinion on braided line charter skippers

paul just out of curiosity which make of braid do you use? i use whiplash at the mo but a few are telling me that dynon is a better option, i prefer mono when uptiding
    steve

4. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

I hacve always used braid for boat fishing and find it great to use, less weight needed to keep the teminal tackle in place.Personally I go for Penn Dynabraid Waveblaster, seems to work for me!

5. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Thanks for that Paul i will be getting some soon is there any braid that is useless or tangles easy any info will be very helpfull thanks all tightlines chris

6. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

I use a mono backing line then wrap it in insulating tape, use a double grinner to attach the braid. Then put the braid on under a little tension. This should stop the braid biting into itself when you are using it.

7. Dorado

Dorado New Member

If you are lucky, like me, and have a racecourse, cricket pitch, football ground etc close by. Wind the entire spool of braid onto the spool, don't worry about tying it on, just a bit of tape to make it stay put for now - 1/2" is enough to trap the end.

Next, tie on your mono. Wind the mono on until it fills the spool to capacity. Then comes the monotonous bit.

Take a few tent pegs - round wire ones, not those angled ones. Push a peg in as far as possible from the other end of the grass you have. Tie a loop in the mono and put it over the peg. Walk away unpeeling your line as you go...until it is all off. I am lucky, the racecourse has a straight area that is about 1000m long, uninterrupted, so I can just walk it all off. If you have a hsorter area than you have line, when you get to the end, put a peg in, put the line under it and walk back again, so you flake the line up and down the grass until it is all off, the whole lot, braid and all.

Walk to the mono end. Attach the mono to the spool (remember to put it through the rings from the tip downwards!). You can now wind the line on very neatly under bent rod pressure and you will have the correct amount of mono backing for the braid. You end up with a perfectly filled reel with line nice and taught and evenly wound on - enjoy it, it will never look as neat again!

8. Andy1rod

Andy1rod New Member

When using braid, do you use a mono leader? I've heard that a few of the lads on here have lost fish due to the fact there is no "give" using braid. A mono leader acts like a shock absorber so to speak. What's your opinion on this?

Andy

9. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Depends on your rod, how much of a bully you are, the fish you after and the terrain you are catching them on.

eg, over flat sand, there is no harm letting any fish run, it can't make cover.

Pollack into kelp - you need to slow, rather than stop, that crash dive to try and keep it out of the kelp/wreck/pinnacles

A soft rod tip does the same job as 10 feet of mono - just see how much you can stretch a short length of mono to see how much give you get in practise. I think the more important reason for using a mono or fluorocarbon leader is for abrasion resistance. Braid is not good at going over sharp edges under tension!

10. 105

105 New Member

i edge my bets on this one.i use dynon.a soft rod penn tide cutter 15/30 class
    mono trace line.and i dont bully fish up.

11. Deepseacodmaster

Deepseacodmaster Whitby Fishing _ Simply The Best

I always use braid (Power Pro) for boat fishing,
    Like most newish things, with time and hands on experience, the Charter Skippers and crew seem to have improved on untangling braid tangles. :happy:
    I do use a mono shock leader for three reasons.[list type=decimal]
    [*]The initial run of the fish is controlled somewhat by the monos stretch

[*]It has better abrasion qualities when fishing over rough ground and wrecks.
    [*]It is easier and safer to lift fish onto the boat with mono.
    [/list]All in All I would say that my sea fishing experience has improved 100% since I started to use braid.
    :canadian: :canadian:

12. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Thanks for all your replies i will be getting some soon as my uptideing reel is coming of my rod as to put my wrecking reel back on it has mono on at moment but i might leave that on as backing. What price should i be paying for decent braid mind il shop around anyway times are hard and marina mooring fees are due this month what a sickener. :sick: :sad:

13. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

Whitby sea angling have got 200m of 80lb penn braid in for a tenner. I was told since Pure fishing took over shakespear and penn they have closed the penn braid factory and that is why it is cheap. I'ts good gear, but 50lb would be ample.

I don't like using tape of any type as backing because over time the braid tension on the spool squeezes the glue out of it and ruins the braid. I use cotton, it takes ages to wind on but the braid cant get stuck between the strands.

Alan

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

the penn dynabraid 80lb for £10 at Whitby Angling is very good stuff, well recommended

15. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Thanks for that Silver fox iv just rang angling suplies and reserved some to collect tomorrow thanks for all your help tightlines chris :happy: :happy:

16. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

:yes: :yes: