1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your fishing camera ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Quite a few people are now carrying cameras and taking some pictures whilst out and about. I thought it might be a good idea if people said what camera they use and how they manage to protect it from sea water.

2. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

I tend to use the camera in my phone, 5mp, it gives good resolution upto 8 x 10 prints. Keep it in a waterproof carry bag round my neck until required.

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

i use a old digital camera for the shore its 4 mp but when i get out on my yak i am going to take my 10mp sony. great camera and its compact.

4. newdave

newdave Guest

3 choices Glenn
    for shore fishing i am sure an ordinary camera kept in a good dry bag is fine if looked after, for the Kayak i would recomend a good waterproof camera with a secure lanyard.

your options are

use a non waterproof camera in a bag & carefully take it out & try not to get it wet, your a better man than me if you manage that

buy a fully waterproof housing, diver type, best option if you want to use a very good SLR, but pricey

a waterproof camera, olympus, pentax and a few more make some good ones, exspect to pay from £100 upwards,depending on the spec. i have the olympus mu 1030 sw, bullt like a brick karzie but not cheap :happy:

5. November XIII

November XIII Catch the fish you love - love the fish you catch!

I use a cheap digital camera solely for fishing trips. It's not waterproof so I just keep it in the tackle box out of harms way. At most, I'll put it in a plastic bag if it looks like raining, but generally I can throw it about and get it covered in fish slim and scales without worrying about what the wife will say.

In essence, it suits me because it takes great pictures and gives really good cheap and cheerful reminders of the great days I have!

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I have a compact didgy camera and keep it in my rucksack when afloat or in a pocket when shore fishing ,but when i get my DSLR i dont think i will take it afloat ,and maybee buy a waterproof case for it when shore fishing , :yes:

7. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

I use 2 ones a compact Pentax optio w10m 6.0 mp and ist supposed to be class 8 waterproof and class 5 dust proof,
    2nd one is a Kodak easy share z1012 IS HD 10.1MP

8. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

iv got a waterproof pentax its the same one as we have on the lifeboat its a good solid waterproof digital camera

9. Dab Hand

Dab Hand New Member

Olympus mu 1030 sw. Totally waterproof to 3 metres. It can even take underwater pics with no extra case. Afterwards just rinse it under a tap and leave to dry. It takes some nerve to give it a dunking, but it works.

David

10. newdave

newdave Guest

mine says waterproof to 10m

11. CBass

CBass New Member

There is only one way to solve this...

12. Baramundi Bob

13. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

a fight glenn. we having a forum boxing match :laugh: :laugh:

or battle of the cameras

14. CBass

CBass New Member

I was going to suggest dunking the camera's to the depths in question. :evil:

But a fight would do it. So two ways I guess.

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Olympus mju used it for nearly three years now,been dunked dropped bashed covered in cod sh!t you name it that poor camera has probably been through it.The pics are good at computer screen sizes ,the battery life great.....I broke the usb port flap on mine by accident,so glued it back in place and it 's still going strong .
    Think it was about £130.00 when I got it and wouldn t hesitate getting another if this one fails.

16. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

think a dunking would be more fun :laugh: :laugh: the winner gets to dunk the loser with his broken camera :laugh: :laugh:

17. Dab Hand

Dab Hand New Member

10 metres or three metres what does i really matter. I'll let you know when I get back from my hols in the Greek Marine Park. Hope theres a few more fish there than the rest of the Med :laugh: :laugh:

18. vtech

vtech Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I use a olympus c 370 it is on 3 .3 mpx but it as took abuse quite well, a shame it is not waterproof, the later ones were i think. it as 10x optical zoom that is handy.
    I dont get to photo fish very much as i dont catch many. :laugh: :laugh:
    it takes good underwater shots though, there are 3 cod in this photo honest they are underwater. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    [​IMG]

19. Baramundi Bob

Mine is a panasonic lumix f7. Its one of these which is meant to be a cross between a compact and an SLR. I bought it to use specifically for fishing. Initially I got one of the aqua pac bags for it. But I holed the bag pretty fast. The plastic used is not good quality and I holed it in several places. Now I use a cheap reseal freezer bag. The seal is good and the plastic is a heavier grade.

I have seen some excellent shot from the pentax waterproof camera that a couple of people mention. Also I note that everytime they bring out a new model they sell off the old model at very cheap prices, so you could get a bargain.

20. thebigman

thebigman New Member

Nikon D60 with a waterproof case from Aquapac. Tend just to use the case for carrying the camera rather than shooting through.