1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your First trout on Fly?

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by mattylamb, Feb 28, 2008.

1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

When did you catch your first trout? where did you catch it and what fly did you get it on?

I caught mine when I was 12, on the River Swale at Reeth, on a Grey Duster, which is still my favourite river dry fly.

Was only about 8 inches but I got so much satisfaction from catching it :)

2. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Has anybody fly fished in the sea ? If so what were the results

Dan

3. bucko

bucko Guest

Esk, on a Black Pennel if I remember correctly. About 6 inches long.
    First stillwater ones were at Lockwood- 2 rainbows one week and a 2lb brown the next on a Black Muddler.

Are you talking about sea trout in the sea Dan?
    Have fished for bass, mackerel and garfish in Wales with fly- good crack!

Going to try a few marks this year.

4. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Yeah fishing for bass, What is it like?

how far are you usually casting the fly rods?

5. bucko

bucko Guest

In Wales anything between 10ft and a full line out.
    Some places you cast straight out, others you wade and cast almost along the shore.
    The places I have in mind round here differ- one will need a cast of about 20ft to put you in the mackerel while another will need a full line out to reach the bass.

Have a look at this:
    http://www.uksaltwaterflyfishing.co.uk/

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

My first fly caught Trout was last August on the Esk at Danby (just started fly fishing), it's was a massive 4oz! Never been so happy to catch a 4oz fish! :embarrass:

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

Pound and a half Rainbow on a dry sedge

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Only trout Ive had a fly are small Brown trout from the Esk at Slights on a method shown to me by local angler Derek Purves.

Its not really fly fishing so to speak but involves fish 2 flies on droppers infront of a "BIC PEN" used as a float. It certainly is very effective for a bit of fun with the Brownies. Its difficult mastering the casting distance and at one point the bushes on the opposite bank were like Christmas trees fully decorated with Bic Pens.

9. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Before I caught a trout on the fly I had three roach on a dry fly whilst practicing casting on my local river.

The trout was a rainbow of around 1lb from a lake near to my home. I got it on a gold ribbed hare's ear nymph after checking the shore for shucks and matching the shucks with the flies I had. I can still remember the thrill as the leader slid across the surface.

These days I don't fish for trout. The few I've caught in the last couple of years have all been by accident whilst fly-fishing for chub and dace.

Fly-fishing in the sea can be done from the beach where you would wade into the surf and fish across the waves for bass, or in an estuary when you would fish the current like you would a river for bass and flatties, from the rocks for bass, pollack and wrasse or in marinas and harbours for mullet. Fly-fishing from a kayak adds a new dimension. You don't have to cast as far and can manouver into just the right position to cast to the fish.

10. jeff s

jeff s New Member

My first fly caught trout was on the Willamette River just down from Lafayette Oregon (Western USA). I was about 11 using what I think may have been a Royal Coachman. My brother and I would cash coke cans in for a deposit at 5 cents a can to buy tackle. Those were the days..

J-

11. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

my first trout was a rainbow at lockwood on dawsons olive