1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your first fish / fishing trip.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ok so we have had first cod, now what about your first fishing trip ? and your first fish. Not sure I can remember mine. I remember the school fishing comps when meady used to beat us all with flounders off the pier - how things have changed.

Here's lobbers first fish on the table behind him.

[​IMG]

Picture courtesy of impact Shiela. I think there may be a murder in the lobbers household when he wakes up.

2. p.lobley

p.lobley Guest

me dad bought me that rod'n'reel from wooly's in scabby for £5.99, i cought the 7 billet off scabby east pier on mussel tongues, lucky 7 number of fish for my first ever bag up sesh ;D

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

4. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

My first boat trip was out of Staithes with old man Baxter on a school organised fishing trip. They wouldn't be allowed to do it these days. I remember one lad spewing the whole trip but when someone wound in his line for him he had a really good haddock on. I caught loads of whiting and 1 cod. Unfortunately when I got home there was no one in so I put the fish in the sink covered in warm water ready for my dad to fillet, obviously the fish was ruined lol.

5. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

I was brought up on the course fishing circuit as a kid,then when i was about 18 i was fortunate to go with my eldest brother to the tt races at the i.o.m.,with some cheapo sea side special's (rod n reel's) we tried our luck at peel harbour,we caught dozen's of macky's and saw my first ever conger caught........that was it "hooked"for life...thank's to Mike Hailwood and co.....mick.

6. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I started off fly fishing at the age of 9 on the river Esk. Then few years moved into coarse fishing.
    My first sea trip was about 11 12 year old with me dad, we went to runswick off the rock LHS sharing his glass fiber rod (which he had since a young lad) and an anchient reel, had a box of squid a home made head lamp made from a sweat band and bits n bobs. We caught nothing but I loved it. Remember it as if it were yesterday.

7. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Magical stories, did nobody get into this lark later in life? I was 35 before I bought my first rod, great memories of fishing occasionally with my dad aged about 5/6 on the local pond, maybe that was enough to set the spark that fired up as soon as I gave rock fishing a go in Scotland :)

8. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i remember nicking off sunday school at elam hall used the money to buy handlines at harry wrelton in redcar and went billet bashing off the scars using mussel tongue
    brill memories and always caught loads in those days
    but needed to get the gullys right or wet pants

9. jethro

jethro New Member

I was 10 when my dad took me to Bridlington for the day with a load of his mates from work. He tackled up for me and showed me how to go on with baiting up etc,,. I remember catching loads of codling and whiting but I do believe my first fish was a Plaice that weighed around the 4lb mark. I always remember my old man telling his mates about me being a spawney git with the fish.

Wish he was here today to do it again..

10. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Early 60,s saltburn pier.

cousins from Wakefield used to stay at grans , the parents went to redcar races

i had to go with my cousins on saltburn pier, armed with a handline , i was left near to the

old tap on the ship in side of the pier. this was the only place to fish due to some festival

taking place, and you were facing the beach.

it was amazing watching the mackerel "following" up the herring strip as i retrieved the old

watch weight & brass booms with spade end hooks on.

i didnt catch any, but everyone else did who had float fished.

that was the start of 50yrs plus enjoyment, no drug/alchohol /women can come near to

our addiction.

11. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

my first fishing trip was with my grandad and I was 6 or 7, we fished the river Trent in Sawley at Trent Lock I caught a roach. maybe less than a year later, my dad bought me fishing to Whitby, we booked on with Tut on North Star on one day and also fished on Rosemarie the other, that was 1987. Those boat trips made me want my own charter boat and worked towards it all my life

12. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

The title of the pic should be 'Watch here - fish will appear'

BP

13. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

I was in the late 60's about 10 and was on a day trip to Whitby with my folks. Dad bought me one of those 4ft green glass rods with a wooden handle and a small Bakelite centerpin reel. It came ready rigged with a float and I was itching to try it. We bought a carton of mussels from the old lady in the wooden kiosk near the fish quay (over the years I used to watch her shelling mussels amazed at the speed she could do them, that's how I learned the art but I'm nowhere near as proficient at it), and off to kiddies corner.

I had no idea on how to put a mussel on a hook and certainly knew nothing about using elasticated thread. I sill remember the magic of seeing the float bobbing and diving under as the billet ripped the mussel apart. I eventually hooked a small billet (or it committed suicide),it would only have been a fish of 6 or 8 inch but that was it I've been hooked ever since.

Now 45 years down the line I still have a soft spot for kiddies corner though I no longer fish there every time I'm in Whitby I stand and watch for a few minutes. How many like me have started or will start their fishing careers there hooked for life by one small humble billet.

14. jaydee

jaydee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Two memories really, both me and me bro on Sundays going off the Brigg with my grandparents catching billet pars with rods made from split canes outta the garden that was on black hole I remember that like it was yesterday not 40 years ago,and second has got to be hot hot summers (earlier than 76)catching mackerel off high nab bottom and cock and hen ole .....bloody fish scales caked all over me glasses and the likes of Robbie Harrison and meddy running all over the place chasing the mackies .mint times :yes:

15. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Bluming heck it was on kiddies corner with my dad i think i was about 5or 6 loads of big billet in whitby harbour in those days .
    First time on a boat was with my eldest brother john who is no longer with us it was on a small coble about 1969 or 1970 i remember everybody jigging with a 1lb weight and 3 cod feathers the boat was full of fish and we were plagued by spurdogs there was a lot of them in those days.

paul.

16. bow1

bow1 Rockling

A few come to mind.fishing with my dad on all of emon my 6 birthday up before light to fish fish quay at sunderland.caught nowt but dad told me id lost a whopper!i now suspect not!
    Fishing bandstand whitby on hols for billet aneating them.first time i ate my catch.
    Charter out whitby age bout 8.only fish i caught was prob a spur gog or smoothy bout ten pound.remember the men laughing as i struggled to get it aboard.orange corlene line etc.
    Also fishing for minnows with tiny float/hook age bout 4 at finchale abbey on wear.think mams gotta foto of that.
    Wish i could do it all again!!!

17. Bernie

Bernie Blenny

Stared at Kiddies corner aged about 10 catching pennock and odd flounder. Aged about 13 I used to cycle to Ruswarp to fish the Esk in the 60s - small trout and flounders plus loads of snotters. There were always salmon crashing about but I never hooked one. Then one day I had a Mepps 2 on and I hooked a 4lb sea trout. Next thing I knew 2 bailiffs came out of the bushes to help me land it. They were so delighted that someone had caught a fish fair and square (rather than snatching) they let me keep it even though I only had a trout licence.
    I was proud carrying that home on my handlebars !

After that it was Mackerel and then Cod that dominated.

18. jeff123

jeff123 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

My first day out fishing was, 45 year ago, my uncle Stan took me on Steetly pier, he was in the fishing club, i remeber they had a old bike wheel frame with a net on to drop to get the fish up,
    there was about 6 fishing and all had cod, not codling, i had a hand line down the side, and my fist ever fish was a coalie, ended up with 9, i remeber a lad moaning cos he had only caught 3 cod ha ha, how things have changed, jeff

19. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Been meaning to reply to this thread for weeks, but only just found this pic!

[​IMG]

I am a late starter compared to many, I never once went as a kid and my dad didn't fish (he does now!) This picture is 11 years old now and is me and the first two fish I caught 'myself'.

I had gone on holiday with my parents, my sister and her new husband. The destination was the Isle of Coll in the Inner Hebrides, site of many family holidays as a kid. For some reason decided I wanted to try fishing so bought an all in kit. Little did I know that Coll is not a bad place to start!

We booked a morning on a boat around the Island and caught saithe (same as a coalie I think?!) and pollock, but all caught with little skill from us, the skipper did tell us about a good shore mark.....a deep bit of water complete with a wreck you could cast over from the rocks.

So the next day we tried it out, with just the one rod between us and first cast I caught the bigger of the two pollock in the pic, green jellyworm behind a 2oz lead. Caught the two in the picture and lost loads more to the wreck/kelp!

Since then I started to get into the shore fishing a bit before I discovered flyfishing. All has taken a back seat the last 3 year's with 3 daughters arriving but hoping to make some time this year, including trying some proper boat fishing!

Still remember like yesterday the shock I felt when that first pollock stopped my retrieve and then it dived......

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

20. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

my 1st experience of fishing was my local pond..... we were nesting as you do when ya kids...wading about in the reeds looking for ducks, coots and waggyhens (waterhens) nests and we came across a big fish floating dead in amongst the reeds..

none of us knew about fishing or had fishing rods but we knew a bloke in the village who went fishing.....so we all ( 4 of us) marched up to his house all excited about how he would show us what to do and how we catch loads of fish ...

he didnt believe us we found a fish ...he said "theres nowt in that pond but rats....." but after retrieving the fish and running back to his house and showing him it ... he agreed to show us what to do and take some old gear with him...

the following night we waited for him to get in from work and true to his word he came with us down the "bogs" which was the local name for the pond and surrounding marshy area...

within minutes of setting up a rod ... he had a fish on the bank.... it was a roach... he gave us all a go at casting out and reeling in.... and we all caught fish loads of them ...all roach... caught on bread...

over the years most of the lads in the village fished it at one time or another.... as some of us became older and better anglers... it was quite possible to catch 50lb in a day on maggot, bread and sweetcorn... yes 50lb of roach was no problem... i thing one lad got 63lb once... many fish averaged about a pound.... some were a lot bigger... my record was 3lb 3oz...

over the years as more people heard about the pond.... more species of fish appeared... many introduced by visiting anglers but also many of the big roach went missing.... a club from the newcastle area were caught taking fish out and got into bother thru it....with the local parish council

now the pond has a good head of tench, crucians, skimmers plus the obligatory perch and it did have some big carp in but the winter a couple of years ago killed almost all the carp off..... not bad for a small local pond that was free to fish....

thanks for reading
    Paul