1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your first cod ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 3, 2007.

1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

9lb 8oz, Cayton Bay, Nov 2007 :yes:

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

There's two things I remember in my pathetic life, my first shag and first cod, both were many moons ago but the latter is still at the forefront of my memory, as it took more than 40 seconds to land it :nerd:

A 3lber on Whitby West

3. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Off port jetty,caught on a big ball of mussell.Got so excited i packed up straight away and headed back up the bank at break neck speed passing several amazed anglers as i did.Weighed it back at home at 8lb 3oz and that was me hooked.

4. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

my first cod was in my dads friends boat about 3-4 lb when i was 14 caught on a jigger with a scarborough reel! with piece of silver foil on the hook..almost 20 years ago,i remember it like it was yesterday.ahhh the memories.. :happy: :happy: :happy:

5. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Mine was 1969/70,whitby west pier,about 3lb only my third outing,after fishing sandsend,upgang catching flatties that was it i was smitten had some brilliant sessions since but nothing like that first "rattle" :educated:

6. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, im not sure how old i was 14/15 maybe fishing a middlesbrough victorians match at seaton crew it was 3lb ish if i can still remember i was buzzin at school all week :laugh:

7. mr motorola

mr motorola New Member

Hi all.
    Mine wasn't one but 2. I was around 10 years old and my father took me out on one of the fishing clubs free trips. The boat was Rose of Sharon out of Whitby , George Bowes.
    I'd never done the whole jigging thing before and was given a very short demo before i dropped the jigger in the water and down it went. I hit the bottom and attempted to jig , nope no movement , it was solid and not budging an inch. I shouted my dad and he took the rod off me and proceded to remove the fast. It carried on coming up....turned out it was 2 cod both around the 10lb mark.
    I had a great first trip fishing that day and George took us back in early as the deck was spilling over and we didn't have the room or time to look after anymore. 1985 was the year i believe.

Needless to say ,after i had got the swing of things that i was hooked on fishing from that day to the present.
    Good days.

8. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Now thinking back if my memories serve me right i got my first cod off the west peir in the late 60ss and it was roughly about 4or 5lb i took it home gutted it and laid it on the draing board next to the kitchen sink and just staired at this massive cod till my mother came in the kithchen and said get that fish in the shed it was my pride and joy i cradle it and took it to the shed.

paul.

9. deecee

deecee Blenny

Saltburn pier 1964 . To anybody who would listen it was well into double figures . I reckon it was really about 2lb but to me it was the fish of a lifetime - it still is - I reckon your first one is always special . Used a 7' solid glass pier rod and a Scarbrough reel . Bait was Herring from good old Mac Fisheries

10. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

My rod was an edger sealey 10ft solid glass rod with a black price fixed spool.

paul,

11. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

My old man treated me to two days boat fishing in october 1987, I was only 7. 1st day on Tommy Lewis' boat Rosemarie skippered by Arthur, I got my 1st cod of about 3 1/2lb on mussel then followed it up with another 6 or 7 fish, my old man got the biggest on the boat that day, must have been just shy of 20lb. He still beats me with the biggest cod now! 2nd day we fished with Tut on North Star I was feeling chuffed Id caught my 1st witing as it was a new species, till Tut chopped it up for bait, I bagged three nice ling that day. It was a great two days I had an old shakespeare sea serpent boat rod and a mitchell 600 reel, which I still have to this day its only ever needed a new spool.

12. skl

skl Blenny

40 Seconds!!!!!!! Wow I would be well happy :happy: :happy: :happy:

13. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

Scarborough Kayak comp 2008......!!

14. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

think mine was off the old pilot jetty south gare, must of been about 5 ins long and in the mid 60,s

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Think my first cod was out on a boat, my first wifes grandad had a boat in middleton called the dolphin, Eddy his name was i had been maried for about six months and i thought bloomin great this married into a boat :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i was 19 at the time ,had loads of trips out with him ,cod ,haddock, place, big whiting, it was great , first shore cod was of staincliff beach i think seaton carew about 4lb, me and a mate used to get the train nfrom stockton to hartlepool with our bike,s and stay all night then get the first train back in the morning , aye great times they were :yes: oh to be young again :sad: