1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Favourite Multiplier Reel

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 23, 2008.

?

What Is Your Favourite Reel For Rock Fishing

Poll closed Oct 3, 2008.
  1. Penn 525

20.5%
  2. Abu 7000 - 7500

25.0%
  3. Abu 9000

2.3%
  4. Daiwa Slosh 20

2.3%
  5. Daiwa Slosh 30

31.8%
  6. Daiwa Slosh 40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Morrum

2.3%
  8. Calcutta

9.1%
  9. Penn 535

6.8%
  10. Grays G Mag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

THis topic was originally run by Smokey about 18 month back now. As time has moved on and we now also have more members I wondered if they outcome of the poll would be the same. Here is Smokeys question.

"With technology moving on so fast and so much choice on the market,whats the reel you love and use most? I use a 525 mag 95% of the time,loaded with suffix tritanium 25lb and a 60lb leader,and an old 7000c3 for the clifftops."

2. dbrown

dbrown Guest

I use all of the time two 7000 rockets for cliffs and all over the rocks.

3. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

You fish with two rods all of the time Dan :whistle:

4. Maxie

Maxie New Member

slosh 20/30 without a doubt,so cheap yet cast well and last for ages.

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I seem to go through phases with reels but mainly for the bottoms I favour my 525's loaded with Ultima Distance.
    The 525 mag extra's are running on yellow rocket oil and recently I ve added a blob of melted candle wax into the mag slider control so that the control doesn t get accidentally knocked (a good clean with lighter fluid and the wax has stayed put two sessions now).
    The reel for the tops is a Penn 535 GS loaded with 35lb F1 as a cranking tool the 535 is great and still casts pretty well.

I have a couple of the infamous prone to locking blue plated Abu 7500 ct's which run very fast ,I haven t had any problems with them to date.

The Abu 7000 ct mag is my most expensive bit of bling and least used/favoured and I would recommend staying clear of them !

Cheers Jellyworm.

6. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Calcutta 700BSV its the dogs nads. Then 525 xtra's loaded with 25lb f1 and 80lb leaders

7. trickie999

trickie999 New Member

slosh 20/30 without a doubt :canadian: :canadian: :canadian:

8. Steve

Steve Rockling

slosh 30 on bottoms loadedwith 30lb ultima f1 straight through
    penn545 loaded with 80/100lb braid straight through for cliffs
    also have 2 daiwa slosh 50's and a slosh 40

9. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

slosh 30 for me. Got the new one in a 20 but i prefer the older ones :yes:

10. GJW

GJW Rockling

Calcutta 700 bsv is by far the best rough ground reel i have used, it casts well and is well behaved and holds plenty of line and havent had any problem dragging fish through rough ground with it.

11. baza

baza New Member

slosh 30s, short range 30lb straight thru. penn mags 20-25lb at range(ish)

12. mike_

mike_ New Member

thats bad news jellyworm - was saving up for one of them :wounded: are the china ones really that bad. my next choice was a Shimano Torium, maybe with a tornement style single mag grafted on it just to be different lol.

mike

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Mike_ have a scan back through the archives and there was an interesting thread on the Abu 7000 ct mag.

Basically though I was lured by the promise of an all singing and dancing bit of kit only to find that the first one i got had a spool that ran out of true and fouled on the side of the cage.
    Having had that one replaced the second one at least has a true running spool but and its a big but ! Don't be deceived by the reports from articles such as the one from John Holden in Dangler......the reel comes with 3 mags fitted not 6...mine ran slow with no magnets at all (removed from the carrier)...so I had to set about finding why and what I could do about it.

To cut a long story short I ended up with a tub of valve grinding paste a drill and a couple of hours bedding in the spindle in the brass bush at the gear end,it was too tight and strangling the reel....eventually I managed to get it running not half bad....but what a load of hassle just to get it running similar to how a 535 or 525 runs straight out of the box.

I ve got several old Swedish made Abu reels and they are cracking (well except one that needs a new cage ! ),the new Chinese made versions ...well from my experience leave a lot to be desired....at least in the larger sizes.

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

So far the poll is not too disimilar to the last one.

15. mike_

mike_ New Member

what a shame :cry: ABU took the cheap and nasty route. thanx for that jelly.

mike

16. IanB

IanB Blenny

I have 2 x NINE'S
    1 x 7000
    1 x slosh 30
    1 x 7HT mag
    3 x Egg Beaters

For me its the NINE every time! :yes: :yes: its never let me down

17. woody

woody New Member

i have a couple of 6500s for the beach thinking of swapping for the 525 mag extra asfor rock reals i think the slosh 30s take some beating you can abuse them not wash them chuck m in a box n they have never let me down i also use the shv and sha the gold spool one, on occasion for the cliff work n uptiding :cheesy:

18. andyp

andyp New Member

For short range rough ground i use either slosh 30s or abu 7500 c3 but for distance ill use 525 supers every time.
    Also use 535 mags for the cliffs for a bit more crancking power.

19. trickie999

trickie999 New Member

:laugh: Just bought another slosh 30 try rasie that poll :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

20. fishergirl

fishergirl Blenny

i used to always use 7000's but lately i've had a go with a 525. i prefer using the 7000 - probably cos i'm used to it, but also because i can cast my 7000 filled with 35lb a hell of alot further than i can the 525 filled with light line.

i've got three 7000's to pick from at home, two reds one black, and i think they are all from the early 1980's, and they are still in very good nick. although my dad did admit that the best of the three is hidden in the logshed with a level wind still on it - prrof that he is trying to sabotage my fishing... :surprise: