1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your favourite flattie rig??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mouldybits, Dec 2, 2008.

1. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

whats it gotta be? :crazy:

2. Gillbo

Gillbo Blenny

For flounder a two up one down flapper tied with clear rig body, and light long 18''-36'' flurocarbon trace with stop knot, bead and sequin down to a size 1/0-6 hook (Mustad crab) depending upon venue and bait. Leads vary from gripper, plain, breakaway flat lead or watch lead depending upon venue and conditions. favourite flounder bait has to be peeler, maddies, white rag, with mackerel or herring tip.
    For dabs a 3 hook flapper with avis or small breakaway, short traces of 9''-15'' with a red sequin and hooks are Mustad or Varivas aberdeen pattern between a Sz. 1 to a Sz. 4. For dabs i like to nail the bait to the deck but provide a bit of movement, i have noticed though that catches have declined while using floating beads on snoods under certain conditions. Baits for dab are gutted blacks, common lug, ragworm with herring, mackerel, squid and razor tip.
    For plaice a clipped down wishbone rig, two hook bomber rig or two hook flapper depending upon venue. I like to use a long snood of 18''-30'' for plaice and try to use some attractor beads in luminous, black and green and pearl. Hooks are larger Mustad or Varivas aberdeen patterns in size 2/0 down to 2 depending upon baits, venue, conditions etc. The baits i like to use for plaice are peeler, ragworm, yellow tails and squids (tip with a strip or tentacle).
    These are just my opinions and as i say it does vary upon the condition and venue. Off the boat it is a very different matter but i do think flatties like a bait on the deck with a little bit of movement.

3. Maxie

Maxie New Member

for flounders straight two hook flapper for me one up one down,i went down the long light hooklength route myself but came back to heavier shorter hooklengths as it was easier to fish with and doesnt seem to catch any less,one of the best ne anglers was using real heavy hooklengths next to me one day and hammered me!
    for plaice i fish a two or three up rig with shorter hooklengths 10-12 inch as it makes a shorter more castable rig if you need to put it out,i dont usually bother with beads as ive come to th conclusion if they are in front of you theyll feed attractors or not,if not a few beads wont pull fish in from afar,but if you want to use them why not they wont put them off.
    dabs short hooklengths 6-8inch 3up rig.

4. IanB

IanB Blenny

Come on Phil, Flatties at this time of year, is it because the cod are
    being elusive to you, changing the subject :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

damn right it is lol i'm just trying to get my reputation point up lol

6. newdave

newdave Guest

I think the only way you can do that phil is buy a leeds season ticket

7. trickie999

trickie999 New Member

If glen gets a seasons ticket you will have 10000000000000000000000000000000000 lol

8. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

what!? and waste good money lol

9. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

:laugh:

2-3 hook flapper

keep it simple phil

10. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

i usually use a 2 hook flapper,one with a larger hook maybe upto 3/0 max and the smaller one usually about 2 or 3 sizes smaller than the bigger of the two,generally though no smaller than a size 1

11. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

i usually us size 2-1 when whiting fishing, dont target flattys as they are probably the fish i hate the most barring weevers :wounded: , still get a fair few though

wouldnt mind catching a halibut though

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I really fancy having a go for some plaice from the yak. I heard you can et them at runswick in the spring.

13. Davo

Davo Rockling

I fancy having a go at that myself Matty, just say when. I'm sure Phil told me theres some good Plaice holding sandbanks off Sandsend, so maybe worth a try.

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

three hook flapper siz :whistle:e 1 hook ,doe's the bussiness every time ,yep dav there is a few plaice get caught if you target them ,we used to get afew when fishing the samf matches many moons ago now

15. macca

macca Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

2 or 3 hook flapper with 12" hooklength size 4 sakuma mantas

16. Fishaman07

Fishaman07 New Member

A simple 2-3 hook flapper rig or portsmouth/2 hook clipped up rig works well for me. :wink: