1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Favourite Area Of The Yorkshire Coast ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

A lot of us who live in Whitby forget that the Yorkshire coastline stretches any further than Sandsend and Saltwick. Fortunately over the past few years I have made some friends through the forum and they have opened my eyes a bit to the fishing that is available in Yorkshire and the stunning coastline that comes with it. In this time I have become particularly fond of the area around Flamborough, not just for the fishing but also for the beautiful cliffs and the wildlife that exists there..

What is your favourite area of the Yorkshire Coast and why ??

2. GJW

GJW Rockling

Yes i would say Flamborough and Bempton the cliffs are my favourites too, they are so impressive and the widlife is awesome, such a lovelly area i think we are blessed with some great coast line from Saltburn to Brid and i am so glad that i live not to far away from it, also i love the old fishing villages like Staithes and RHB there is something really special about them you get a sense of all the history which surrounds them when you are there..

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

any of it

4. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Not sure I could pick a favourite, they all are great depending on what you're doing. There's the two ends of Filey Bay (and the even the bit in the middle!), Hayburn and Cloughton Wyke, Kettleness...

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

its very hard to pick a favourite because it is so varied, and thats what makes it so special. youve got the flamborough cliffs , big sandy bays like filey, and small fishing villages like staithes and runswick, its magic!

6. GizzaCod

GizzaCod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It's got to be looking down on to Flamboroughs North Landing on a hot summers day with the sea gin clear. I've been in the Med and the Caribbean and nothing is quite like that view.

7. carpyken

carpyken New Member

As has already been mentioned it has to be Bempton from the bottoms, prefarably sat on a yak. Its an amazing piece of coastline, its sheer size, the geological formations in the chalk, the birds, the kelp forests, I always think its what some of the the coastline of New Zealand must look like, not that I've eve been but I've seen Jurassic Park and Lord of the Rings :cheesy:

We are blessed with some beautiful coastline though. And you really do see some of it at its best while out on a yak. The bays are stunning too while sat out there - RHB, Runswick even Sandsend.

8. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Thornick for me just because i love it there

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

There are some area,s i have only fished a few times ,like cloughten whyke ,under bempton ,and gristhorpe,they are beautiful place,s, often when i have fished there ,i stand with my rod in hand just taking in the view,s they are awsome, i would like to fish around robin hoods bay,and fyley brigg,and north landing ,some of the photo,s posted are spectaculer to say the least :yes: i mainly fish between saltburn and whitby ,and they to have some awsome sights,huntcliff,whitestones ,boulby cliffs and the great little villages,staithes ,runswick, goldsbrough,it is immpossible to pick one from so many,it truely is Gods country,crickey i am getting a lump thinking about it :cry:

10. newdave

newdave Guest

Bempton then Ravenscar for me. As a serial traveller I have been fortunate to visit some of the worlds most beautiful places. this coastline is up there with them all :yes:

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I haven't seen much of Flamborough so couldn't say much about it but lets be honest anywhere from Saltburn down to Flamborough is beautiful :yes: If I had to choose I guess it would have to be Runswick Bay (to Goldsborough), never get bored of runny and more so when kayak fishing on a flat calm sea on a summer's evening.
    Flamborough does look great on the pics and if I had fished there much before I'd probably say there but for now Runny is number one :happy:

12. robq

robq Rockling

bempton for me :yes: with flamboro a close 2nd

I always feel optomistic when I set off to fish there even when conditions are poor. Plus its such an amazing place to fish even if you blank.The adrenalin and exhileration going down those cliffs is enough to make anyones day :happy:

13. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Bloomin eck were do you start,coming from a mining community the yorks coastline was our only chance of a family holiday be it day trips,or if you were really lucky a full week,thornwick holds some great memmories for me in fact it was the first time i ever saw the sea!that's inprinted in my head camera forever!every time i go back i'm straight back to 1958,and dyknow what very little has changed(thank god) i think thats whats magical about that part of the coast line all the way up to whitby,apart fro filey &scarbrough,wich also holds fond memmories,it's the shear rugged timeless beauty these places hold,may they continue forever!!!

14. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I think it's an impossible question Glenn, as said we really are blessed with such a diverse coastline, and the fishing is equally diverse, if I had to meet my maker next week and he said you can have one days fishing before, I would choose an evening tide on a flat, clear sea in July and spend the time mooching around Staintondale with a bucket full of fresh crab

15. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

What a fantastic question!!!!!!!!!! Having fished in the summer for the 1st time last year I would have to say the area around Flamborough and Bempton, my favourate spot being the scaurs at Thornwick, the scenery and tranquility, awesome............Ventured under the cliffs under Bempton just the once and what a place.....I remember the 2nd time i fished Tennis courts with Adrian, sorry Moley, the sea was like gin and a very light greeny/blue colour, stunning............

I also love the area around Robin Hoods Bay, what a beautifull place, always get a real buz and have nearly been in the edge a few times as i have been driving down the hill breaking my neck trying to see if there was white water breaking over the scaurs.............

16. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Got to be Bempton and Flamborough...You can't beat been up there on a hot summers day with a flat clear sea...Awesome!

17. bassman

bassman Administrator

Bemmo and Flamboro the scenery is stunning :yes:

18. kirkby lad

kirkby lad New Member

the walk from runswick to whitby is my fav

19. deecee

deecee Blenny

Has to be Staithes for me – as much to do with nostalgia as fishing. I spent most of my childhood holidays there from the age of four. We used to rent a cottage on the front .

One big suitcase for the entire family and a bus journey from Middlesbrough to Staithes - seemed like a long expedition in those days. When you got off the bus there would be a load of local kids with home made barrows . They would wheel your suitcase down to the village for a shilling.

Those were the days when there was still a small fleet of cobles working and one of my long abiding memories is watching the catch being landed and the crabs and lobsters going into the holding tanks at James’ at the top of the slip . I would hang about there for hours. Over the years we got to know many of the locals (most long gone now) - there was still a lot of them in those days with the women wearing the traditional bonnets and the fisherman in their blue ganzies.

The place used to be bustling then– I remember there being butchers, greengrocers , bank, food/gift shops, pork shop, co-op, post office, newsagents, three pubs in the village,toffee crackle in help yourself bags with an honesty box for your money, Copper Kettle and Bridge coffee bars, Unthanks and Kirkhill chip shops , the Pork Shop , cornish ice creams from Mrs Orams shop….. the memories come flooding back – boy do I feel old!! It’s still a nice place but a shadow of its former self when it was a busy working port with plenty of local residents working in or around the village

The Health & Safety Brigade didn’t exist then – it was a joy to go onto the beach and take short boat trips from local cobles that would pull onto the beach and fill up to the gunnels with happy families at a tanner a head ( = sixpence , sorry two and a half pence to you young uns out there!).

The days were never long enough and we spent them fishing, crabbing, winkling and just messing about on the rocks and up the beck. Used to dig some big yellowtails right in the middle of the harbour. Those and a bucket of peelers and flithers would be carried to Port Mulgrave, either along the rocks or along the cliff path, where we would fish with the old man’s greenheart rod and Scarborough reel.

Make friends with a few local lads and you were in for free mackerel fishing trips – this was for pot bait but you were always allowed to keep a few mackerel and any wayward mops that had taken a shine to your feathers .

I remember lots of good weather but also day after day of rain - didn't seem to spoil the fun too much. No TV, no video games but we never had enough hours in the day . How things have changed.

Staithes and villages like RHB seem to epitomise the coast for me - rocks, sea , cliffs, becks, sand, crabs, fish, winkles – and, generally speaking, nice/real people. It’s changed and is continuing to change but there is still nowhere like these villages on the Yorkshire coast .

Cheers
    Dave

20. trentotter

trentotter Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

favourite place on the yorkshire coast? WHITBY,WHITBY AND WHITBY,so many memories,holidays with my parants,my wife and kids and never ever get bored of the place.just today my kids asked "when we going to whitby text dad"sadly it ll be to scatter my wifes ashes,which is where she wants to be.more excuses to visit the place...............