1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your angling roots ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

How it all started...well when jellyworm was nowt but a grubb....his old man used to be secretary of his works angling section...traditionally fishing the rivers in summer and then the beaches in winter...I got dragged along and spent most of the time wandering about or getting my tackle in a twist...hmm not a lot changes.
    That early influence though set me up for a lifetime of enjoying angling in most forms from odd Whitby boat trips on "Never can tell a " to a serious obsession with carp and several forays into sea angling.This recent one has totally got me hooked...fnarr fnarr :laugh:
    I had a go a few years ago and mainly fished the Brigg but only this time have I really started to think about my fishing.....to be honest to the point of at times doing not a lot else....how will I crack Blea Wyke ?...one day.

The thing for me was that despite learning what my "long rod " was for those early years of learning to appreciate fishing that my old man instilled in me has stayed with me.

So young Danny B once you bag your first Brid spragg think on a good sh*g is one thing but always keep your fishing going it will be your saviour in those frustrating nattering times you have still to experience ! :yes:

Oh yes and watch the cliffs next time ! :cry:

Cheers Jellyworm.

2. steerser

steerser Blenny

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

3. GJW

GJW Rockling

Is Pong, Mark Longstaff?? I have been on Marks boats in the Gambia, he must be raking it in over there..... :yes: :yes:

4. steerser

steerser Blenny

nearly right mate....longster....not longstaff..he was hung like a chinese mouse. :laugh: :laugh: he'll kill me if if he reads this..

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

:laugh: :laugh:

6. GJW

GJW Rockling

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Cheer's steerser, He has a canny little buisness in the Gambia.... :yes:

7. robq

robq Rockling

didnt he take John Wilson out for one of the series out of "go fishing" from the gambia a few years back ??

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

I am not sure robq, but it could possibly be him because i dont think there is to many other charter's out there... :happy:

9. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

when i was 10 i started going to barry docks every day after school if the weather was ok then we started fishing with some lads who were older than me who my brothers new i went to fishguard with them on a comp but i didnt enter the comp i caught a 6lb4oz wrasse they took me bass fishing and conger fishing i was hooked as i got older me and mates used to fish marks around barry when i was 16 i caught 10lb6 bass when i finished work i would go fishing on my bike so in summer fish for congers,bass ,rays and in winter for cod that was when the bristol channel was full of cod there was one man who when i seen him i used to watch how he casted and i learnt to pendlum cast he was one of the top match anglers there wasnt many people who did it in them days i moved up here when was 22 been up here 14 years
    cheers ian
    if any one wants any info on south wales pm me

10. Gas_mantle

Gas_mantle Guest

For me it all started about 25yrs ago In Weymouth, I was having a bad time of things at that point in my life and decided to have a week away to unwind a bit.

Each afternoon I'd take a walk along the local pier and watch the guys fishing for an hour, over the course of a few days I got to recognise one guy who was there each day. Gradually we got chatting and he asked if I was an angler ? I replied that I wasn't but would like to give it a try if I knew what to do !

Without any hesitation this guy reeled in one of his rods and said 'here have a go, I'll show you what to do !' Sure enough he gave me a basic lesson in putting a rag on the hook and minutes later I've caught my first ever fish ! ... a tiny little wrasse !

After a few hours I'd made up my mind, I liked sea fishing and it was time to buy my own rod.

Nothing was too much trouble to this guy so when he offered to take a walk with me to the local tackle shop and show me what I needed for a beginners outfit I gladly accepted his help.

Half an hour later we're back fishing the pier again and I'm happy as a pig in sh*t catching, more wrasse, mackerel and garfish on my own rod !

Over the next few days we arranged to meet each afternoon before retiring to the local pubs of an evening.

Sadly we never exchanged contact details, though I have visited Weymouth many times since and each time I always take a walk along the pier in the hope he's there. Up to now I've drawn a blank :sad:

25 yrs later and still a keen angler I'd love to meet him again and offer my thanks over a few pints of the amber stuff :happy:

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The sport needs more people like that.

12. skl

skl Blenny

I started fishing at the age of 10 mainly river fishing. As soon as I could drive I started sea fishing (23 years ago). Most of my weekends were spent on Filey Brigg, I did not do too well at the start but after catching a mop of about 2lb there was no turning back. After another 2 or 3 years and having better equipment and learning about peeler crab I started to enter a few matches. I managed a 3rd in one of the Scarborough Festivals And a 1st in one of the Filey Festivals which bagged me this cup (does anybody remember them).

[​IMG][​IMG]

The biggest fish I had back then was a 12-1/2lb cod from crab hole.

Fishing then had to be put to one side as my wife packed in her job to start a family, 4 kids later and only one bread winner all my time was spent at work.

The main reason I have started again is one of my lads wanted to have ago. Now he has spent some of his hard eared cash on some gear I have started to take him. Our first session was last September, we have not been too many times but he has caught 3 codling plus the usual others like wrasse, rockling, and billet. I have had three cod the biggest being around 7lb.

What I have found hard is I am having to learn new spots where distance casting is not required as he can not cast that far. As I said earlier most of my fishing years ago was done at Brigg and I had learnt to cast quite a long way. This site has been really helpful in finding areas that I had not been before and updating me with the latest tackle. I am hoping to take him to some matches this coming winter.

13. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Nice one SKL, work got in the way of my fishing, and a family, I came third in a Filey match years ago and all I got was a bottle of vodka that went down well :surprise: get yourself and your lad into the festivals this year, I'm looking forward to them already

cheers Quint

14. skl

skl Blenny

I got a bottle of whisky for the 3rd place at the scarborough Festival (it was the start of a slipery slope) :crazy:

15. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

:laugh: :laugh:

16. bengunn426

bengunn426 Blenny

helo lads,i started fishing with a few older lads who probably without them i wouldnt be fishing today,they borrowed me a sea streak multiplier ,i dont know what rod it was but you could bend the tip to butt with a rockling on,they supplied the bait and transport was allways there ,they even supplied some food ,i was like a leech,i was keen 1982, then i caught a codling of about a pound and half, then that was it here i am today with the rest persuing what draws us and the feelings you get when you get that lunker on your line and your wondering how big . i know nothing else but too fish :yes: :happy:

17. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I started at the tender age of 7, cannot remember where the first spark came from but my first outings were in East Park lake in Hull with a pier rod and a bent pin (literally) - still remember my first ever bite - mad eh? I missed it and my terminal gear flew over my shoulder. Dad was in the army and I took up coarse fishing keenly over there-we had a pond on the barracks which I remember with great fondness. Was spoilt as a youngster as the fishing was amazing in Germany and around the Dutch boarder-my parents have never forgiven me for bringing a double figure carp home in a bin liner, was made to take it back n swim with it till it revived, sea fishing was just down to a few holidays on the Dutch coast after macky etc and a few sessions down Holderness, King George Dock and up on Brid wall while visiting family back over here in the UK through the winter. We eventually came back to the uk when I was 15 and I coarse fished over here(and a bit of fly fishing :embarrass:) but became despondent after being so spoilt over in Germany n Holland - oh and i found girlies too :wink:. I carried on my coarse fishing seeking out never fished ponds and gravel pits with a fair bit of success but kinda fizzled out for a few years, Still drowned a few lug worms thru the winter up n down Holderness tho. Then came new enthusiasm for coarse fishing and joined a local club, after a couple of years ended up becoming club secretary and worked my t*ts off booking matches, running leagues and organising events etc, won a fair few club trophies too, also had a bit of fun pleasure fishing some of the Yorkshire rivers after chub, barbel n grayling. Ten years on and I needed a rest and somehow took up carp fishing and ended up spending half my life on 3 lakes at Selby under a bivvy n eating pizza delivered to my peg :embarrass: 3am carp runs after a bottle of vodka were murder :laugh:, again had great passion and enthusiasm for it but after catching some of the lakes biggest fish I became disillusioned again. Have had a couple of great winter seasons on the beaches with the odd session up on our chalk cliffs but now looking forward to plenty of yak fishing and not taking it all too seriously :happy:

18. bassman

bassman Administrator

Started my fishing at Whitby with my granfather, we used to go once a year to visit my grandmothers relations. We had some good times down the pier :happy: :happy: :happy:

19. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

remember them mugs well skl ,i tryed my hardest to win one ,and finally got one by default (they had a few spare ) ,well done matey :wink:

20. langy

langy Rockling

I started of with my grandad he took me on the brigg and various spots then my uncle(Smokey)took me all over and won the winter league and the filey festival for Filey.
    And my uncle (Moses) takes me now and agen..We had some good times then.......

Langy