1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your angling roots ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Mar 28, 2008.

1. robq

robq Rockling

A recent thread has left me wondering how and when and how some of the regular and good anglers got into NE rock angling scene ??
    personally I had been angling mainly course/boat and estuary in the colchester area from 6 until I was 13 (1983) when I moved to Hull. It was then on family days out to the N.Yorks coast I found my fascination for the rocks and in particular filey brigg which I fell in love with !!
    Every oportunity was spent on fishing there in the summer holidays and when I left school and home at 16 I spent as much time as I could afford there catching the last train from Hull at night and then getting the first train back in the morning even in the dead of winter :surprise: :surprise: there were loads of scarboro and filey club lads who helped me loads with advice back then, In particular a bloke called pete from filey club ( who I remeber watching get a 9lber from ling rock in aug 87) and Bob Brannon who I bumped into from time to time, they must have thought I was daft !! :crazy: :crazy:
    I absolutely lived for the sport then and when my girlfreind bought me a first decent headlight from filey tackle for xmas I was over the moon :yes: :yes: a reconditioned NCB lamp for £35 + £30 for the charger as I remember !!
    Those were the good old days for me :happy: :happy: even if I didnt catch that much :whatever: :whatever: and although transport has improved as has my overall knowledge and catchrate I still miss those days when my appetite for learning was insatiable !!

Rob

2. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Every Friday night when i was about 6 my grandad you'st to take me onto Brid pier south wall and fish for flatties e.t.c.
    He then started taking me coarse fishing every Saturday to ponds round Brid, York way.
    Then about a year and 3 months ago I went to south landing with Tcliffe and thats it i've loved it from then on he took me on the cliffs the day after my b-day and i was loving it.

Dan.

3. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Bet that headlight lasted longer than the girlfriend Quiny :canadian: :canadian:

4. GJW

GJW Rockling

Think it all started for me when i was a junior in the local sea fishing club, i use to see the older lads come back with bags of cod from far away rock marks and i longed for the day's that i would be old enough to tag along with them, and be part of the banter with them, although i have always been a bit of an adventurer at heart, always wanting to see whats round the next corner, thats the thing i love about sea fishing you can never really master it, there's always more to learn... :yes: :yes:
    Happy days..... :happy:

5. robq

robq Rockling

You are doing pretty well for a young un Dan :surprise: :surprise:
    plenty of young lads give the sport up when they get distracted by the opposite sex :surprise: :surprise:
    keep going as you are and you will be a top angler in a few years :yes: :yes:

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

I was a boat angler from the age of about 5 with my dad in Filey.Every single trip,no matter how glass flat it was,i used yo end up laid in the bottom of the boat throwing chunks.A guy called John Relton used to fish with my dad and he used to dip an old cloth money bag in the sea and keep wiping my head to keep me cool.Even so,i kept going and going and have to take tablets to this day,no matter how flat.When i was about 9,in the summer holidays i would sneak onto the Brigg and catch billet parrs by the dozen and put them in a deep rock pool behind us,great fun when you don't have a clue.For the next 4 or 5 years,it was mackeral bashing during the summer months and i can remember people filling bin liners with them(mid to late 80's) and you classed an average night around 60 mackeral :happy: .Around 88-89 i used to pinch my brother and dads "big" rods and sneak onto the brigg in search of a codling.The first match i won all by myself,was a Filey midweek festival match in 89 when i fished Gully Wash.I could only cast about 50 yards,but knew there was a big weedbed and caught my first real codling,thats a feeling money can't buy :happy: After that,i had the cod bug and many a school holiday was spent on the brigg,with many blanks,but it didn't matter back then,it was great just to be out there :happy:

7. robq

robq Rockling

Too true Iain :whatever: :whatever: she spent too many nights alone waiting for me whilst holding a filey brigg night vigil on a weekend and dumped me when I was 19 !! lovely girl she was Jane :cry: :cry:

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Being born In Whitby I have fished as long as my memory will take me back. First time was At South Gare on a family outing at about age 5. I remember catching a dogger on a crab line and from then on I was hooked. Every opportunity I asked my father to take me to kiddies corner to catch the Billets and Pennocks on float gear. Then As I got older (early teens) I would fish every weekend in the harbour often with Phil Mead (fishing club member) Looking back the fishing was good back then with the average harbour coalie being around 2 pounds and as many flatties as you could catch. We would often fish behind the Hot Dog Stall on pier road which at that time was called "Irish Annies".

Also its funny how times have changed as back then the school would always run a fishing comp in the week before the summer holidays. Health and safety just wouldnt allow it these days. Anyway we all lived to tell the tail and surely the school taking us fishing has to be better than what some of the kids get up to now. I never won any of the school matches. It was usually Phil Mead who cleaned up with about 20 flounder of the west pier wall - harbour side.

At around 12 I learned of catches of cod off the west pier. A family friend (Harry Worthy) would tell me Stories of cod you couldnt lift out the water being a regular occurance and about this time I remember Paul Kilpatrick was on his best form catching many double figure fish each season. I remmber seeing him catch 42 codlings on the west pier (Single rod).

My first session cod fishing was on Whitby west with my Dad with a winfield fishing rod and fixed spool reel. Needless to say we Blanked but it werent long before I was back and catching the fish. Around this time I got into a few bad habbits :whistle: :whistle: and spent a lot of time persuing the salmon and sea trout that could be found in the deep pools near the old gas works (Enough said).

We also spent a lot of time shooting nets and long lines on the local scars. Again how things have changed. But it kept us out of bother back then and I know kids now do far worse. YES I WAS A NETTER :surprise: :surprise:. we would also catch the bus to Staithes and join up with a few local reprabits :whistle: :whistle: in search of the cowbar sea trout.

I got into cod fishing seriously at around 15 through to 18 then I found drink and women and never resurfaced untill I was about 26. Local lad Ernie Heridge got me interested again and we would spend hours and hours on either the west pier or Whitby Scars ofetn with Paul's Brother Mike Kilpatrick. Needless to say I learnt the area at Saltwick inside out.

I started club fishing not long after and have enjoyed around 12-15 years in the Whitby club, something I enjoy more than anything. Even though Ive fished all those years I still know there is so much more to learn and figure out. Every year the jig saw falls together that bit more. This year Ive enjoyed learning a bit more about Goldsborough (managing to catch 27 pound from a whole Id fished a dozen times and never even had a bite). Knowledge wise a lot I stole from others :yes: but also learnt quite abit myself. Had to find my own way to a lot of the harder marks likes Goldsborough and Hawsker because noone would show us. My first trip to Goldsborough involved a rather hairy decent straight down the cliff at the bottom of the footpatch from where you park the car. I later learned of an easier way

Without fishing I dont know what Id do. Like most people I know, I live and breath fishing - Its what i do.

Looking back its quite sad for me to see how things have changed. We would often clep fish in the becks for a bit of fun, shoot nets and lines and this was something I really enjoyed. Now it seems that what was once so acceptable to most of us has become forbidden. I think this concerns me a lot at the present time.

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

Happy Days.... :yes: :yes:

10. robq

robq Rockling

You were lucky growing up in such a great a location Glenn :yes: I would have loved chilhood memories and roots like that :whatever: I have just read "anglers moon" by theo walmlsey and "yorkshire fisherfolk" too which was a good read about The old whitby fishing communities. I will bet despite the hardships that those were great years to be a kid ?? not that I am suggesting you are that old Glenn :canadian: :canadian:

11. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

reprobate
    noun [C] FORMAL OR HUMOROUS
    a person of bad character and habits:

if you don't retract this statement i'm gonna sue you bob :gum:

12. Baramundi Bob

Aye and you better not be Rob :laugh: :laugh:

Also a conversation I had with quint came to mind with this topic. Something a lot of Whitby People will remember.

The boat Dark Island a local netter used to carry rods on board and on the way in one day from netting they found a wreck that no-one had ever seen before. They found it with the boats electronics. Anyway they dropped the rods down and filled up with huge cod all over 10 pounds 3 at a time. I remember it well and it made national news. The boat went back every day and each day would return to port almost sinking with the weight of fish onboard.

The chap who owns Rods and Reels Tackle shop was onboard and he set the coalfish record from the wreck. If you go in his shop the pictures are on the wall.

Looking back those men were heroes back then. They filled the boat with cod. It made every epsisode of the news all week long. If they did it now they would be hung.

Again times and opinions have changed.

13. steerser

steerser Blenny

i'm shocked!
    gonna phone my brief.. :laugh: :laugh:

14. Baramundi Bob

Sorry Tim I never meant it. Anyway it was Andy Manship and Pong who were the worst culprets :wink:

15. smokey

smokey Rockling

I seem to have read somewhere before about Tim being a really bad influence :happy: Alledgedly :whistle:

16. steerser

steerser Blenny

skipper was alan boocock i think..jack knaggs, and dave mcauley were part of his crew...serious dollop of fish, that week.. :yes:

17. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

yes he's always picking on me smokey

18. steerser

steerser Blenny

munch is still nailing em regular...pong is in the gambia, running a charter boat..

19. Baramundi Bob

I bet they still get a good run in that beck :wink:

I think some of the forum lads bumped into pong on their travels :happy:

20. smokey

smokey Rockling

You had some cool names for you pals back then :happy: