1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Angling Experience - Good, Bad Or Indifferent ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, May 25, 2009.

?

So, what do you think of the Current Angling Situation On Our Coastline ??

1. Im happy with my lot. The angling on this coast is excellent ??

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. Its Ok but could be better.

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Its pretty average, Theres not many fish and no big fish around. I wish I was around 40 years ago wh

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. The fishing on the coast is diabolical. Im contemplating packing up all together.

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. My Experience is different to these options, Ill explain below.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Looking from an holistic perspective (Fish availability, scenery, tranquillity, social aspects, nature) how do you find the fishing on our coastline ??

As well as voting please say a few words on what you think and why. If you think things need improving please say what and how.

2. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

in my opinion the angling on our coast has got alot better over past 5 or so years, well it has for me anyway. i dont know if its because ive taken more care about my fishing or that there has been an increased number of fish but ive had one of the best winter seasons ever and my first yakking season has got off to a flying start.

as for the scenary, its amazing...our coastline has so much to offer. why do you think the tourists flock here every year

3. Baramundi Bob

I think the fishing has improved Dan but so has your skills. You've learnt a lot over the past few years. Last year was the first winter you used good bait. It was a poor season but yet you feel you did well. If we get a good season you will wonder what has struck.

4. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

i have not been fishing long but this coast line is beautiful, and the fishing is good but i am still learning so thats why i dont catch many :laugh: :laugh: . but there is many years still to come of wonderful days/nights fishing

5. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

I think i am in the same boat as Dan.
    Every year my fishing just seems to get better and better. This is just my opinion, dont know if the fishing ( stocks ect) is getting better or if it is my ability that is improving. The last 2 seasons i have really started looking into improving my methods and the gear that i use and the bait i buy/ collect.

All part of the learning curve i suppose

Tightlines

6. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

In my opinion the yorkshire coastline offers some of the most diverse fishing in the whole country and along with the stunning scenery it is possibly the top venue in the country.

7. Acko

Acko Rockling

Foo summed it up perfectly there.
    Poor winter Cod season this last winter But thats to be expected Now n then.

8. Baramundi Bob

Yes I think your right. We have cod and lots of them within kayaking distance. Also there are some good ones about, I had 3 doubles the first week in April. We have bass, and some good ones too. Quint and Dave have had some big ones and Im sure its just a matter of time before someone lands the double.. There is also many other species. The scenery is amazing as is the wildlife and once you get down flamborough area the scenery gets better still. Maybe there was more bigger fish in the 60's but Im still happy to be living now, I certainly aint complaining. The fishing is fine by me.

9. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

I think the angling on this coast is great. Within the 80 or so miles from Spurn to Whitby we've got so many different types of marks and species of fish to target. There's always somewhere capable of producing fish the entire year round if you're willing to travel around a bit, and there are definately fishing marks to suit everyone - from easy access Flatty bashing to hardcore cliff climbing Cod bashing :canadian:

As you said Glenn the scenery down Flamborough is amazing, and I think for folk like me who live plenty of miles inland, there's still something special about the likes of Staithes and RHB and getting to fish there is a bonus on visiting such nice places.

I'm looking forward to the summer and all the varied fishing I will get to enjoy :cheesy:

10. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

It would be very hard for me to sum up in a few words i've so many great memories from the early seventies but this being my first season back since the mid eighties as been a little disapointing but then again next season could be just the opposite,i think that's what keep's us hooked on this game,i'ts a case of alway's expect the unexpected, one of the many changes i've noticed is the vast improvement in tackle,and also the abilty to go out to fish via yaks,i would have loved to have had that privelage but that's progress,we all have to live with that,but i'll keep lobbing away for as long as possible, been away far to long.

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I've only been sea fishing for about 3 years so there is a lot of this coastline I still don't know about, however the area that I do know (mainly the Saltburn-Scarborough area) I think is stunning. Each and everytime I fish I'm thankful to be out in such nice scenery.
    The fishing can be very slow in our area at times but as far as I'm concerned I prefer to have slow days so you appreciate the good days even more. When fishing is good though it's very good :happy: The only unproductive time for me is mainly from Jan-Mar/April, the other 8-9 months produce some excellent fishing so I'm not complaining.
    Kayak fishing as let me see my fishing and the scenery from a different perspective, you appreciate our coastline even more when you are having a nice paddle looking through the clear water, over the kelp beds whilst watching the wildlife.
    As pointed out already there is a reason why millions visit our coastline each year :wink:

12. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Sorry glen forgot to mention Bremner n co,look's like some thing's have changed :cry:

13. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

I am assuming the 10 comments are from the 10 positive votes on the poll.
    Why arn't the other 8 voters explaining their opinions as requested.It would make interesting reading explaining the negatives of the areas fishery.

14. vtech

vtech Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

New at this ( this February) so i guess i just dont know any better, but i think it is great, i have had 7 cod up to 5 lbs off lincs and the holderness. and 5 bass now to 5 lbs. so allthough not ground breaking . to me at least i am not complaining at all.
    I have put the hours in for sure and the miles but it is a sport at the end of the day, i dont expect to make it pay or get results everytime.
    Keep picking up bits of advice some good some not so good, but i am at the stage i can judge a little now what i am told.
    Enjoying it a great deal in truth, i have a theory that if i make enough mistakes enough of the time the fish will get confused and mabe make a mistake themselves. :laugh: :laugh:

Wants !!!
    1. A Smothound just cant get them near me.
    2. a Bass on a lure!! This is top of my most wanted list. i wont settle untill i have done this. :yes:

15. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

vtech there are a few threads on bass fishing with lures

16. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

My reasons for voting that I find the fishing excellent is based on what we really have within easy reach.
    Starting down here at the Humber estury we can catch,mullet,bass,flounders,sole,eels,codling,whiting,Thornbacks,Smoothhound,Tope,Dogfish,Turbot. All those species and more I ve probably missed are within 30 mins for me.
    So we have some of the best beach fishing in the country ,both winter and summer, I suppose that is one reason why the European Beach Champs are held on the Holderness.
    Then from wide sandy beach and muddy estuary you run in to magnificent head of the Yorkshire Wolds and the rock fishing mecca of the southern nth east rock marks are found.We all know how good the summer sport can be from both shore and boat...plus scenary like knowhere else in the land.
    Further North and all the tiny little fishing villages are scattered along the coast with so many places to fish than you could wave a sh!tty stick at !! :yes:
    I mean just look !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So there you go for me it is sheer diversity of the fishing available without having to travel for hours.

:happy: :happy: :happy:

17. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

is that top picture is taken from raven hall road at ravenscar????? its a fantastic picture. and thats my dads view from work all day long. luck sod he is well in summer winter i dont want it in winter

18. vtech

vtech Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers DucKy i have noticed them and took in the input totaly. it is a little confidence and mabe weather warming up now i need. i think i have got things sorted but wont know for sure untill i get a result. :pray: :hungry:

19. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

I've been coming to whitby and the surrounding area for holidays since the 1980's, and for the last 9 years have come up in june/july for a whole weeks fishing on the charter boats. Great town, friendly skippers who i class as personal friends, always had a great time plus the bonus being that everything is a hell of a lot cheaper than my home patch in leigh-on-sea, essex. Roll on june 13th for this years adventure.

20. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

bad winter hope the summers better LOL