1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire Rivers Reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Decided to start my challenge for this year, hunting down a barbel on the upper river swale. This high up, im told, you got one barbel for every ten you get on the lower or middle reaches. If i get one i'll be over the moon!

Arrived today with the river at normal summer level, and decided to try a nice deep glide that came after to shallow rapids. A two rod approach, one with pellet and the other a big bunch of maggots with a swimfeeder.

[​IMG]

First chuck in and the maggot rod was soon bouncing, this lively trout put up a short but spirited fight.

[​IMG]

I recast regularly, topping up the swim and hoping to draw any chub or barbel in. The rod slammed down again, and it felt a good fish, but it was a grayling holding its dorsal against the flow (they do fight well size for size!). At 1lb 5oz, this beats my pb by 2oz...

[​IMG]

Nothing happening on the pellet, but I felt that there may come a time when a barbel swam through, so plugged on with that. The maggot rod was away again, a small trout...

[​IMG]

And that was it, no more bites for the next couple of hours until i called it a morning. Lovely place to be, i saw three kingfishers, and plenty of other wildlife. I'll keep trying the upper swale, one day i may just get a barbel...

• Like Like x 1
  2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

nice one Jim it is lovely up there, well done on the PB Grayling :yes:

3. bucko

bucko New Member

Nice looking pool for fly Jim...you could have found a nice spot for Winter grayling there.

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

Nice one Jim. If you were fishing above Richmond then you've proved those wrong who say theres no grayling above the falls.

5. jimlad

Cheers. Unfortunately it was below the falls, but there are grayling ( and big grayling) above the falls, I'm told. I'm going to be really giving this area a go this year, I'm out on Friday and Sunday so fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. jimlad

Yes it looks a brilliant stretch for the fly and trotting a float.

7. jimlad

Good morning on the swale trotting a stick float and single caster. All around the 4lb mark, great fun on light float gear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jimlad

Decided to give the swale a try today. When I got there I could see that the river was down to its bare bones and gravel bars were above the water line - the lowest I'd seen this particular stretch. I knew it wasn't going to be easy.

I decided to set up with the drennan acolyte plus, 5lb drennan supplex, and a size 18 kamasan animal (in the hope of an animal!). I waded to one of the gravel bars and trotted maggot and caster against a tree lined bank. I'd brought 2 pints of each. It didn take long to get the first bite - a minnow. And about 20 more followed before something a little better in the shape of a dace.

[​IMG]

A few more dace followed before I hooked a kamikaze trout, which went wild and destroyed everything before dislodging itself - time to move on. On the next swim, I could see the odd decent shape moving in the flow and thought to myself - chub. The problem was, they weren't interested in my crude tackle but took the freebies. I ended up stepping down my gear to 2lb drennan supplex and a size 20 kamasan b911F1 - this could be interesting I thought!

First trot through, a chub took the double maggot and the fight begun. I often find that fish respond like for like with the pressure being exerted - if that makes sense? Ie, if you pike the pressure on, they do the same. So I played it very softly, and for a couple of minutes it just sat in the flow. It then got bored and went for the far bank trees, making it underneath so I sunk the rod tip and hoped. It came back out, then dashed for my bank, near snagging me twice, before eventually netted. A good 4 I thought, and put it in the keepnet. It wasn't until I packed up and emptied the net, that I weighed it at 5lb 1oz, a new pb and my first 5. Happy!! It had a hollow belly, in prime winter condition I think 5 and a half at least.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few more dace followed, and I went home with a smile.

9. jimlad

I went out Last week on the swale, fishing into dark. The pellet approach got plenty of chub attention but would they he'll take the bait properly. Nothing from my target species - barbus maximus.

I manage one very small chub...

[​IMG]

A brilliant well done to my brother. Prior to Thursday his biggest chub was 1lb from the Leven, he's rarely fished over recent years. I told him he'd have a good chance of a 4 from the swale, which a good proportion of the chub seem to be. He went and match my pb with a 5lb 1oz fish!

[​IMG]

Also Had a nice evening session last night. This little beauty put up a right spirited fight, but was eventually landed.

[​IMG]

This was followed up with a battered and bruised chub....

[​IMG]

Off the mark with the barbel, time to target some more

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done Jim, nice to see you get your target species.

I reckon that first fish is a roach though, not a chub

11. jimlad

Cheers mate.

If it is I'd say a hybrid with chub. The anal fin is too chub like (roach is blood red and concave)

12. jimlad

I see what your saying actually, the other fins are very different to the chub

13. jimlad

Got to be happy with a 9lb 4oz January barbel ;)

[​IMG]

14. jimlad

Well managed one or two excellent chub before the season ended!

5lb on the dot....

[​IMG]

Fish of 4lb 1oz, 4lb 5oz, 4lb 8oz, 4lb 10oz and 5lb 2oz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A new PB of 6lb 9oz!

[​IMG]

15. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

fantastic chub that Jim, fish of a lifetime!

16. jimlad

Cheers Matty!

17. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

got my first Barbel of the season last night from the Swale, biggest 9lb 1oz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking fish them Matt, excellent fishing

19. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

cheers Bri

20. Silver Fox

Silver Fox New Member

Another Barbel from the Swale this year : 8lb 5oz