1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire Rivers Reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've kind of gone a bit daft - I'm a member of thornaby, yarm, Stockton and Leeds! Still works out cheaper than fishing a commercial every weekend though, and I've get miles and miles of relatively untouched water.

Ps, the grayling above we're from thornaby's water at catterick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Think you've just convinced me to deffo join Thornaby :cheesy:

3. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Better off joining Stockton Sam, they have better water and lots of it about 20mins from your house

4. Arkay

Arkay Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Plus there's a better class of member in SAC, isn't there Bri? :wink:

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

I'm in Stockton, Yarm and Bradford No1, and as Jim says its great to fish almost unfished water, moving out of Yarms stretch onto Stockton, and back again etc, as they border each others water. Adopting a roving approach.

Stockton and Bradford both have water on the Ure at Middleton Sam, although i've yet to fish there.

6. jimlad

I've been meaning to fish the ure at middleham recently, may yet get there before the season is out.

A couple of fish from this morning on the swale...very cold but really happy to get something, even if they were small.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I'd be very happy with those on a cold day like that, I was at a Pheasant shoot next to the Swale yesterday (Baldersby) at the river looked good for a spot of fishing.

8. jimlad

Aye the Swale always looks nice on a snowy day

9. jimlad

A few shots from this mornings fishing on the swale...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. jimlad

Well im still on my quest for a first 5lb chub....close but no cigar at 4lb 13oz from a flooded river swale....

The fishing is certainly challenging at the moment, river is changing rapidly from on day to the next!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

That's a lovely Chub mate, nice one. If you don't mind me asking do you prefer to sitting it out in one swim or keep on the move? I generally prefer to move around though when I fished the other weekend I was a lazy bugger and fished the one swim :embarrass:

12. jimlad

Constantly on the move Sam, I was out yesterday and walked about 3 miles of river in the morning. After I catch, I don't bother trying again in the same swim.

I change in summer though. Firstly because its too hot, and secondly because I like to draw the fish in with particles. But in winter, I use big solitary baits.

13. jimlad

First time ive done this so it's pretty amateurish (and ive learned a few things about wind noise etc!!) but i did a vid with the above chub in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95fNO515ODs

14. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cheers for that bud and enjoyed the video, lovely looking swim :yes: Let's see if you can break the 5lb mark before the close season, pressure is on :cheesy:

15. bucko

bucko New Member

Great stuff as always Jim- you certainly put the effort in!

16. jimlad

Still not had a 5 pound chub or a Swale 20 though, more effort required me thinks!!

17. jimlad

I was on the road, and knew i'd be passing one or two rivers en route, so packed my gear just in case!

Anyway, decided what the hell, i'll drop onto a peg that i know, spend 20 mins there and see if i can get one out. And i knew that if i catch a pike, the bite usually comes pretty quickly. So after dropping my foat fished smelt next downstream of some snags, i sat back and relaxed....for 90 seconds or so until the float popped up, laid flat then disappeared. Whack, i was in! 15lb 3oz ;D

[​IMG]

I was back in my car 20 mins after getting out, and continued on my way....

18. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

See now that is just showing off!! I don't think I've ever seen a better piece of opportunistic fishing! Nice one bud, lovely fish :yes:

19. jimlad

:D

20. jimlad

I left home without a destination in mind, but finally decided on a stretch of the swale. I knew it was low and clear, but i have my barbel glasses on, even though the chances were slim. I decided to go for the two rod approach, both cast to spots under or adjacent snags where i thought they would be hiding. One rod had hair rigged sweetcorn, with a bed of hemp and the other used a pellet approach.

[​IMG]

Within ten minutes the seetcorn rod flew over and i was into a fish, my first of the season, and a pleasing 4lb 12oz chub. In winter condition it would have probably been my first 5lber but I cant be dissapointed with that.

[​IMG]

I spent a good few hours more until 4pm, changing tactics, baits and trying to stalk a couple of chub that i found but with no success.

Happy with that though, back out at the weekend. Probably higher up on the upper swale...