1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire Rivers Reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Mar 14, 2012.

1. fabwesty

fabwesty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Its great to read these yorkshire river reports,with som fab. pics.I had some nice trout at knaresboro at weekend ,and a couple of decent chub+ a few grayling at Tadcaster.We should see some good sport now after flood waters have almost gone.I will be out on the banks again this week-try get some pics next time.-keep those reports coming in!

2. bucko

bucko New Member

I read that 6000 rainbows had 'escaped' into the Ure- has anyone encountered them?

3. coasty

coasty New Member

Yes.... went yesterday and landed one and was connected to another before the hook was straightened. The one I landed was 20inches and the other looked to be about 4 lbs or so....

Lets hope they get washed downstream soon...

Andy

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

might have to have a trip to the ure for a bit of free rainbow action!

5. bucko

bucko New Member

Is there any day ticket water on Ure thats worth fishing?
    I'm considering my options for this Sunday.

6. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've been out a few times this season in the hunt for barbel, trying to get out when there's been some extra water in. This morning I woke up not knowing quite where to go, but with a bit of water in the Swale I knew I should give it a try.

Set up was my Wychwood Rogue Barbel 1.75lb (though yet to get a bend from a barbel on it!) and Korum KXi 50 reel, a suprisingly nice reel for the price. A glugged 14mm halibut was hair rigged to 10lb drennan sink link, with a 5oz running ledger and pva bag of 6mm pellets completing the set up. This was cast as close as I dared to the far bank where a few snags and overhanging bushes were present. The water was up but looked a bit like tea, which apparently is a bad sign (not talking from experience here!).

After an hour or so the rod plunged down and a fit-fighting barbel was hooked. I'd already lost 2 this year and wasn't planning on having the same happen again, so I put plenty of pressure on, and the rod showed it's tue colours (a lovely bit of kit!). After the initial few surges I played it under my feet for a minute or two before landing it, a lovely barbel of 6lb 1oz. Well happy!

[​IMG]

After that, I had a couple of big knocks but no more runs - probably chub

7. coasty

coasty New Member

Had a trip to the Ure on Sunday. Wife was working and seemed the only logical course of action. The river was low and clear and looked hard but ended up having a cracking day I fished dry fly using a french leader the presentation and delicacy gave me a real edge...Caught plenty of Brownies and a few grayling the best of the bunch are here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was a day when the fishing was hard but rewarding.....

Full report on my blog

Andy

8. bucko

bucko New Member

Nice fish Andy- well done.

9. jimlad

A couple of recent swale trips...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Nice one Jim. I've not been on the river since October, been too busy sea fishing.

Sent from my M532 using Tapatalk 2

11. jimlad

A few more...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. bucko

bucko New Member

Lovely fish as always Jim- you must have been on standby every time the rivers have dropped down from spates!

13. jimlad

It's definitely up and down a lot! Certainly have to be opportunistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

All lovely fish there Jim, that Pike is a beauty plus Grayling are always nice to catch. Those Grayling look a canny size, what did they weigh?

15. jimlad

The biggest grayling was 1lb 3oz, all caught on a closed face and 1.5lb bottom. Brilliant fishing, really enjoyed it.

The pike was 19lb 4oz, was really hoping it was a 20 as I'd love a Swale 20, just not quite! Still, leaves me with something to dream about!

16. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Well you can't be having to many 20's Jim, that would be just showing off then :cheesy: Cracking results there bud.

I'm thinking of joining a club so I can do a bit of Swale fishing, haven't fished the Swale since the 90's!

17. jimlad

Leeds or Bradford are the clubs you want for the Swale. I've just renewed my Leeds book online, 50 quid by PayPal. For that you get many many miles of the Swale, ure, wharfe, nidd, Ouse and aire. Have a look at www.leedsdasa.co.uk

The Swale stretches include topcliffe, asenby, helperby, skipton, myton.

18. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Do they get quite busy those stetches? I do like the quiet life, ideally no one else fishing within 5 miles :embarrass:

19. jimlad

It depends mate. If you go for a warm summers evening at topcliffe you will be lucky to get a peg. But the other stretches are under fished in my opinion, I don't often see others. If you want quiet stretches of the Swale, Stockton ac have Morton bridge and great Langton. I fish them both, and rarely see anyone at Morton, and have never bumped into another person at great Langton. Lovely stretches of water on their day, and of course Stockton has some excellent stretches of the tees.

20. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I was tempted to join Stockton though may join Thornaby again as I miss fishing the Ure at Kilgram, may push the boat out and join a few clubs. Problem is kayak fishing takes over a bit in the warmer months so may not get my moneis worth but it would be nice to fish the rivers again, specially if there are Pike like that to be had :yes: