1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire Rivers Reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Mar 14, 2012.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

Please put your angling reports from any of the Yorkshire rivers in here.

2. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A good idea.....

I'll begin with an ending for me.

today was the last day coarse fishing the rivers for a while. I got invited to fish the Great Langton stretch of the Swale with the father in law, not my first choice (i was after somewhere more barbelly with a bit more water in!), but i thought it might be good fun.

It was a slow start, and the wind was cold, which didnt help things, but once the sun got out the fish started feeding and after a few minnows i caught a brownie at 1lb 7oz on maggot.

[​IMG]

Next fish caught was a 4lb 2oz Chub on worm.

[​IMG]

This was followed up by a grayling of 8oz or so before the swim went dead. We decided to move about a bit, try a few different spots which all looked nice, some streamier bits which would regurlarly go into deeper holes..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The old fella got a decent chub on maggot, didn't weigh it (he's the sort of non-competitive person who doesn't like to put a figure on a fish!)...

[​IMG]

And thats it for me for this coarse fishing year on the rivers. I hope to get out as early as this weekend, perhaps to the same place, but using just worm or fly. After spending so much time on the rivers this year, i cant bring myself to fish a pond or lake at the moment - i feel the need to be on a wild, untame environment like river or sea.

3. bucko

bucko New Member

Well done Jim- you've popped this threads cherry very nicely there with some nice fish and great photos too.

4. Dav

Dav Rockling

Great stuff mate.

5. jimlad

Off to upper Swale at Grinton in the morning, box of flies and a rod. Probably wont catch, but it's a lovely place to spend a morning, and i'm sure i can get some nice photos

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Good luck jim .

7. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Crackin photos and great session well done

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

good luck jim its a lovely spot, you'll probably not see another soul up there thats what I love about the place.the pool lust below scaba wath bridge is nice. I caught my first ever trout on fly from there 30 odd years ago :happy:

9. jimlad

Well, as expected i didnt catch anything! I'm very much a novice fly fisherman, but i'm really enjoying it and thats the main thing. I've started tying my own flies, my casting is 'self taught' but getting there, and i'm enjoying wandering far and wide. Today i walked five miles in a splendid area...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

The Swale is really clear and the fish have a habit of hiding somehow, and they can see you coming before you get the chance to cover them. A real test for any fly angler.

11. jimlad

Tell me about it! I saw a couple of fish just steaming away from me, despite me crawling on hands and knees!

12. Davo

Davo Rockling

:laugh: I've been there, many times.

13. bucko

bucko New Member

Shame about the lack of fish James- but what a lovely place to be on a Spring morning.

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Went up the ure this afternoon for a couple of hours.

[​IMG]

Caught a few fish. Starting with 3 of these, which I think were salmon Parr but I will let you experts decide.

[​IMG]

Then got a small grayling..

[​IMG]

All fish fell to a partridge and orange

15. bucko

bucko New Member

Nice one Matty- good little report there.
    I wouldn't like to comment on the 'salmon parr' as the ones I have encountered tend to have 'barring' along their body and they look very bright.
    They could be smolts though.

16. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

They all had the thumb prints Ian they just don't show on the photo. Also a few red dots along the lateral line

17. Davo

Davo Rockling

Well done Matty. Its a lovely stretch that part of the Ure.

18. bucko

bucko New Member

Sounds like they were parr then.
    Some good work is being done on Ure to aid salmon recovery.
    There's a cracking job going at Ure Salmon Trust for anyone with at least 3 years fishery management experience on a salmon river.
    £35K plus allowances.
    Wouldn't that be a nice way to earn a crust!

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Cracking roprt matty and jimlad , For some reason there is a square box directly over the yorkshire river reports section saying internet webpage cannot be found , a box of around 3"square...its been there ages :confused:.
    .Anyway cracking reports and nice fish , i had a small one up at broiken scar which was starting to loose its bands looked very similar . nie one ...

20. Teesdale

Teesdale Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Had my first session of the season yesterday on the Swale, water was up a few inches and carrying a little colour. Only managed one out of season Grayling of about a pound and a half, couldn't locate any of those big Brownies.

It was nice to see the Kite's, Kingfisher's and a fox, even found a dead Eel of about 2 foot long, there were lot's of sign's of otter's, there were plenty of flies comming of the water but never saw no fish rising, probably due to the water being very cold.

All in all a lovely day to be out.