1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire pebble or similar open fishing boat

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Mar 2, 2010.

1. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I don't know how many of the folk who've replied have boats or even less who among them have a pebble but I have one and do all my sea fishing in one

They're one hellova versatile little fishing boat and very easily launched single handed off the beach if needed to, mine is launched from the beach and I use my car just unhiching at the waters edge and pushing in and rehitching and driving the trailer away, recovery is just as easy but winch it on and tow the whole lot out with the same car but with a very long length of rope until clear of the breakers and till I'm sat on hard sand

My lad was 12 when we started going out together and a slightly built 12 year old and me launched and recovered the boat with ease and thats on a road trailor not a set of beach wheels, we can have the boat on the trailor in under a couple of minutes and certainly be driving up the beach in under three so its a doddle when you're organised to do it

Weather dependent we go out to about 7 mile in it without any worries or we can be chucking lures or plastics over rocks ina couple of feet of water as it draws about 6 in's to float so you can get in quite tight if you want to

I have a 9.9 2 stroke Tohatsu on and its got much more power to weight than a similar sized 4 stroke enginge but you have to spend a little more on fuel but it still knocks along at a decent pace if you open it up a bit, obviosly as a displacement hull its got a maximum hull speed no matter how much gun you give it so its better to put a bit of weight in the bows if you do

Mine is fully open as I removed the splash deck in the bow and it really opens up the boat for fishing and three of us can comfortably fish lures and cast without watching out where the others are or what they're doing, if bait fishing you can get four in but I prefer three and plenty of room so we all fish out of the same side and no tangles

Its a very comfortable ride at sea as you would expect with the coble lines but it comes into its own when drifting as the deepish forefoot and draughts coupled with the flattish tunnel shape grip the water very well meaning you don't rock and roll or pitch all the time as most dory's do

If you want to pm me your e mail address I'll send you some photos and you'll see what its like in the water

Theres a few for sale locally to me (Redcar) at a very decent price and if you want I'll get some info on them if you want it, should be a lot less than the sum you want to spend as well

As I say a very versatile little boat and I have no need to swap it for anything bigger even though I've had the opportunity to do so and if you get one you won't be dissapointed, theres quite a few round here who use them for potting and they seem to manage that enough but I don't do any of that so can't comment

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Brain that was a superb bit of info....answered a good number of the questions I had in mind....thankyou very much.

Pm sent with e-mail address, I would be really grateful if you could ask about and also a few pics of your boat would be great.

Cheers Dave.

3. newdave

newdave Guest

so i exspect we will see an almost new Dorado on the market soon then Dave, Shame but hope you get what you want. I can see how it would fit well with our new home. :yes:

4. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Totally agree with Brian Thay are a cracking boat for what you are after and easy to handle.
    Loads of the lads in the boat club have had them and I've launch them plenty of times (EASY).

I started out with a 17 ft clinker built boat with a proper marine twin cylinder petter engine water cooled fully open boat and loved it mackie bashing of the end of the gare good years.

Like Brian say's there are allot round here and nowhere near the price you are talking some of the lads I no have picked them up for hundreds of pounds not thousands.
    And thay were very tidy boats with good outboards. South Gare boat club has loads of these type of boats in there compound.

Its normally the outboard motors that cost the money and never think because you have seen one started on dry land that it will be ok in the water as this isn't allways the case.
    If you need any more info just ask Dave.

Shame you weren't asking this a fortnight ago I will keep a look out for you ebays ok but there is allot of sh'te on there don't buy without vueing and take your time and don't be rushed into buying something your not sure about.

Good luck Chris

5. jody

jody New Member

My pebble cost £400 and I spent another £100 on paints and decking. The 5 year old 10hp mariner was £450 and the trailer was £350.

It all took about a year to do, but I've not had to spend much more on it other than servicing the outboard ever year. Like a lot of the lads have said a combination of boats and outboards, and e-bay should find you something

6. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi dave i sent you a link to a triton but didnt realise you wanted a light launch,there is a shelty on ebay at the moment that didnt meet the £2500 reserve,its back on at £2200 and still hasnt got a bid,these are very good boats its at thorgumbald brid,a very cheap boat and good for potting,a bit lighter than the triton, 270539756626 item number, it depends if you just want to handball it down the beach or you have a tracktor,anything over 15 ft will be hard to hand launch,but if youy are wanting to launch by hand the ideal boat for you would be the orkney coastliner,these are 14ft long,the longliner are 16ft and the strikeliner superseeded the longliner,as alain said earlier,engine wise the distance that you would be travelling i dont think that it would warrent a four stroke so would go for a decent 10-15 hp long shaft,they are not expensive and can be easily maintained at home,i have a warrior 150 that i will be upgrading this year to a 165 so if you wanted to have a day out with me at brid you could at least see how a 15ft boat could be handled weight wise,and bring your camera,(big cod ect!!!) regards...Gary

7. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

not much can go wrong with these hulls dave ,the thing to look for as on any boat are have they been antifould,if not brilliant as you can see underside of the hull and antifoul can cover up previous repairs,try to buy one that has its original gelcoat as painted hulls never fetch as much at resale,the keels on these boats are very strong and somtimes have stainless keelbands fitted,this is a bonus as the boat can be beached easily without fear of damaging the keel,the boat you are wanting falls into the hornsea pebble 14-16ft catagory of which these are,if you get stuck or need a hand ill do my best to help

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Thanks Gary .

9. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

I would keep the total weight (inc trailer) under 750kg if I were you. That way you can use an unbraked trailer. Salt water and cables/springs/brake shoes don't like each other and require maintenance. Have you thought about a sports dory like mine?

I am selling her soon if you are interested. A top spec boat within your budget.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alan

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Great looking boat Wildcard , I bet it flys
    My mate had a dory with a 65 on and we used to get to yarm from stockton in 5 minutes.....The coarse anglers used to hate us tho ...... :cheesy: :cheesy:

11. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Arr it was you who use to bounce all the boat's at Thornaby Boat club :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

12. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

On a nice day even the swiftcat can't catch it.

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

What price will she be going up for mate ?