1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire pebble or similar open fishing boat

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Does anyone have any contacts or info on the above....I am seriously considering a 14-16 ft open fishing boat as an alternative to the kayak but would like a little bit of help on the pro's con's , dealers,pitfalls etc........the kayak has been great fun ut the weather etc has limited my time out and would like something that would offer potting ability and a more comfortable fishing platform than the kayak, but still easy launching.

2. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Hey up Dave ,you seem to be on the boat fishing thing , before you know it youter boat will be running a charter boat :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hope you find what your looking for ,maybee alain or chris can help you out on the boat thing , good luck Dave ,Harry

3. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Alright Jellyworm What are you after boat with small cabin at front or totally open.
    Will you be buying new or second hand what price range are you thinking of.
    let me no as there are quit a few spring to mind. I assume you want one on a trailer.

Here,s a few names that could be considered.

Orkney / Pebble / Warrior / Wilson Flyer / Shetlands / Sea Hog / Dellquay Dory's.
    There will be loads all depend on what you want.

4. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Jelly worm what you need is a seahog not to expensive anywere from £1500 to £6000 depending how old it is and engine fitted don't worry about 2 strokes a nice mariner 40 hp is about right my seajeep as a 40hp on and goes very well but same as out you always want bigger and better i wouldn't bother with a displacement hull to slow what you need is a planing hull have a look on ebay then www boatsandoutboards.co.uk but there are loads of boats that meet the same criteria have a good look in your local boat compound see what boats the local use and recommend but like i said if you want to fish wrecks a few miles out and what to get back in fast if weather turns snotty then a planing hull is what you need 4 strokes are better on fuel but are costly for servicing and repairs would think the only job you could do at home is change oil & filter and spark plugs and if it shits itself then it going to cost a shed full of money check with the dealers on servicing prices £35 £50 per hour plus VAT i can do all the work on my mariner two stroke at home you could keep a yak and tow it behind just to get into places where a boat can't get but at the end of the day a boat is like a BIG black hole that you just keep throwing money in never to be seen again starts off like a good idea i fancy a boat now i need a 4x4 now i need a roller coaster trailer now i need a winch now i need a new G P S /Plotter its never ending BUT bloody great fun ho and dont forget a partnership can be sinking ship tightlines captain jellyworm sounds good Ha Ha

5. jody

jody New Member

I have a yorkshire pebble I think it 17ft open top I'm presuming it was designed for an inboard looking at the shape of the hull and to stop the bow raising too much I have ballast under the running boards near the front. It's a real plodder with a 10hp 4 stroke mariner on the back. It's and I wouldn't really want to put a bigger motor on there. It's mainly used for course fishing in the trent and we really have to run with the tides if we want to cover any distance. It is very stable though and spacious for 2 fishing we've even had 3 fishing in it. I think Alains got the right idea

6. ziggy

ziggy luv it fishing

i maybe a bit biased but get a warrior bit more money but worth it. a pebble would be fine for plodding about but you would soon get sick of that and want to be shooting of to a few wrecks :wink:

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Thanks for the replies lads, but an open fishing boat such as the pebble or Dory is what Im looking for, I have no interest in heading a long way off, I want the boat for more or less the same areas that I ve been using the kayak. I also want a nice easy light launch.
    Superb as the faster boats look it is a little open top plodder that I can head out into the bay (Brid) to shoot my pots and do a spot of inshore fishing.

Does anybody know of any such open top baots going for a reasonable price ?

8. IanB

IanB Blenny

Dave look on FAFB - findafishingboat.com (not sure if its .com or .co.uk) there is 127 pleasure boats on there at all sorts of prices, from a few hundred quid to several thousand quid, very interesting and will give you an idea, you can buy any boat on there from a tender to a trawler.
    Best of luck!

9. cod hunter

cod hunter Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi mate the is a pebble in brid harbour for sale edna may me and my mate went for it but couldnt get a birth it was going for £1500 if ya go into independent shell fish at the end of chicken run they should give you the phone number lad called danny quin is selling it

10. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Sound like a Pebble is what you need.
    Very easy to get on and of a trailer quit robust as well.

Let me no soon what type of money you want to spend as I no one of the lads in my boat club has one. And he never keeps his boats long if you can let me no before tonight as it are boat club meeting tonight.

If he's there I will get some info of him he wont have paid megger bucks for it as it,s not in his nature. I will try and get some pics as well and post them on here for ye.

Pm me if you want Chris

11. newdave

newdave Guest

well correct me if you think i am wrong dave, but having whatched your fishing for the last 3 years, you just wont be happy with a small boat for long. might as well get the the harley straight away & skip the honda 50 :wink:

personally I dont think you will get that many more launches with a small open boat than the Kayak. After all the Filey lads wimped out in theres when myself & Ken were round the Brigg end :laugh:

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

It's not about more launches Dave time is always against me anyway, work seems to be always on when the weather is good for a launch....... but my shore fishing is my main passion and it will be what with club matches opens,summer thornback fishing and a very busy tournament casting diary I m not looking for more launches just something more versatile that I can go out in nice conditions with Kim and the dog ....use it for fishing from, for dropping my pots and being able to do all that without the hassle of all the kayak gear.

I m not slating the kayak and I will be keeping the Prowler 13 for those days when I fancy a bit of paddling but a small boat for plodding around the same areas I go in the kayak is what I m after. I certainly don't have the funds or the inclination to run a fast baot capable of offshore work....just not for me as given the choice as last year and the year before showed.....I choose shore over afloat anyway.

I do know what you mean though if I was thinking of sampling a boat then go for the best I could afford straight away rather than buy sell at a loss to upgrade......ut I really am just looking for a sea-worthy small open fishing boat just for close in work but that is of sound construction and is cheap to maintain and run.

13. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

What ever boat you get you will want something, bigger, faster, better
    But isn't that half the fun- wanting more?
    What ever fishing any body does there is always the next stage of improvement
    Regards John

14. ziggy

ziggy luv it fishing

15. ziggy

ziggy luv it fishing

come for a run of with us dave when weather picks up you might change your mind :wink: :wink:

16. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

How much...well as little as possible..budget realistically of max £3-£4 k for a package of baot and engine....but much less for just the boat if a good one comes along without an engine

17. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello, I know very little about this topic but a friend of mine had a RIB and I was suprised at how good it was, I thought it would be ideal for dropping a few pots and for a couple to fish from.
    What do you lads think, are they ok? or am I talking shite?

Regards Ian

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Have a word with Acko and see if hes selling Black Bess. A finer vessel you will never see.

19. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi dave,you wont go far wrong with an orkney strikeliner or the older longliner without the cuddy,sounds just what you have described,ideal for potting and only need a motor up to 20hp,check out boats and outboards,there are usually a few on there matey....regards Gary

20. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Cheers.....with those boats what things show that need to be avoided ie. what goes wrong,what signs of a bad one do I look out for ?