1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire Esk

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by lochbois, Jun 30, 2009.

1. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Is nobody fishing the Yorkshire Esk these days or is it becomeing a Secret River like the Wear . I was wondering if the Tees fish looking for another river because they cant enter the Tees freshwater had found the Esk . I would like to know if the Tees fish look for another river to lay there eggs or do they return to sea and abbort the eggs . If so what another waste of fish live in the N-East fisheries .PB

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

I dont think for one minute the Wear is a secret river peter. Its the most open river i've ever known, especially as its the best seatrout river in the country. The associations on the Esk are a disgrace compared to the Wear, Try and join a club on good Esk water, and you havnt much chance. Now ring the Wear clubs, and they'll you let you in with open arms. And show you the best pools.

3. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Davo ,Didnt you read last months t-salmon they called the Wear the Secret river. I had been told that the Esk was getting a good run of sea-trout these days. I thought more would have been said if it was right .They reported that the Tyne was getting a better run of sea-trout .I dont suppose the fish know they are risking their lives comeing back to their home river Tees to have their babies. PB

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

I did mate and i thought the "secret bit" was absolutly laughable, regarding the outside angler, at first. Like i say anyone can join BAAC and have 20 odd miles of fishing and join say Ferryhill for another few miles, all in total for about £200. Still with the opportunity of joining other clubs with small joining fee's. What the article meant for me was, the anglers wanting to keep the river secret, and didnt want T&S doing the review, in case of money men wanting to buy these clubs out etc. Thats understandable. The Tees beat is the same. The lads will go out of their way to put people onto fish, but dont report even to the club what is caught, because the land owners are upping the rent and worry there are ouside money men wanting to buy beats. To put it in a nut shell, what the Wear and Tees lads are saying is, "lets just remain unfashionable rivers" have great fishing, and keep the spotlight on rivers such as the Tyne.

5. lochbois

lochbois Guest

The Wear was quite this morning ,i think i will have to try a bit of reservoir fishing im forgetting how to catch a fish. I cant even get a brownie to grab me .Never mind PB

6. bucko

bucko New Member

I don't think its a matter of secrecy Peter- simply there's that little water publicly available that people aren't exactly going to shout from the rooftops when it comes to their favourite spot.

For instance- if I go out and do well I'll happily put a picture up and state which river its from but I'm not going to go into detail like "It was from Nellies Pool at the bottom of Dug Brown Farm Fields- 1ft from the far bank, down and across at approx 4:26am".

We have seen posts in the past where people expect to get some advice and catch straight away- good luck to them but the only advice I would give is "GET OUT ON THE RIVER AND LOOK AND LEARN".

7. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I wanted to know if their is any room on the Esk. And is the Esk getting full of these tagged fish gone missing on Teeside .Ive been trying to drum up new members in our club since i came on the internet ,so that we get full membership<BAADC>. I keep saying im going to try glazedale one day the bloody car only knows the way to the Wear.

8. bucko

bucko New Member

Egton Estates do day permits, as do Danby Angling- there are also day permits for the stretch at Ruswarp. As for clubs, syndicates and associations- if you've plenty of cash (and I mean the sort of amount you could join BAADC, Ferryhill, Chester Le Street and Willington clubs for all at once and then some more), the right contacts and in some cases the right postcode you'll get in.
    As for Tees fish turning up in Esk- I think its generally its own broodstock as its had hatchery help for some years.
    Those tagged fish will have ended up in a seals belly, dead in the lower reaches or in a poachers freezer.

9. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I was at school the last time i fished the Esk and all the salmon had UDN . I usually have a run up the Esk just after the season has finished . Looks like were going to get some extra water . I live in Stockton we have been missing it lately. Durham had showers this morning. Danby waters supposed to be the place at the backend ive been told. The same tactics used below the Barrage will get a few fish they say. Stalk your fish from the way i have seen it carried out .PB

10. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Been down at Ruswarp tonight the river was still very high but is dropping, I seen a few fish coming over the wear top and so had a throw about with an orange rapala for an hour, had a look up at sleights but very high and fast up there, reckon glaisdale could be a good bet tomorrow

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Did you manage to hook any Bulltrout or is the water too high yet.

12. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

No never hooked any but they were running over the dam wall. went down slieghts this morning but the water is still fairly high and very coloured never seen a scale this morning there was a good few ran through yesterday and last night might have alook up glaisdale later, hopefully it will be settling down abit up there.