1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire Esk Grayling

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by lochbois, Nov 2, 2010.

1. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Now that the migratory fish season is over on the Esk does anybody fish for the grayling on the river?.

2. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Heard of a few get caught but dont know how many are in there

3. bucko

bucko New Member

It doesn't have the best of grayling stocks , especially compared to the other Yorkshire grayling rivers.
    I've had one in many years of fishing the river.
    As for Winter fishing- as far as I am aware ALL fishing on Esk ends on October 31st.

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

True Ian. The Esk is poor for grayling, but a mate of mine had quite a few out whilst fishing at Egton during the winter about 15 years back. Something most anglers never do :wink:

5. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Thanks for the replies lads.
    I will leave the river for the migratory fish to spawn .
    Far too much water anyway. :wink:pB

6. pikecatcher

pikecatcher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I am pretty sure that the Esk closes 31 Oct till 25 March.

In 36 years fishing the Esk I have caught 3 Grayling when fishing for Trout - all on one of the free stretches. Best was about 2lb - a very big fish for the Esk.

7. bucko

bucko New Member

I was thinking about this and while grayling are a lovely fish and indicator of clean water- I'm actually glad Esk has no meaningful stock so to speak.
    The migratories will spawn anywhere from the lower river to the tiny headwaters so in my opinion its a good thing that people aren't wading and disturbing the redds during Winter.