1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire Derwent and River Whiske

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by coasty, Jun 18, 2008.

1. coasty

coasty New Member

Been thinking lately of having a crack at the Derwent upstream of Malton there are lots of stretches available on day ticket that I fished extensively years ago. Farm stretches etc. There used to be some cracking chub and grayling , dace and the like wondered if anyone fished this area even as far upstream as Ganton,,
    Guess this would just be a trip down memory lane and I am sure I will end up dissapointed but its an itch I would like to scratch...
    Also does anyone fish the Whiske near Thirsk I used to fish the stretch from the hunting bridge down to the Swale,,, But not seen that bit for 40 years....

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

You may not be disappointed Coasty, it usually comes down to who's been in control of the waters you used to fish over the years, just give it a go and see.

I used to fish a lake called Poole Hospital Lake, for the Tench, Rudd, Perch etc., but that was until a major angling club from the area took over it. Six months later it was a shadow of its former self, and its heart breaking to see the place at this moment in time. I have to say though,this instance, is one of of great extreme, and even greater incompetence. I was actually a member of the club, but resigned my membership when i witnessed what they had done to the lake. That was back in 1976.

Anyway, good luck and hope you have a good day, going back to your old haunt.

3. coasty

coasty New Member

Already contemplating a trip to one old haunt this coming weekend ,,,,,,

4. sparky1251

sparky1251 New Member

remember poole hospital meself dave a gd water gone to waste,was a shortage ov large fish,apart from the odd decent carp but the tench and crucians made up for them in numbers,and the rudd were second to none.
    was wondering coasty if u had tried the river severn around salton thats a crackin stretch for brownies,and the river dove around sinnington and keldholm both of which have free stretches through the villages,again crackin small rivers for browns and grayling.another gd little beck has to be fangdale beck i used to fish it a lot years ago,think,well almost sure u can still purchase your tickets for miles of water from the sun inn pub on the the chop gate to helmsley road. :wink:

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

Yeah, i loved Poole sparky. The Tench were predominantly greater in numbers as the largest fish in there, and i loved fishing for them. You are spot on about the Rudd-cracking fish. Can you remember "The Barrell Swim"?

I once mentione to a bloke that it looked a great carp water, and he told me that in the 60's and before, it was, but kids used to sit in trees shooting them with air rifles.

When it got nearly dark, you could here the Carp crashing about in the reeds far out, but they never came close in. I only seen one Carp in there, and it was a Common Carp, and it would have made these Commercials look ridiculous.

6. sparky1251

sparky1251 New Member

yeah bud i can remember the barrell swim and the sunken boat swim.my biggest carp out of there was an 8lb common on freelined dog buiscuit and a very good mate ov mine u might even know the name,john bilton used to be a crackin match angler many moons ago had a fish just over 14lb,it was only recentely i walked around pool thinkin omg what a waste,but the place still has potential with a little money and the work parties we used have on there on a sunday afternoon with our condom suits rakes and snorkels lol,raking the swims out,shame really looking back,as was the old dockers pond was a member of that when norman wickman was secretary and that was a cracking venue.