1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire Coast - Where And When To Fish, big tides, slack tides

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by big cliff, Apr 5, 2008.

1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Just to follow up on the topic of a bit more openess as regards fishing marks within the ranks can i propose the following:

Marks to fish on a big tide, flood, ebb and slack tides. Flood, ebb heavy seas, medium, slight or any other perm you would like to talk of , remember we all end up with a thicker book.

Slack tide, heavy sea about 1.5 hrs before lw onto the flood remembering the water getting round behind you like the old harbour at Saltwick Bay, which is slightly to the left of where the track down meets the beach.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ok Al Ill start you with Saltwick Bay seen as though you mentioned it.

I've had fish on Neep's and Spring's, high and low water, flood and ebb. You can catch on big lows, neep lows, spring highs and neep highs and anywhere in between, Ive also had many many blanks just like all the other marks Ive fished. Its fishable in most conditions except those big swells when you would normally head for the more sheltered marks like Port. Killer even showed me 1 shot where you can get fish on a 0.3 ebb :surprise:. Beware the beach at high tide with a swell on as every 10 mins a wave will wash right to the back, many times people have lost all their gear into the drink. Saltwick is a mark where you can get fish at any stage of tide, its easy access and ideal for youngsters and new comers. Cod fishing in winter with flounders and occasional bass in summer, I think the flounders prefer the flood tide. All the usual baits will do the trick. Anyone putting in a lot of time here,would, in time build up a good understanding of the mark. You will then come to know just when to stay and when to leave for elsewhere.

3. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Scarborough North Beach. its a beach ive fished alot this year over low water. Needs nice northerly, I fish just up from Rawlings, bites tend to start as soon as you see the black water. At start of season I used to head off home just before slack water however on one tide in November I was fishing next to a guy who works in GB angling, we both had a codling each then he moved to clarence rock, with me in tow. He landed a couple of 5-6lbers and I managed a couple upto 7lb. As soon as the flood started he moved back to our 1st spot and we managed a couple more. You need a decent size tide to hit the hole at clarence, and waders are very handy (ask Mattylamb)

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

tell me about it, you definitely need waders, i spent 3 hours with 2 wellies full of icy cold water!

As Mark saysits agreat spot to fish on a good northerly sea at low water

5. GJW

GJW Rockling

Cheers Glenn, i have only fished at Saltwick a couple of times, i went a couple of years back i think it was the night i bumped into you at the top, think you had a club match and if my memory serves me right you won it with a 20lb+ bag, Anyway i went round onto the black nab but the wind was terrible that night and sea was big i didn't like the look of it at all on there, so i left the lads and walked back along the beach to the old harbour i fished on the rocks on the Whitby side, and to be honest i didn't think it looked very good at all it was flat in the harbour but i chucked in anyway, i could believe my eye's when my rod bucked over to a good cod bite, and i pulled in a nice 6lber and i went on to catch 4 more nice cod and the lads came back from black nab with nothing but they got a couple when they joined me at the old harbour, to be honest i think i left it a little late on the flood tide as it started to fill in behind me and i had to watch my step as i made my way back to shore.... but all in all a good nights fishing.... :yes: :yes:

Well i will give you the Boiler Hole Cowbar, This is a mark that can take a very big sea over low water i have never known it be to heavy to catch fish at this spot and can fish on all but the slackest of tides were you could have a problem getting past the cut off's to reach it, but i would preferably like a tide around 1.2m Although its not my favourite spot it can throw out some nice fish and i know of fish to 15lb and my mate got one 13lb this season from there...

Just a bit of basic infomation...

Tightlines..

6. Baramundi Bob

Yes I remember that night Gary. I looked at Saltwick from the top, decided it would be a waste of time (how wrong I was) and headed off Elsewhere. I usually use Saltwick as my benchmark for looking at the sea. I look at Saltwick and then I know from whats happening there what the sea should be like on other marks.

These are the fish I caught that night, all in an hour. :

[​IMG]

7. GJW

GJW Rockling

Nice bag Glenn, i guess i just had one of them lucky nights because apart from the fish i had and the couple of mops my mate's caught, no one else seemed to have out,, i tried an hour on the beach after i got pushed out the harbour but never got another bite...

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

again i must admit i have been dissapointed at
    the response to this post i thought that as the
    breath of fresh air that was sweeping in , some people will have a few more marks in there book
    now, but it could and i m o should have been
    that much better, maybe the time isnt right, but will it ever be ?

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Or some of us just not that good Big Cliff :happy: . Fishing Holderness its hard to come up with a pattern, one tide the fish are there, the next at exactly the same time nowt. <sigh> wish i was that good :sad:

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

As discussed before the people on here are willing to help and yes the new blood coming through should be encouraged at every opportunity....but the open forum for the world to view is not going to be the place for everyone who has spent years working things out , to just give up all that hard work because it is suggested as being a good idea.
    The juniors at the club level will get help from the experienced anglers....but a forum really isn't the place that all those hours of failures as well as successes should be aired.

Only my opinion Bigcliff....but I doubt you get the open response you are expecting...and to be honest rightly so.

Cheers Jellyworm

11. Baramundi Bob

Im waiting to see if you keep your part of the deal and tell us which end of the patio fishes best on an ebbing tide :wink:. Have you done any fishing of recent times Alan ?

Best Regards - Glenn :wink: :wink:

As I mentioned on my initial topic - wrong to gi9ve marks away, the internet will in time become home to the angling press. Sea angler etc could well be no more in a few years time. Also keep an eye on the internet for a new site coming soon from a well known TV angler. Possibly listing many new marks all around the Uk and lots from this area with pictures - top quality pictures too..

Maybe we should jump in first and do our own articles with pics, that way we control what info goes out ? As it will be a first come first served thing with the search engines and if the new guy gets in with interesting articles on our marks then all the search engine traffic will follow it and this site will loose out and perhaps loose potential new members - who knows what the consequences will be long term. You might all be joining a different national forum soon :surprise:..

12. GJW

GJW Rockling

I agree there is a lot of really helpful people who use this forum, and i know if you were after specific info or a bit of genral advice on a certain fishing mark if you take the time to P M them they would help you,
    but i can understand why people dont want to put good fishing spots on the main forum... We could all put some fishing marks down that arnt that good, but all people will end up with is a book of useless fishing spots...

I have helped people on this forum and i have also had a lot of help from people on this forum, so it just goes to show that the forum is working..

Long may it continue... :yes: :yes: :happy:

Just my opinion

Gary

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Ditto ...well put. :happy:

The forum isn't at risk of failing by a little of the working out being left up to the individual.

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

You might all be joining a different national forum soon ..

No chance of that Glenn, belong to several forums but this place is home :embarrass: . This forum is magical with some great members and centred around one of the most amazing, beautiful and diverse coastline in the UK :yes: :yes: :yes:

15. GJW

GJW Rockling

I only belong to the one and i dont need any other forum.....like carpyken said this is home, it has all the info i need :yes:

16. robq

robq Rockling

Me too :yes:

I have 6 forums in my favourites but only go on the others when really bored :whatever: :whatever:

this is the only site I go on daily, without fail !! It has everything I want in kayak, rock, boat and beach with some good helpful genuine members

17. Baramundi Bob

Well that is the case now lads but who knows what the future holds, like I say there is some big players soon to come on the net. We all need to put as much into the site as we possibly can to keep it unique & interesting, it needs unique content to keep people coming here, so that new people come and join and we can discuss different things with different people in the future.

The futures in - "how to videos" by the way :wink:. So the next topic on marks needs a vid of big Al casting in off the patio. Mind the heater with the pendulem though :surprise: :wink:

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

ner dont think big names will fill forums with great informative content, will just be full of sad groupies n wanabees :yes: :laugh:

Every post will be " Oh Henry I think your great, your the best, do you recommend a green or blue Repele glow plug mate mate mate" :laugh:

19. GJW

GJW Rockling

I will do a write up on fishing Scotlands rugged east coast for cod when we go up in June Glenn, and also one for fishing the West coast for Pollack and Bass in July or August time, Al and the lads will have to help me out with some of the fish pic's like... :yes: :yes:

Tightlines,

Gary

20. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ll do you a video of how not to land a fish.....infact could be a full series :wink: :wink: