1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire Coast Tunny Fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ive been reading a book entitled Tunny, all about the Yorkshire coast Tunny fishery in the years either side of the second world war. If anyone hasnt read it, I can really recommend the book.

It sets the scene of how the fishery was discovered, and how the great Lorenzo Mitchel Henry designed his own tackle (Even testing it by attaching the line to his Bently and trying to wind it in).

A really great read and quite funny how Lorenzo kicks the Scarborough Tunny club into touch and comes to Whitby to catch the world record (Just goes to show that Whitby has always been the countries premier angling port, and not a mention of Hartlepool anywhere).

2. rupert

rupert Blenny

Glenn

Were might a get a copy?

Rupert

3. rupert

rupert Blenny

Think I've found it on Amazon - Is it the book by Chris Berry?

Hope so anyway - because that's what I've ordered!

4. gleadall474

gleadall474 i want to live by the sea

i told my wife about that book the other week and i keep telling her about it as its our anniversary on the 27th. bet i don't get it though :laugh:

5. ted_stickle

ted_stickle Blenny

Why dont you buy it for her as an anniversary present? :wounded: :wounded: :wounded:

6. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Nice one Ted Ha Ha then if she doesent like it rather than send it back you keep it must remember to buy my wife a warrior 175 for christmas tightlines Alain

7. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Do tunny still exist in the north sea,or have they completely disappeared ?and was it the decimation of the herring shoal's that caused it?

8. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

9. filey bouy

filey bouy www.fileylifeboat.co.uk

10. smokey

smokey Rockling

Just watched the climmer footage at bemmo Barry,absolutely amazing footage,they must have had balls like balloons to do that,health and safety... pah :scare:
    Didn't gonzo fall down band when gull egging when he was younger :suspious: :scare: tight lines

11. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

what a cracking bit of film :scared: i would guess he had many a scrambled egg by the way he came up that cliff. :surprise:
    Back in the day when you could do what you wanted and enjoy doing it

12. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Scarborough is still the best yakking and bassing port though :laugh:

13. robq

robq Rockling

And as I remember corrcetly Iain, scarborough was the base for the tunny club too :yes: :yes:

Whitby was a bit BASIC for want of a better word back then :crazy:

14. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

May have to get that book.

Where is the tunny club?

15. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have a large collection of 50's & 60's magazines passed down to me, and when i've been flicking i've noticed some north sea tunny articles. I never really believed that they were worth going for in the north sea, but it appears so!

16. fishtail

fishtail Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The Woodend Museum in Scarborough used to have an exhibition of Tunny fishing with displays of the huge reels and hooks, also lots of photographs from the Tunny Club.
    Its been a few years since I was last saw it but it's probably still there.
    Worth a visit.

17. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

If you are ever near Alnwick pop into the (house of hardy) museum in there you will see all the tackle used to catch tunny plus lots more think a chap called (zane grey) was the man who used to fish for tunny out of scarborough

18. mick webster

mick webster Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Does anyone remember that old green shed at Scarboro where you could pay a few pennies and see all manner of strange fish all caught locally, i have many happy memories of Scarboro, like in the sixties when we used to throw scooters over the Marine Drive, i dont' know, theres' nowt' for kids to do these days!

19. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mick i remember that hut i was about 10years old its where i first saw your picture i said whats that there bloke said its a picture of mick webster from york i said its a ugly little cker in it then a fisherman with only one ear told me it was a thornback ray it was sat on ice with the belly shown looking forwards looked has if it was smiling just looks like mick now your still a ugly cker now Ha Ha Ha tightlines Alain

20. mick webster

mick webster Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I will be a good lookin' bugger tomorrow Al, ive' got a hairdressers appointment in the morning, 9.30 sharp, ill' have to set my alarm clock.