1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YORKSHIRE COAST SUMMER FISHING - Summer Fun

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by PhilEllis, Mar 15, 2009.

1. PhilEllis

PhilEllis Blenny

As the cod season draws to a close and many anglers pack the big beach casters away until Nov when the next Northerlies come howling in - has anybody experienced rock fishing over deep water for Pollock, Bass and Mackeral on lightish gear such as a stiff carp rod or even a spinning rod.
    I watched Henry Gilby on sky going round Ireland doing it and he seemed to nail Pollock and Bass on rubber worms and even surface poppers. It looks brilliant.
    Do we have deep clear water over kelp beds in our region or is it more of a west coast kind o thing. Has anyone even tried it round here to varying degrees of success?
    I spoke to an angler at redcar gare last year and he reconed he caught a ten pound salmon doing it!!!!!! :sick:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Summer Fun

Its all on your doorstep Phill. Even some of the finest summer cod fishing is easy to find in the south of the region. If you can get hold of some back issues of Sea Angler you can read Steve Ianson's articles on Bempton Bottoms, Or if you wait a while the articles will likely be published on planetseafishing which is an excellent resource for some articles on the local fishing.

Speaking to one of the local Bass anglers last year I remember something he said -

3. PhilEllis

PhilEllis Blenny

Re: Summer Fun

Thanks I will do my research. I might devote this summer to light tackle roving fishing and let people know how I get on!

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

there is some good shore angling in our area if we are prepared to look and experiment
    as glen said there is some fine marks for cod fishing into the heavy kelp , we
    havent the same wealth of marks for pollack , but as i have said before anywhere
    you have heavy ground that catches the tide and dosent ebb out has real
    possibilities for pollack , round by the brigg , bleau wyke , west pier at whitby
    all will produce in the right conditions , plus people are just starting to wake up
    to the bass fishing in the area which offers a lot scope