1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire Coast Paddle For RNLI

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by newdave, Aug 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. newdave

newdave Guest

might take more than one post as there is an awful lot to cram in, we started what seems like a week ago on Friday morning with a launch from Skininggrove beach, myself & ken were starting there & another 4 friends from the Scarborough Kayak club & East Barnby outdoor centre were to join us at Staithes. the weather had been poor but with the forecast for at least a day of light winds we decided to give it a go. plenty of surf on the beach :yes:
    It was a first for Ken & myself kitting out a kayak to support yourself for 3 days, but after making lots of list & careful packing we were soon ready to go, after seeing the weather forecast we left the fishing tackle in the car :angry:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    10:15 & we were ready to fight our way out through the surf :yes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    once clear of the breaking waves it was just a matter of dealing with a very big swell, don't think the pictures do it justice but we had to get well out from boulbyto avoid thebreaking waves
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Marion was spying on us from the top.
    [​IMG]
    we were soon down the 7.5km to Staithes where we were joined by our friends Martin, John, Angela & Nicky
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The rest of the trip down was relatively uneventful, but getting ashore for lunch was going to be difficult, so we opted for going into Whitby & sat on the south beach under the gaze of the holiday crowds :embarrass:
    [​IMG]
    we were really struggling for a place to camp & the only option for landing was RHB, so we headed back out thought the east pier and continued our trip finally getting ashore at stoop beck about 5pm, we were met by an angler who immediately told us we couldn't stay there, we told him that we had know option as there was no where else to land but that didn't seem to bother him. apparently he was the mad women's son :yes:
    after climbing onto a grassy bank & getting some more abuse from the mad women herself we decided to inhabit the narrow strip of shingle above the HW mark.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    eventually they got the message that we were staying & let us to burn our sausages & quench the thirst of a 35k paddle :happy:
    Its amazing how comfortable a bed of boulders can be after a days paddling :yes:

2. hughiep

hughiep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done on the paddle..was down in whitby earlier and if it had been today you would have had no chance i dont think...who is the mad women..???

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Great stuff lads well done. Ill have to get on the site and give my donation, I just keep forgetting.

On another note, someone really needs to have a very serious word with them w@nkers at Stoop beck, they think they own the f-ing coastline. One dark night I hope they just pick on the wrong person. I used to get similar hassle off the mad people at the foghorn, untill I told them what I thought of them, then they didnt bother much after that.

4. langy

langy Rockling

Cracking report that Dave a 35k paddle :surprise:

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Go fishing at Stoope Beck and youll find out. She hangs out of the house window swearing at you and threatening to wreck your car if you park there. By the sounds on it, her sons an idiot too.

6. robq

robq Rockling

Its not often I venture up there but next time I do I am ready for her :yes:

Almost all anglers that fish there are serious anglers and are fairly considerate I believe !!

No need for it whatsoever :confused:

Great pics and story so far Ken and Dave :cool:

I would love to do something like that myself If I had the right kit :yes: I never thought of myself as a kayaker but just someone who uses one to catch fish !! however the more I do it the more enjoy the kayak side to it :yes: the fishing is often secondary to the whole experience.

Maybe next year I might join you :cheesy:

7. langy

langy Rockling

We havn't had no problems from her but she must be weird if she lives down there on her own :scared:

8. hughiep

hughiep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers mate ide never heard of her until now....sounds like a strange family....might be all the inbreeding if they live in such a remote area.

:cheesy:

9. langy

langy Rockling

10. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

well done evryone, what a great achievement

11. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well done on finishing the paddle great effort.

As for the mad woman.... I ve only met her once and just smiled at her ranting.........leaving the car there I thought best not rattle her too much !

So what is the next mission for the Scarborough paddlers ?

12. GJW

GJW Rockling

Wow awesome lads.... :cool:. That launch at grove looked tricky into the swells dont think i would of got past the first breaker before it dumped me out... :baby:. Did you check Boulby ropes on the way past... :wink:

13. newdave

newdave Guest

Day 2 started with a nice cooked breakfast before we packed up & headed off at 09:00 leaving the sleepy hollow in pristine condition, the swell had subsided a lot overnight & we had a little play in the surf over the steel before we headed south again,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the wind was just a fresh westerly & despite the fact we were paddling against the tide we made good progress, we still had the problem of getting ashore so we just got a nice rhythm going and by lunchtime we were in jacksons bay, we pulled into the beach which once again very busy, there was some bloke beachcasting in a very small pair of speedos :surprise: was it anyone of the site :whistle:

[​IMG]
    so after a comfort break & a sarnie it was off again
    [​IMG]
    As we got to the drive we noticed that there were yachts everywhere going around in a big circle, mindfull that we didn't want to get involved in that i called up the harbour to find out what they were doing, I was just told that it was the regatta & they were preparing to start there race, however he had know idea which direction they were gong to set off in :crazy: so we just had to take detour around the south bay & hope they were going the other way :whatever:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the weather was getting worse now with squally showers & a fresh westerly pushing us on, which makes keeping a straight course a bit difficult,
    [​IMG]
    fortunately we picked up the strengthening flood tide off casty & were soon riding the jetstream down to the Brig :happy:
    we were still a bit unsure were we could spend the night, so we visited Barry at the cobble landing were he kindly bought us coffee & supplied replenishment to our beer cabinet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    we also took the opportunity to have a look at the weather forcast, it was pretty obvious that sunday was going to be a nasty day to be afloat, we reasoned that we would either have to end it there or, get as near to Bempton as possible & get an early start to get around the head before the worst weather arrived.
    Plan B it is then :happy:
    the wind was already fresh & another hour got us to the beach between Rieghton sands & speeton, we found a nice quiet little spot & set up camp,
    A little more than 40km today, so a few aches, but not to bad really :happy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the view from my penthouse tent
    [​IMG]
    just as we got all settled this family of the Molemans relatives from Cleckhuddersfax or somewhere abseiled down the cliff behind us & had a swim & through a few rocks about :crazy:
    [​IMG]
    fortunately they soon got bored & left us to do our Ray mears stuff,(build a fire & heat the Chilli con Carne that my good wife had cooked & put in a bag for me) :wink:
    we had a very near miss with dinner, we had just got the camp fire burning nicely with a griddle on ready for dinner when the whole lot exploded sending burning embers everywhere :surprise:
    the cause was found to be a stone that had exploded, it completely emptied the fire pit & we are still finding stuff that was damaged.
    second time it went much better & after a good dinner & a few beers some of us were soon ready for bed again.

14. langy

langy Rockling

Another smashing report Spawney :D well done to all of you

Langy

15. GJW

GJW Rockling

Wow great report, lucky there was no casualties in the exploding fire.... :surprise: Big Cliff once had a fire at the back of Boulby gulley many moons a go and again a rock exploded..

As for the bloke beach casting at Jackson's bay in his speedo's it was probably Ray..... :laugh:

Tightlines.

16. langy

langy Rockling

Or Quinster :wink:

17. newdave

newdave Guest

Day 3

with NW gales forcast for this morning we were primed for an early start as we really didn't want to carry the yaks up reighton :no:
    the waves seemed very loud during the night so we were all awake at first light, didn't seem too bad in the morning but we decided to forego brekkie & pack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    we were on the water for 5:45 as soon as we approached the cliffs at Speeton the norwesterly wind started to howl down the cliff face, paddling was survival mode, try to keep a straight course & be ready to brace on every wave,
    [​IMG]
    it got a bit better as we went further down & in 2 hours we were closing on the head, not many photos today as both hands were needed :yes:
    we had convinced ourselves that once round the head it would be plain sailing, :no: wrong
    the wind was actually a westerly & the course for SL was now west so the real graft began. I thought i new every inch of those cliffs but I lost all credability with the group after telling them the end was just round the next corner 4 times :laugh:
    [​IMG]
    the wind speed was defo force 6 by now & it was real hard graft, Ange was amazing as she showed real determination despite being very tired.
    eventually we got around that last bend & dragged ourselves ashore, mission accomplished :yes: :happy: :happy:
    [​IMG]
    the life boat crew were gathering for there Sunday drills & kindly made us coffee & there PR lady interviewed us & thanked us for the effort.
    [​IMG]
    by this time Nicky had arrived with the mini bus & trailor so it was just to load up & head to the Cafe for a full monty Breakfast, fantastic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh & I have a name for my Sea kayak :yes:
    It is now the Starfish Enterprise :laugh:

18. smokey

smokey Rockling

Great stuff lads and a cracking report.
    Regarding the old hag in the house,if she starts hurling abuse at you and threatening your car,tell her where to go and tell her if you come back to any damage,you will brick every window in her house,it seems to work,we've had a couple of go's with her over the years.

19. langy

langy Rockling

That top photo is a cracker, that breaky looks good too :hungry:

20. smokey

smokey Rockling

I hope you aren't letting rip in that last photo Mr Adamson,especially in front of a lady :surprise: :whistle: :butt: :happy: tight lines