1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yo Zuri Pins Minnow- 50mm

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Jan 23, 2010.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

Picked up one of these little beauties. With the usual quality finish on a smaller scale these should be ideal to fish on rivers in conditions that would demand a light and slim lure like a quill minnow. IE: Summer sea trout in fast clearing water

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great Perch lures Ian, nice little baits :yes:

3. bucko

bucko New Member

What strength line would you use with them Sam? With them being so light I was thinking of braid around the 6lb mark or simply letting them float down into the lies then fishing it across the current.

4. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Have you not tried makeing your own quill minnows.
    I collect Goose quills from Selset or ive got some at Witton Castle Lakes.
    Ive made some quill minnows, but i simply never get round to fishing the spinning rod .
    No confidence, the last fish i caught on a spinner was of Whitby in the 70/80s.

5. bucko

bucko New Member

I think with fly tying, rig making, making my own bladed spinners and flying c's I've got enough on my plate really. Personally, I class the spinning gear as an essential part of my arsenal for coloured water when fly is no good.

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I use 13lb braid for all my ultralight fishing Ian, can cast 2g lures no problem. Have some remaining that I'm selling off :wink:

7. bucko

bucko New Member

Well keep me a spool until next weekend mate as I'm full of flu at the moment so confined to barracks. It would be ideal for when I fish the river in general as its strong enough for most of my fishing.

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Will do bud, give me a shout next time you are over this way :wink:

9. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

I've used these for some years, and in some conditions they'll outfish other lures. The only problem I have with them is that in strong currents they sometimes ride up (say when you have to bring them across a current), or they can sometimes fail to start properly. That's particularly a problem where you've got small fast flowing pools, or overhanging bushes, and the plug has to start moving immediately on hitting the water. Don't know why it happens, but it can spook fish from taking on the next cast, and quite often in clear water conditions you've only got one cast and you have to make it count! I use 5lb mono, but then I'm only fishing for trout.

10. bucko

bucko New Member

I imagine certain things such as a strong upstream wind would have an effect on such a light lure. Maybe a 'down and across' approach would help it to swim more efficiently, especially combined with a small 'mend' in the line.

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

You'll probably find that just about any lure (specially ultralights) will ride up (roll) once the retrieving speed is to high, not just Pin minnows. Small spinner or perhaps even a small jighead would probably work better in those conditions.