1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yo-Zuri Mag Popper - Where Am I Going Wrong?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Jul 13, 2010.

1. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

I purchased a mag popper at the start of the season.

I use it every time i go out in search of that first bass off the top. The problem is just about every cast, the bloody thing is always tangleing up on itself.

Any tips on how to get the best out of it?

2. newdave

newdave Guest

not an expert myself Dan, but you could be working it too hard ?, if your fishing braid its fairly suttle as just a flick will make it spit. also from my limited exsperience & observing an expert(Ramrod) let it rest between a few pops as they often hit a stationary lure :yes:

3. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Dan & Dave think that turm is called walking the dog you wind in a few yards stop have a sniff then start again when i take my dog Henry out thats what he does walks along stops as a sniff then starts walking try it you might just bag up dont forget to sniff you might smell the Bass tightlines Alain

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I always have this problem with poppers.

5. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Sorry Dan can't really help you, I use one and don't have any problems - could it be something to do with line? I use 30lb power pro and a 20lb 1 foot leader, maybe Ray will give you some tips

6. Baramundi Bob

Maybe you and Ray should take us fishing one night Iain and we can all compare tactics.

7. esoxuk

esoxuk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I presume you mean on the retreave.... this is because you are jerking it forwards by more distance than you are winding the line.
    Try shorter downwards taps and as you lift the rod turn the reel a couple of turns to take in any slack, this will help you maintain better contact.
    If its tangling on the cast by turning mid air, slow down your action for a smoother launch allowing the lure to pull away from you then increase the power till it starts happening again....it could be you are trying to cast too far.

8. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

i like that idea glenn.

i use 30lb power pro straight through so maybe its time to use a stiff mono leader

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah we all like that idea ....

10. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

esoxuk has more or less answered your question Dan. I assume you are tangling on the retrieve. Don't be to violent with the "tugs" at first. Try to keep in contact with the plug by winding as well as working the plug. The more you use it the more feel you will get. I noticed that you fish when there is quite a bit of surf on too which won't help.

I will gladly come and show you at your favorite mark :whistle:

11. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

Using 3ft of a very stiff mono will reduce this happening. Of course you could just replace it with a patchinko, which is a much better surafce lure in my opinion.

12. Baramundi Bob

which pachinko ?

13. baza

baza New Member

like has been said dont try and pop it too hard. ive a black one and it works very well when using a walk the dog action (constant twitching in one direction and a slow retrieve) shakes it ass lovely in calm water, no need to pop it.

14. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

The black and silver patchinko 2, Glenn. Its a great colour as it can be used in bright conditions when the sun brings out the best of its silver flanks but its also very useful at dusk and darkness due to its great sillouette. As with a lot of other surface lures, a short pause every now and then can induce a take. At 25gms they cast like bullets and very rarely tangle in the very sharp decoy trebles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Baramundi Bob

Isit called the "top water" ? wherecan you get them, Mr Fish Jersey I guess ?

16. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

Yes mate, Mr fish stocks them. Sometimes he will run out of stock though for lengthy periods. Failing that you can get them from reelsanddeals on ebay but they are 3 quid more expensive.

17. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

It happened to me twice,, that was it. I use 30lb power pro straight through but I just put it down to my cast.

18. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

thanks for all your help lads