1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yo Zuri Crystal Minnow Strikes Again - Big Fish Swirling Like Crocs

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Buy Yo Zuri crystal minnows Here.

The first year myself and the lads got Kayaks we had one hell of a late season. One or 2 nights in particular stick in my mind from that year when we sat and watched big pollack and bass feeding off the surface on tiny shrimps. Thats year the fishing was awesome and we didnt seem to be able to put a foot wrong on the pollack front.

Every year since we have been back to the same set of marks looking for the same type of action but alas its never materialised at those marks since, untill tonight that is.

I spent the first hour or so fishing for sandeels and then ventured a bit further in search of pollack. First stop was a little mark myself and Mike came across quite by chance, and first cast there was a big flash and a swirl the size of a crocodile just behind the lure. This fish missed the lure but it was a sure sign things were looking good.

Next cast I was into a pollack, nothing big but it showed they were there and feeding. The next couple of hours I couldnt fall off. The fish were coming thick and fast to the Yo Zuri Crsytal Minnow. I also tried a few of the sandeels I had caught under a float, and the pollack went mad for those too. On one occasion a big pollack smashed the float on the surface, right under my nose, and at the same time the float pulled straight under as a second pollack took the sandeel. The fish were not only feeding but clearly competing, and when they are switched on like this the fishing is nothing short of awesome.

Fishing like this is what I wait all year for. Most years you only get a handfull of chances to get at them. Fingers crossed we will get a few more good sessions before this summer is gone.

Here are a few pics of some of the pollack. I reckon Ive had 20 or more tonight with the biggest somewhere areound 8lb or maybe a little bit more. I never took and scales and I refuse to kill them just to weigh them on land. Such an awesome fish deserves to live and hopefull be caught again and again as it gets bigger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Awesome! That's what it's all about, some proper fishing! Well done lads, some lovely fish there :yes:

3. Baramundi Bob

a couple of little videos on the Facebook page.

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Me and the molester had a look south in the search for a bass last night and the water was all coloured up!
    I've about given up with bass :cry: and might stock up on some of those big prawns for some pollacking.
    Just need a new net, if I can just find our lasses tights :nerd:

5. mattiethomp

mattiethomp skinnygrove back alley shin kickers

Glen, have you looked on the tinternet for length/girth conversion scales then you cun measure fish release em n you've got a good idea of the fishes weight without killing it needlessly on the continent they have tables for pike it might be worth a sniff about

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Some lovely broad fish there- well done.
    They sure like that green minnow!

7. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Mint plug! Roll on summer!

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ve just finished a sh!!ty weekend of late turns, knackered and just seen this.................NOW WE'RE TALKING ! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Great bump thread Glenn..........anymore bring em on too. 8)

9. Baramundi Bob

Wont be long now Dave :)

10. quint

Do these beasts take the plug near the surface/yak Glenn?

11. Baramundi Bob

Yes mate, near enough off the top. As you get into Aug and Sept Im sure they would take poppers.

12. quint

Just what I wanted to hear, I'll join you when there on, but not in the yak

13. Baramundi Bob

Will be interesting :)

14. Baramundi Bob

Ive had them try to take my float on a few occasions so I assume they would take a popper no problem.

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ve had them on the drop under a sliding float and trolling (not my favoured method......too detached from that first hit) My better fish have come from casting from the yak and working a firetail eel...........I'm going to have to try the shallower plugs this year 8)

16. Baramundi Bob

Ive bought every soft plastic under the sun for this years trip to Skye. Im a pollack addict.

17. quint

I want to see them come up from the depths, see them take my plug, and watch them drag me along in my wetsuit

18. Baramundi Bob

Mike had a pollack of around 14 -16lb off the surface. It drafwed anything we have ever caught and weve all had them around 10lb. Sadly we never got chance to weigh it. We saw it, it was laid very quiet at the side of the yak with us staring at it in wonder, just before it did a dissapearing trick on us.

19. Baramundi Bob

You want to swim out quint ? ;D

20. Baramundi Bob

Mentalist