1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yakkin at the weekend = 10lb 1oz Cod :)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Sambo, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Sorry for the delay posting this, been meaning to for the last few days.

Had a good day out on the kayak on Sunday, met Ben, Matty, Lee and Mack on the slipway at 5.30am and set up ready for the day's fishing. Conditions were good with a nice clear sea but a bit of chop on the surface, that soon calmed down when the tide changed though. Matty had the first fish of a few pound then I followed with a similar size fish, Ben picked up a 4lber and Lee picked up a few Billet which he was well pleased with seeing as this was his first fishing trip out on the yak :happy:
    Poor Mack though seem to manage to avoid any fish throughout the first part of the morning, by lunchtime though Mack and Lee had landed a few nice Cod each, Ben and Matty and landed plenty of fish and I had 6 decent fish up to 6lb. Mack & Lee called on the radio to say they were heading in, 5 seconds later my rod bent double as this fish went mental! I literally couldn't do a thing with it for a while! I would get a few feet of line then it would stripe another 10, after what seemed like an age the fish gradually came to surface and a nice plump Cod appeared. It sounds a bit much but I was expecting bigger after the fight it put up but I was very pleased and it looked like a fish to beat Ken's 10lb 4oz :wink: Unfortunately I was a few ounces short at 10lb 1oz but obviously that doesn't matter due to Spud landed a beauty 50lb Tope the same day!
    Also bumped into Glenn whilst we were out there, we headed a shore at around 2-3pm where as Glenn stayed until 6pm ish. How did it go Glenn?

A few pics:

[​IMG]

Taming the beast :cheesy:

[​IMG]

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Cracking fish Sam, well done :yes: :yes:

3. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

well done sam, another kayak double for you

tightlines mate

4. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Nice one Sam some good pictures there what did ye catch it on. I past someone out on a kayak as i went into runswick bay on sunday afternoon about 3 ish it could have been one of you i did give a wave and got one back i was going slow as well consideration for others. ye must have nerves of steel you lads the wind picked up abit when we went back to Whitby about 4.30. Tight lines Chris

5. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Quality fish that sam, think your qa bit of a double magnet what with 2 last year and 1 so far this year
    hope to see a couple more before the seasons over

6. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Well done Sam, been itchin to see the pics :cheesy:, pop me a few of what your using in the post will you, usual address, cash waiting :whistle: :cheesy:

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Dolphin, I use leadheads/hokkis for all my Cod fishing. No doubt it was us you saw mate and thank you for slowing down. Unfortunately a lot of people don't, there was what looked like a bunch of divers on a large rib heading north that shot inbetween us (6 yakkers) whilst we were spaced out fishing over a 200yd area. Does my nut in as we have to stop fishing and paddle to face the wash to reduce the chance of tipping over :angry: :sad:

8. bucko

bucko New Member

Nice one Sam- showing real consistency with these decent cod.

9. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Nice 1 Sam, youve got the knack with the bigger uns!!!!

10. Fishaman07

Fishaman07 New Member

Nice fish well done :cool:

11. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

nice fish there sam. well done

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Yes nice fish Sam, very well done mate. If the conditions are right I bet youll have another out of there before long. Like you guys I stuck it out for a long session. I had nothing for about 3 hours after you left then it was like flicking a switch and I got another 3 in one drift. Then the wind turned strong south east and I headed in. Total for the day was 5 codling and 2 wrasse which I got on bait at slack tide. Im quickly coming to think that the fish are there all the time but its something to do with tide strength that governs wether they are feeding or maybe your end tackle only presents itself right at certain tide times.

Similar thing last night when I went out of Whitby. 7 Codling and a stack of billets in a 2 hour period, then when the tide was flowing - nothing. Its frustrating fishing long periods with no fish. Yet all the time you know that once the tide comes to a certain point the fish will feed. Oh the joys of fishing.

13. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

well done sam....big fish again!!!....

14. Benq23

funny you should say that................. I had a paddle earlier on, will post details later :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

15. carpyken

carpyken New Member

:suspious: :suspious:

waiting Ben.............. :cheesy:

16. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

why are we waiting???

faster ben

17. Benq23

Just waiting on some pictures....dont want to spoil it :hungry:

18. Dav