1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yak? Which one

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by PhilEllis, Jul 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. PhilEllis

PhilEllis Blenny

Im thinking of purchasing a Yak as love the idea of it. I would like to know:
    Which is the safest and most stable?
    Should you go out on your own?
    How heavy are they in terms of - can you carry them to launch them etc...?
    I know they sound like common sense questions - but I would like the answers all the same????
    Thanks

2. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

depends on a few factors really phil.
    e.g..
    are you planning on spending whole days fishing for a variety of species and therefore require a lot of storage?
    or just planning on chucking a spinning rod on board and heading out trolling for bass and pollack.
    if your after a good fishing platform with plenty of storage then you cant beat something along the lines of a prowler or trident from ocean kayak, Ive never heard a bad word said about these (other than a few improvements that could be made)
    if your after something faster and more suited to the constant work that is trolling then something like the ocean kayak scupper pro would be the way forward
    regarding going out on your own, personally Yes I have no issues at all about going kayakking alone, but I do so only at familiar marks that ive fished many times with other people, and always with a VHF radio that Im confident using and obviously PFD and immersion clothing.
    carrying them for any distance is a drag and only really practical if your driving very close to your launch point, if not then do a search for the B&Q special kayak trolley which will have your yak on wheels for a fraction of the cost of a shop bought trolley.
    they are realtively easy to shot onto the roof of a car alone, but much easier if your with a friend who can lend a hand (especially after having paddled for miles....they get heavier after a full days fishing :embarrass:)
    most of all if your going into kayakking dont be afraid to ask "stupid" questions, when it comes to being safe on the water theres no such thing as a stupid question.
    also when you start, shout up on here and any number of yakkers will be happy to come out and show you the ropes....dont start off by going out alone
    all the best mate
    Ben

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Depends on yourbudget and what you want. My recommendation for a good sound kayak is the ocean p13 or the trident 13. If your loaded and have the time and are willing to look after what you buy then look at the kaskazi range.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/ocean-kayaks-prowler-trident-13

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/ocean-prowler-13

Im starting to think the stabilty thing is a bit of a red herring. If you cant stay onboard a kayak under normal conditions then maybe the sport isnt for you. Any of the normal kayaks should be fine in terms of stability, so I really wouldnt worry about that.