1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wykeham pike lake

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by mike_t, Mar 3, 2013.

1. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Been on the cards for a while, a good friend, my son and I went for a trip today. It's been a few years since I have been.
    Mick has now moved on and at the moment a young lad is running it until someone takes over the lease. £8 for the day. Trout lake is now to a small syndicate and the big girl has not shown this year.

I used to fish wykeham a lot and know it very well. So I headed up the left towards the jetty fishing half way between the outflow and jetty. An area I have done well in at this time of year. So two baits were dropped in a few good areas. One trout under a float and a pollen on float ledger.
    We arrived late but baits were out by 10:00. Bit of breaky then set my lure rod up, I took a selection of lures but the old faithful lures sailed out first, working the lures around my baits which has worked many times but never raised a fish.
    Two other lads did a lap of the lake to no avail on lures. Put mine down for a short while until I spotted a jack in the margin, a light twin tail twitched past its nose scared the life out of it as it shot off.
    Sortly after I had a drop back on the trout but nothing I gave it a bit with no movement then lifted the bait which had gone. Somehow the fish had taken my bait but left the hooks.
    It stayed very quiet the rest of the day until mid afternoon when a upper double followed a lure right in to the bank, looked at it then slowly wabbled off. And unfortunately that was the day.
    My mate had seen a jack sat in the margins too but also very spooky. On a plus note I taught my son, 3 years old, to cast which he had cracked by the end of the day. Few pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mattiethomp

mattiethomp skinnygrove back alley shin kickers

Nice piccys mike, how many rods can u fish, £8 seems a bit steep for a water that's only produced jacks for me for a few years, bring back Angus and his sensible management

3. mike_t

Think you could fish upto 4 rods, never seen em round the lake.

Angus was a ledgend used to run it spot on. Few dodgey DVDs and the fishing was free. Plus he listened to me and group of mates for stocking levels.

Bit of work needed to bring it back to its former glory. I enjoyed being back there and did see a nice fish following my lure in. It's always had a habit of being a tough water i will be going back for another go

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice little report Mike, I've fished there many times with lots of fish to low doubles. Lost a big girl there about 6 years ago. Not daft in there, had them hookup then shake their heads violently unti lthe hooks popped out! Might have a run down there at some point but will let it warm up plenty first.

5. mike_t

Who ever is taking on the lease will be in soon. For now it is as is but may change with the new people moving in. I'm looking for another ticket on there do some nights again. They are a strange breed of pike in there, seen a fish of 20+ swimming within a foot of the bank to pick a dead up just dropped in margin discarded swimming past others in deeper water. Guess they know which is safe. I believe ike are smarter than people give them credit for.
    Gonna see if there is any chance of taking the yak on there and have a lure fish