1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wykeham Lakes

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by WillW, Nov 10, 2012.

1. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Does anybody have any upto date news on Wykeham Lakes. I think the lease Mike Hellis had to run them was due to run out this Christmas and the last I heard the estate was going to run them themselves.

Hope what ever happens the trout fishing continues, it was bad enough losing the causeway lake to holiday lodges, would be really pants if all trout fishing there ended.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

2. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Still don't know how they got the causeway lake, was beautiful down there, shocking thing was they did a survey to see if it held a certain kind of Newt if it did it had to be left. Shockingly none were found. But they were present. Could be a the top fishery in the north so easily.
    Did the pike lake ever get the causeway through the middle of it??

3. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not sure about the pike lake, was that the quarry wanting to put in a causeway? Know what you mean about the potential, the water quality is superb. Not sure the estate have any real interest in developing it tho' more interested on sailing and holiday parks :-(

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

4. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

That's all they are bothered about.
    The trout lake itself contains some cracking fish, had trout to double figures. Had 20lb+ pike out the pike lake and big bags of mixed coarse fish out carp lake. Loved the place once, but just worse and worse.
    Met a few people from the estate and all they ever cared about was the boating lake.

Yes the quarry were starting a new dig at the back of the pike lake, and it was a lot cheaper to run a belt through the centre of the lake than round it.