1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ww grass, snapped rod, big fish!!!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Lobbers, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

cut to the quick, busy day work 2moz

ww, for the teatime high 10foot of grass up the line, quick move to runny, bullnose wall left side 45 mins of flood left, i had two rods with me and didnt want to leave one in the car , baited up, cast towards k ness, BANG!!!!, FOOOOOOOKING SNAPPED ONE OF MY ZIPPY'S, didnt even see where the tip went, gutted but needed a bait in so set other rod up, for quickness, slid a couple of fresh blacks on , and sent them out, bang on high water, riving bite , picked up and slammed me over, fought like a mootha foooka, no snags and hanballed out mint, no more bites after that only rockling, went on rocks , but came off well before low. 9lb 5oz at home , well pleased :yes:
    will post pic later on 50 challenge.

2. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Nice one bud but how did you snap your zzippy

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Wow, a snapped zziplex. Not many people have managed that.

4. Lobbers

just went for it like i always do, when your fishing "the gap", off the bullnose , i always try to get a bait as far out as possible, because the only other person i have ever heard of catching good fish off there is peeping john, and he puts a bait a mile too. i just tucked it under and bruted it like i always do and heard an allmightey crack, did'nt even see where the tip went. i still punched my other one out mint. anyway im after another zeteque, if anybody has one. i dont know, hopefully this is just badluck with the rod, i dont want to go back to the ttr boooolocks

5. bow1

bow1 Rockling

nice fish paul,well done.
    wheres this bullnoe.first ive heard of it.

i snapped my zippy last year and im no big hitter.sent it back ang got tip replaced through keihs.x rays say had impact damage .can only assume summat shifted in car.had excellent service from terry carrol.try sending yours back mate.
    as they say shy bairns get no sweets!!!!!
    bet ur gutted.

6. rubbish

rubbish New Member

nothing to do with power , just to short a drop and snaking your tip. you will have to go back to 4oz leads soon ha ha

7. robq

robq Rockling

Maybe your style is column loading the blank due the lead well inside the tip ?? I have seen that done a few times paul :death:

8. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Oh Mystic (offerings are in the post) - are there vibrations for Fri (14th) - Mon? I feel a disturbance in the force and luckily I'm heading out of my hillbilly shack to the coast that weekend.
    Would you recommend me killin' the crawdad Friday dinner time and gettin' me inbred a£$€ to the rocks before they go limp?

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

You name it we have done it with the Zipplex rods and never had a bit of trouble and when our Martin hits a rod it knows its been hit

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

I have to admit that my £20 rod is looking more and more like buying Gold at $300/oz. Now I'm willing to accept that a a bang in the car would weaken even the the best rod but there seems to be a lot of people snapping their kit of late. Bad batch? Not as good as reputation would suggest?

11. robq

robq Rockling

how many other zzippies have you heard snap ?? I havent heard of any at all for a lot of years :suspious:

12. dw1980

dw1980 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Watched you chuck on cowbar jetty last night mate, column loaded well inside the tip as rob says. asking for trouble especially with any sort of power and these modern high/all carbon rods.
    hope this helps, cheers, chris.

13. dw1980

Did you find any of them magic tip lights at smythes btw :wink:.

14. robq

robq Rockling

Its a load that rods just dont like at all :no:

You see lads when they are talking to you holding rod in one hand and line in the other pulling the line and tweaking the tip round !!

I have seen 2 rods snapped this way with hardly any pressure !! and suspect plenty of others snapped later on due to the damage it causes :death:

I know myself when fishing cramped spots like the drive, that its tempting to lay it under the tip and smash it as hard as you can, but its best to try and get the lead rotating in a circular motion around the tip and hit the cast as the lead comes around to 90 degrees to the tip or just past it :yes:

Its much kinder to the rod :happy:

15. dw1980

Swinging a fish into your feet with rod up vertical will also give you the same effect :scare:. ive seen people do what you mention rob plenty of times, cant help but look away and wait for a crack lol.

16. robq

robq Rockling

Yeah it makes me cringe when I see it Chris :sick:

Were you at NESA when pete Ingham did it to his brand new torrix a few years back ?

17. dw1980

no mate didnt see him do that :surprise: did the rod last long lol? probably wouldnt last long anyway with pete having the habbit of casting just about anything he can tie on the leader :scared: seem to remember a brick flying down the court haha.

18. robq

robq Rockling

It was brand new torrix P3 I think ? he threaded his leader through the rings and was stood talking with the rod in one hand and pulling the line in the other when BANG !! the tip snapped 18 inches from the end :surprise:

OH DEAR :wounded: :wounded:

19. arc

arc Blenny

Petes not known as "the nutter in the field " for nothing you know :laugh: Fladen sent him some rods to test onetime , 1 being a 10ft , 6 -10oz uptider , well as it said it cast 10 oz Pete decided to see if it would , the result was 165 yds over grass and no sign of it snapping :scared: Wardy , Pete , Richie and me use them as conger rods now .

Definitely agree about the column loading of rods causing more breakages than anything else .

20. Lobbers

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: cant stop pmsl :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: its dripped down to my socks :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: its not even funny now im filling my trainers :whistle: