1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong To Give Marks Away ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Speak to Lawsey, the spawney gets amongst them at the moment.

2. Baramundi Bob

Probably about time for a bump I guess after Dave mentioned this as one of his favourite topics of all time..

And with he Nige Savage remembrance match being recent, this topic seems sadly quite relevant at the current time. In the last few years several anglers have lost their lives locally. There was a couple around Northumberland a couple of years ago to, and of course the sad case of the local jet miner who lost his life on the cliffs a few months ago.

I guess the topic is as relevent now as it was in 2008 when I posted it. Is it right to encourage people to fish dangerous places and is it right to share marks and information.

3. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

People hear of places even if they arent sure exactly where they are or how exactly to get down, they then may think to try the said mark but with no real explanation of how to get down or what to watch out for when at the mark ( cut offs etc ) they are at a disadvantage to those who know the ins and outs of said spots.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. I dont see the need to actively encourage people to fish "dangerous" marks more than anywhere else, I also appreciate that someone at one point in time has had to put the ground work in to these marks but like has been said before, most spots people fish they will have been shown them by someone else, albeit not publicly on an internet forum. No one owns these marks and to think of them as "yours" is wrong and quite frankly ridculous.

Personally and Im not speaking as some fount of north east coast fishing knowledge but Id rather tell someone the correct way down a cliff for example and bump into them the next time down there than deliberately give someone wrong , vague or no info at all on somewhere I knew of only to find out that theve plummetted to their death when it could have been avoided with a bit more transparency.

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Hopefully common sense would prevail, We all have a personal responsibility for ourselves. I would hold on making any judgement on the facts around the poor jet miner incident until the full facts come out. A lot of people sadly are arrested when deaths occur , mainly so that best evidence can be captured and certain evidence gathering powers only come into play when a person is arrested. Most cases those people are very quickly de-arrested as the investigation unfolds and become witnesses.

Should dangerous marks be shared......That will always be a tough call. I don't post and I don't think I have posted full details of some of the capers that Rob and I have got up up to. Yes we ve put pictures on and discussed the descents. But we have stopped short of full details....at least I think we did ::)

I would show someone who I had knowledge of there abilities and I wouldn't take someone with me who wasn't equipped properly. If something happened would I be held to account for what happened ? Very possibly, but with a common sense approach I m happy I would be on safe ground (pardon the pun) . Now if they went back on their own ill prepared. No I don't believe you would be held accountable. The decision to visit said mark would rest with the individual surely ?

Back to the OP. is it a question of safety or green eyed competition monsters ? Without a doubt in grown men, (I haven't witnessed women behave the same by the way !), competition brings out the very worst in people. AGM's end up being a batle of wills with people proposing rule changes....that are just a sly way of increasing their own chances at the expense of those better than the proposer ! Info on fish catches is often economical with the truth at best....at worst met with silence or a lie.

Or are we just looking at it from the wrong slant , and really it is just part of the 'poker face' gamesmanship tat is another part of the match fishing jigsaw....and the ability to catch fish is only a small part of what it is about and if you accept that then it becomes less of an issue and just a bit of fun ? Hmmmm just food for thought ;)

5. Borissped

Borissped Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As a newby coming into my second season I wonder if I'd still be as enthusiastic about the sport if it wasn't for the help I've had from fellow anglers.

I've been fortunate to fish alot of marks with Mr Thompson who's knowledge of the local coastline seems never ending! However sharing these marks is one thing knowing how & when to fish them is quite another & I guess something I will get better at with time ie. putting in the effort!

Also had a lot of help from the old fella & from this site to the extent that I've joined a club am now gathering all my own bait & have my annual leave at work geared around the upcoming Filey & Scarborough Festivals!

Is fishing any different to sports if we want to clubs to succeed & bolster their numbers & encourage youngsters then we need to offer a level of support to keep them motivated?

6. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

competition does bring out the worst in some dave but the world revolves around it,whether it be in business or sport,how many have just watched the common wealth games and enjoyed it,not to many bad tempered people there,where would be without football ,what would we talk about?.

The fact is some people are just arseholes in what ever they do and will always cause trouble in what ever they do.i personaly rarely go pleasure fishing,i need a competition to get me motivated to go,i cant see the point in catching 20 pound of fish and then going back home with it ,I need to go back to a weigh in and show it off and brag about it and then lie as to where I caught it LOL.

Its been mentioned a lot about anglers been secretive ,not telling other anglers where they have been,if people wont tell you anything the reality is they probaley don't like or trust you and you really ought to make an effort to be more pleasant and likeable instead of blameing anglers and clubs for been secretive ,its a sad fact today, that a lot of people will blame anyone except themselves, that feels better now.

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Lol....glad you feel better for that Bill ;D ;D

It did give me a wry smile on the odd occasions I had match wins in the club I fished for when I brought some early codlings back the old hands were very keen to find out where I d been , what I d used etc........then later in the season stoney faces when asked the same........it just made me smile. I had a year off last year and thoroughly enjoyed the lack of having to over think my fishing and had many many more hours of enjoyment in good company than the solitary existence that is a match angler.
    However.........I also missed those elements negatively discussed as it does add a degree of spice and as long as you don t take it too seriously and all share a beer or 12 at the prize night....( or as happened at the last one I went to a couple of gallons of Guinness and a night long arm wrestling comp, then some how getting home by unknown means).......club fishing can be a great arena to test your angling skills as well as your gamesmanship.

Hopefully I m having another crack this year as with future shift changes it's the last season this year for me for a good while so I m getting my Zorro mask out and practicing my anti surveillance techniques for getting to marks and I feel a case of mute coming on especially at weigh in times ....lol ;D ;D ;D Roll on this winter season.

8. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

The buzz of catching a good fish in a match takes some beating for me,ive seen grown men shake with excitement after towing a 6 pounder through the kelp on brigg end,ive had my door bell rung at 10.20 pm on a winters night, to see a 70 year old bloke on his way to the weigh in stood there with a broad grin and a 16 pounder in his hand,in my view if you take away the competition you take away a big part of the excitement.

If you asked me would I go to to dig white worms in the middle of the night to go pleasure fishing the next day I would say your crazy man,if it was for a big competition,.... I'm setting my alarm clock now.

As for secrecy whats wrong with throwing a handful of grass in your fish bag and coming back into filey by the southern entrance when you've been down cayton bay,every body does it,........don't they LOL

9. smokey

smokey Rockling

Everyone knows you've either been down hayburn wyke or the Brigg bill ;D ;D

As for digging whites in the middle of the night pppfffftttt I'd consider you more of a dinner time low water man ;D ;)

10. Baramundi Bob

I'm not saying its good or bad practice but I used carry a bag of Saltwick sand in my car boot and sprinkle it into my fish bag when rock fishing.

Ive seen and done it all and anyone denying it is either blind or a lier themselves. That said there are a lot of benefits to match fishing, and anyone wanting to improve should consider it as a good way of learning, but there are also massive benefits to pleasure fishing too.

I now actually discourage competition in our bass club. Dan and the boys will tell you I stopped them from having sweeps to discourage the secrecy and competitive element within our club.

The Motto of the bass club is to share, encourage, motivate and enjoy each others company. With a 45lb tope and 2 fish over 100lbs on the scales in 10 days of fishing I think the sharing and helping has been beneficial to our group of anglers.

11. robq

robq Rockling

I dont catch enough fish or fish enough matches to worry about it ;D BUT Love those 2 tips with the sand and grass ;D ;D

I dont think the secrecy in club fishing will ever stop though and its not necessarily a bad thing IMO

If it keeps guys fishing the clubs with passion and keeps the memberships up to sustainable levels :)

Then surely it helps maintain the base of lads who organise local festivals and matches :) to whom I'm sure we are all very very thankful :D

I know I Am :)

I believe that in most cases its friendly rivalry, where a pint and a bit of banter is enjoyed by most at the end :) but as in most walks of life you end up with a few bellends who take things far too seriously ;D

12. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

funny as fudge a couple of years ago when I started fishing burniston,somewhere new to me,i got a few fish and when I was asked where I'd been and replied burniston,they said f$*k off and laughed ;D ;D ;D

13. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Youre all a bunch of devious gits ;D ;D
    I dont give a toss who knows in a match because theyre usually gone on the next tide most of the time.
    Match fishing is also based on trust and honesty and telling porkies doesnt exactly do you any favours. Personally I wouldnt feel too good about myself if I told someone I was at a certain mark only for them to find out I wasnt.

As for marks, I wouldnt encourage anyone to go to a dodgy one but its up to them. They can do what they want just dont preach to me what I can do or not do! Putting up a pic doesnt hold you responsible for any accident no more than a driving accident being the responsibility of my driving instructer. Besides ive seen some lovely pics of the Matterhorn ;D

once again some great debate and opinions. The cover up stories are not for me but I find them very ammusing :D

14. Baramundi Bob

Cant remember who is was, but one of the Scarborough lads told me he always told the truth when asked about marks, but always grinned immediately afterwards so people thought he lied.

I found that one very amusing.

15. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

Getting your own bait !! That will be the day :( :( :( :( :( :(

16. Baramundi Bob

17. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Funny as Bill..............

Thankfully ive benefited from lots of great advice, often just a taster allowing you to find the rest yourself.

18. Borissped

Borissped Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What's yours is mine!! Ha

19. JohnSLocker

JohnSLocker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have learned the hard way that you have to be discreet and selective with who you tell and show. There is nothing worse than finding and learning a new/great mark and sharing it - to find the first time they go down they leave the place covered in rubbish and cans/bottles.

20. Baramundi Bob

Mmm well thats another matter entirely John. Some peoples disrespect of the coast is beyond words. Thats why I hate some of the more popular marks around here.