1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong To Give Marks Away ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

being someone who has returned to sea angling after a 10 year break,i have found that so many marks i used to fish have changed quite a lot and although having the basic knowledge of those marks such as when to fish them and what tides helps but there have been times when deciphering info about various catch reports and looking at photos carefully have helped put me among fish when i could have easily struggled to catch...and i personally i would help anyone (especially the youngsters) and give any info i know to stop a fellow angler from blanking!! although if it was a comp the info would be basic :wink: :wink:

2. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Yeah i agree help the youngsters as much as you can please. :canadian:

3. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson New Member

There have been a lot of differing opinions posted on this subject all of which are valid as they are just that, opinions, there is no wrong or right. The one thing we all appear to agree on though is the need to help junior and younger anglers as much as possible. This is essential. I can't speak for other clubs but in the Scarborough Clubs juniors are a dying species. They need all the encouragement and assistance we can give them to ensure future generations of sea anglers.

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

With you on that one Kev. I think the Juniors come in phases. 2 years ago we had about 10 juniors fishing, then they all grew too old for the junior sections. One in particular went on to criticise our club for its secrecy - so even though we had the juniors we obviously weren't doing right by them. At the moment we have young Ryan and his enthusiasm is infectious. I reckon its Ryan whose dragged his dad out fishing this past winter on nights he might well have stayed in. He has a good teacher in his dad and Brian Harland so I know the lad has a bright future (if he can stop Brian from speaking in forked tongue :laugh:).

The clubs need to encourage the kids, we need to think of ways to get them to join us. My concern is there are these new sea angling coaches appearing and I am concerned that some aren't really qualified to be doing the job. We need the kids into our clubs so we can not only pass on our knowledge but also the ethos of the local fishing clubs along with the history of fishing in the region and the culture behind the clubs and the festivals. We need to ensure what we have learnt and come to respect as the right ways are passed to the next generation.

5. GJW

GJW Rockling

I totally agree Glenn, we must do our upmost to try and get youngstrer's back into our great sport, i know its going to be hard work as there seem's to be so many distractions for them nowadays with playstation's, computer's and so many other things to occupy there minds, I think we have to make it more intresting for them, when i was a junior we had a healthy stock of youngsters even haveing interclub junior competion against other clubs, which now would be near impossible, with the lack of juniors.....it worries me who is going to run the fishing clubs of tomorrow and the open's in many years down the road.....I am not sure what the answer is,....but what i can say is that if there is any junior who is keen and willing to learn we must go out of our way to help them as much as possible, and not chase them by being secretive for the sake of our sport, and in turn they might enjoy it and start and bring there freinds along too... :happy:

6. dbrown

dbrown Guest

I try to get as many of my mates to come as possible but they don't seem to show much intrest.

7. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson New Member

I think to a certain extent it has to be "in your blood".

8. SAGE

my son will be 11 in september, this season is his 2nd at sea angling, but he has been coarse fishing since the age of 8, and i might say he is quite accomplished in that catagory with carp to 11lb and chub to 6lb 5oz which beats my pb by 2lb :sad: :sad: ....no i am chuffed for him really...
    he has fished with a fixed spool and a 10 ft rod at first but i since xmas he has been using a 13ft rod and 4oz leads, he seems to be able to handle this quite well,as he gets more adept i will to introduce him to a multiplier (probably a small baitcasting reel so he can get his thumb around the spool )and heavier leads, he is now beginning to understand a bit about tides and the state of seas and when to fish them and his understanding of various marks is getting better, but the first thing i taught him was how dangerous the sea can be..
    in fact i think he has made me try a little harder and think a bit clearer to find and catch fish as there is nothing worse than a young'un going home having blanked
    hopefully i will be bringing him down to a few of the safer and easier accessable marks along the yorkshire/lincs coast during this summer and next winter..so if any of you bump into us give him some good tips and then maybe he will share them with me :laugh: :laugh:

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Deffo Sage ....look out for "jellyworm" on my smock and come bring the young un over to say hello ...........good luck to him...my old man set me up for not only a lifetime of fishing but the sound foundation of me and him being real mates fishing together until very recently when a broken hip stopped him.....I ve got so many golden memories of times we've spent together.......priceless.
    Sure you will reep the rewards of all those tangles and "dad help" moments... :happy:

Cheers Jellyworm

10. SAGE

cheers jellyworm, will keep an eye for the "SMOCK" out on our fourthcoming trips as we start to venture further south each time, you never know we might bump into you eventually
    cheers
    sage ( & little sage!!)

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Still havent been sued

12. metal micky

metal micky Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi Glen,you can go to your favourite mark one day and bag up,next day nowt.lot's of marks are only known by reputation or hearsay.I don't see any point in keeping marks a secret,somebody always latche's on to them.
    fish being the beasties they are will only be caught when they want to.

13. metal micky

metal micky Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

teach the young the ones,but teach them well.don't try to be too "macho" in front of your mates,it don't work.the young ones get the wrong idea.

14. jody

jody New Member

I for one would have not carried on sea fishing without the help of this forum and other, not just with marks, but rig and bait info. There's a good saying though you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Without knowing how to assess a mark for fishyspots, know what bait to use and at which tide and period during those tide you may as well be doing it blindfolder, and saying a little pray before you cast out.
    When people don't catch at marks they will generally leave it alone and move on. The main concern for me is the less learned angler picking up information rambling through peoples land and leaving an uncitely mess ruining it for the more dedicated guys whom have gererously share their information promoting the sport.

15. wellycod

wellycod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As a young and fairly inexperienced sea angler it can be great for people to give away marks, certainly it helps with where to park and access down but theres a big difference between saying robinhoods bay and spending years learing the several different spots within the bay how they fish, sea conditions etc.
    Also i feel sorry for places like port mulgrave, this is as easy as fishing gets you dont have to really learn the mark and as a result the less experienced angler probably do better here than other spots thats not to say it produces more fish there just easier to find! People also forget how many anglers fish a place like port mulgrave compaired to how many fish come out probably not as many as you'd expect with a lot more blanks. I recon you've got to try and find your own marks and then learn them its all part of the sport, it your playing golf you dont have so one telling you how to put on every green you have to learn them and then when it all comes together its all the better!

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

There's a good saying though you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink

i Kow a better saying as told by Big Cliff you can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :embarrass:

17. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Some of us are quick to forget how we learnt and still learn new marks and venues.I for one relied heavily on information from others and spent my early days following others about trying to gain as much knowledge as i could about the marks i was fishing.This often involved picking local anglers brains about where to cast,what bait to use e.t.c.90% of the anglers i have met have been friendly and helpful,and without giving away to much,have always pointed me in the right direction.This is something i took on board and have done the same with new or visiting anglers on many occasions and will continue to do so

18. bucko

bucko New Member

I was reading an article here http://www.flyforums.co.uk/news/index.php?news=5809
    Its about the newly formed Northumberland County Angling Action Group.
    This quote is relevant to some of what has been touched upon here:

"The meeting heard that although there were good numbers of game fishing coaches in the county, there was a serious deficiency in those teaching sea fishing and that priority, where possible, should be given to those seeking qualifications in sea angling."

19. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

ifish sea and coarse and have always been keen to pass on what ,where , how and when.
    over the years i had many anglers giving me info and likewise i have done the same for others,surely we are all just enjoying the sport i could save myself a fortune and buy my fish not that ive had many this year but i put my gear in the car and do 200 miles and try my luck like many more do so come on lads make someones day by helping them on to a fish it doesnt cost anything ,i think the more anglers we can encourage onto the beach the better,after all its not all about catching fish its the crack with the lads and much more .frank

20. SAGE

it nearly 2 years since i made that post, my son lee and i have fished quite a lot of marks on the yorkshire coast now.... sometimes catching fish.... sometimes blanking... but each time it was a learning experience.. and without this site some of the marks we have been to ... we had never even heard of... i have used the search facility... read old posts... sent pm,s to site members... received Pm's from site members... and all i can say is......THANKYOU TO EVERYONE...
    our knowledge is greater than it was 2 yrs ago.... we have some friends and acquaintances that i never had 2 yrs ago.... and we also have a kayak that we never had 2 yrs ago...
    and we wouldnt change a thing..... some of the best advice, from some of the best anglers, on the best internet site...

oh ...... theres only one thing i'd like ..... can someone help me land a double :wink: :wink: :laugh:

thanks again

sage and little sage
    (Paul & Lee )