1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong To Give Marks Away ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Being part of the Whitby fishing club its always been beat into my head that you shouldn't give your marks away - Mostly by the clubs old timers who seem sadly stuck in their ways. However the internet has helped me broaden my horizons a bit and I've met many match anglers from other areas who don't seem to worry too much about sharing the marks, infact 1 in particular - probably the best on the coast will go out of his way to help you. Many others have also done similar and several have taken me to their favourite marks.

Why do I ask ? I note the emergence of new internet sites, some quite big with a lot of resources behind them and they are now dedicating areas of their site to marks. I've been looking at the go fishing site which seems to be backed by sea angler. They are starting to include marks. With all snapper Dobsons pics behind them and the sea angler Articles by Ianson et al will it be long until your fave marks in full detail are splashed all over the net. There is another big site set to hit the internet scene in the not to distant future too again backed by the big boys of sea angling.

My question - Is it wrong to share info on your marks ? Is it wrong for websites to put marks on the internet. Should this site be pushing ahead with marks to be one step ahead of the others. They will do it anyway :yes:

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Funny you posted that Glenn I had a conversation re giving info away.
    As we ve discussed in the past the problem comes with some of the marks having not so well publicised access and once the finer details are splashed across the internet will it cause a deluge of travellers from afar turning up in search of the great fishing promised in the articles.

Then though in balance...we all enjoy trying new marks and also reading about how others fish certain areas.

The side is although a mark might be identified, how that mark fishes is another thing....as I well know about Ravenscar....I will crack that place though eventually even though it's not been kind to me.

Sea Dangler has given our Nth East marks a lot of coverage this winter but the marks mentioned haven't been rammed full of anglers....at least I don't think they have ?

Difficult one really but my honest opinion is that the exchange of information is't a bad thing as long as done carefully.
    With this year being a reasonable one as far as the cod fishing goes I wonder if we will see an explosion in numbers of anglers next year....the festival participants figures might be a good indication.

I for one am greatful of the internet for the information available and particularly this site as it helped me back into my fishing big style......must say it is noticeable over the past the past months as the site is growing it is changing .....I hope it retains some of its original personallity from the earlier days :happy: :happy:

Just a few thoughts . Jellyworm.

3. robq

robq Rockling

I dont think that there is anything wrong with sharing marks at all Glenn, after all we all learnt about various marks from other anglers at some point or other :yes:

We all didnt pioneer ALL our own marks did we ?? :no:

It seems to me that in the past you had to belong to one of the clubs, fish the coast a lot and be friendly or fish the open match scene to get your foot in the door and pick up info about some of the more "exclusive" marks shall we say !!

However with the info that is shared on internet sites it is possible to fast track and learn in a year or two what would have taken 10 years to learn say 20 years ago.

Where I think it becomes a sticky subject is where we rely on farmers and some local residents goodwill to allow us access to certain marks, which if were suddenly flooded with cars and anglers with flashing headlights at all hours of the night would soon result in accesss being barred :sad: :sad: I can think of a few holderness marks ( 1 is already lost :angry:) and quite a few N.Yorks markswhere this is the case. In these circumstances I think that it is OK to keep quiet and not give info out willy nilly.

After all, knowing where a mark is and getting to it is only a tiny part of it, learning how and when it fishes can take a lifetime :whatever: :whatever:

Some good anglers have helped me a lot over the years for which I am very thankful :yes: but there is no way that I would expect them to share their hard earned info that has taken them years to learn, that is for the individual to work out for himself by putting in the hours and being observant :yes:

4. Baramundi Bob

Could you elaborate on how you think the site is changing Dave ? We have had this conversation before and you know my feelings that even if it means we loose people I want to keep the site as it was and your input along with others was a key part of that. Hopefully those cliff decent pictures will keep on coming :wink: :happy:

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Difficult one that Glenn ....I suppose it has lost its intimacy a little....but with growth that was bound to happen........I am a member of several other angling forums but this is the one that occupies me the most as it is still relevant to most of my angling.
    Concerns....hmmm......my only one is sometimes the content of posts goes beyond opinion to more than touch on ermmm well......recently there have been examples of racist and homophobic remarks and other things that really needed not to be printed........the artcicle by Mr Yates about "once in print being legal" springs to mind.
    Maybe written i jest but did cause a sharp intake of breath at some.

6. Baramundi Bob

I also share your concerns about farmyard access. Infact you will be able to vouch for my vigilance on this issue. :cheesy: :cheesy:

On another note I was fishing Hawsker over the crimbo period - not long after sea dangler did the article (The one where whacker - "Never speak to sea angler" is perched on a rock holding a big fish). Anyway We looked up at the cliff top and along came atleast 12 people all carrying rods. Clearly they were clueless as to where they were going. 1 ventured half way down the rope but turned back probably in fear.

I think the articles do encourage more people to try them, but only in the short term. I seem to remember coach loads at Saltwick one year after Steve Ianson was pictured with a 20 pounder. But when they realised the venue is no better than anywhere else the attention died down again - Its now probably one of the most underfished marks on the coast.

I think the attention dies as back issue of sea angler go in the bin. However with the dawn of the internet era those articles wont die. No Doubt Sea Angler as a mag will die in the not too distant future - they will probably end up online (I have noticed they now do a lot of advertising for online sites - how long before they switch and become an ezine?). Once the likes of sea angler go online their articles will live for ever and no doubt they will place afull back catalogue of articles on there. I remember some interesting ones over the years on Goldsborough, Boulby etc - they could all be online soon and easy to find though search engines. People will have to get used to sharing their marks with many many more people - the age of secrecy is dieing fast.

Thats just my opinion on where things are heading but I give the likes of sea angler mag in its current foramt no longerthan 6 years....

Watch this space. :happy: :happy:

7. Baramundi Bob

Hi Dave,

I do try to read as much of the forum as possible and to keep an open mind as possible. But like you I find Racism and Homophobia unacceptable and If I see it I remove it and warn the culprits (there are several who will vouch for that) and I know Ray has removed some of the sicker jokes in the past.

I think all members of the site have a duty to police it too. It now takes up one hell of a lot of time and I cant possibly read everything so if anyone does see anything they find unacceptable there is a button on the screen where you can report things to me, Ray or Tim.

One thing that will be coming in the future is a board for over 18 chat only. Im just waiting for the new software to be introduced. This is a topic I posted to the forum support area at the turn of the year. So you can see I do take these issues seriously See :

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=216688

On the other hand I dont want to go too far and ruin peoples fun either. Its a tough call :happy: :happy:

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Totally agree with you there Glenn...and the problem really lies with an individuals personal belief on what is right and wrong.......as you say hard call and too heavily policed would kill some of the passionate debate...lol :wink:
    To be honest never noticed the report button....have now :yes: :yes:
    Wasn't inferring a "pc" gone mad but I m sure you know what I meant anyway.
    I don't think the real offenders last long anyway........who was that sKATEY FELLA NOW ????..HHMMMM lol :wink: :wink: :canadian:

9. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

There are two topics here, marks and information, and each one really relies on the other if it is to serve any purpose to the angler. I have enjoyed the recent local articles in Sea Angler, but the actual information on the venue regards to successful fishing is very limited. The text just gives enough detail to encourage a potential angler to the venue. With regards to marks it really depends how focused you would want to go, simply to say RHB fishes well in a dying Northerly won't put someone on to the hot mark. I think there is enough information on this site already about most major marks, just do a word search and you will find something of use. There is also the abundance of photographs and related comments to give an angling mind a few pointers. I therefore think it would be a good idea to put a related dedicated topic on the site, but I am aware of concerns of upsetting certain anglers. If it was done as the same format as the Sea Angler articles I see no problem at all.

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

:yes: :yes:

11. bucko

bucko Guest

A tough call. One one hand genuine and considerate anglers always deserve a helping hand but on the other fishmongers and other unscrupulous types are best left in the dark.
    Funnily enough while avoiding work this morning and cooing over bass lures I came across this forum for spear fishermen- check out the 'Interesting Link'.
    http://forums.deeperblue.net/hunting-training-tips-techniques/66969-sea-angling-spearos-24.html

12. Baramundi Bob

:wink: For the largest part of the area you'd be sending them on a wild goose chase

13. Maxie

Maxie New Member

ill tell anyone my marks as long as they are :blindfold: its a bit hard to get them there when its rocky though :hurt:

loads of folk know where the marks are but when i am on them in a good sea and catching theres never hardly any one else there,but maybe there isnt as many people fish over this way?
    a lot just see to fish their club matches or high water.

14. Phil A

Phil A New Member

This was a subject I raised on Mike Thrussell’s site and it certainly got a few anglers wound up. I think there are a number of issues to take into account for example:

Does access rely on the good will of the land owners and can all anglers be trusted to respect the wishes of these Landowners?

Are all anglers responsible or are some going to leave rubbish all over you favourite mark?

Would it be wise to publicise a mark where space is limited to just a few anglers?

Are anglers going to take all the fish they catch or can they be trusted to return most of there fish (I’m thinking particularly about bass here)? Can anglers be trusted not to take undersize fish?

Can anglers be trusted to be as safe as experienced anglers when fishing rock marks or making cliff descents. What would be the implication of someone being killed at such a mark.

Should anglers be given good information or should they have to work for it? My view on this is that a keen angler will find out what he wants to know anyway.

15. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

when i first moved up here i didnt know were to fish were i used to work there was a lad who was from scarbrough he told me about hasker,ravenscar,rollup birdash and a few other marks and one thing he mad very clear was if i seen him with his mate at any of the marks i didnt let on that i new him he told that when he fished hasker if anyone who he didnt now came down after him he would cast a bit futher i now ramrod will now him they were members of cloughton rock anglers they used to do very well in all the comps i have seen the 1 lads name in a few posts on here
    i owe a lot to that man who helped me . so i dont now what all the fuss is about the way i see it is if you help anyone you dont have to tell them when it fishes let them suss it out
    cheers ian

16. Baramundi Bob

They would be dead.

You just convinced me I need to put more work into the site Phil. Its when people raise questions like those you have put, drives me forward. Like when Skatey threatened my life for wanting to put holderness marks on the site, the very next day I published a nice new Holderness article.

17. Hammy

Hammy New Member

lol, that would certainly solve the problem - remind me not to go anywhere you recommend! :laugh: :laugh:

18. Howard

Howard Blenny

Going back to what Dave said about the site changing I think he is right but this is no bad thing it is just that the forum has matured naturally and with this sort of thing been new to the world that was and is to be expected. I think it has lost some intermicy yes but then thats inevetable because of its popularity.Prehaps pictures of members showing off their catch on easy recognised marks will become rare. This is only a small price to pay though.
    I bragged about bagging up once and was shocked when on the next tide the mark was heaving with anglers.
    Keep up the good work Bob.

19. Baramundi Bob

In reality someone could die fishing, its a dangerous past time as is motor racing but people still do that and encourage others into the sport. Risk is a part of life. I would hate to think of life without risk - what a boring world that would be.

If you think about it we were all naive novices once. Every mark you learnt you had to go there for a first time. More often than not people were so tight with info you either followed them or chanced it. You are not born an experienced angler - that only comes with time, often a lot more time than some people think. Ive met many "experts" who under the surface know relatively little even after years of fishing.

Thinking back to a WEC post the other week about Anglers moon convinced me that the first people to fish the marks we now fish are all dead (Through old age - not through fallling over a rock). So we have no claim over these marks as "OURS"

Thinking about Phils concerns on Rubbish and returning fish, they are things you can never control. I wonder if "The Ginger Kid" as Phil refers to him who once showed him the way to Ravenscar asked him to fill out a form where he vouched he would never leave any rubbish or take any fish home ? . Of Course he never :wink: because we all trust each other. In reality it aint gonna happen, we all have to trust others to respect the sea and It wouldnt be a reason why I refused to show someone a mark. I would pull them up in the future if they left the place in a hell of a mess though. As for showing someone a mark but them saying pretend you don't know me if you see me there - Whats all that about ?

20. Hammy

Hammy New Member

Yep, I think it's up to peoples personal discretion whether to 'give away' the marks, nobody wants a busload invading their favorite place or leaving rubbish all over.
    I'm not too hot on all the local marks myself, & theres some I do know of that I've never been to! (thinking of blea wyke & it's only 10 mins away from me!)

I think if I wanted to try one of the lesser known spots I'd use the private message function to contact someone, that way I'm not asking anyone to post it to the world at large.

On the subject of the forum, it's by far the best for the ne sea angler (suck, suck, lol) , the combination of seriousness and silliness works well for me! Thanks to everyone who has given advice and info and keep it up! :happy: