1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wreck Fishing Tips

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I am thinking of adding a wrecking page to the boat fishing section. What information should be added to this page ? What methods work best for wreck fishing. Please share your wreck fishing tips.

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

Good idea Glenn. I will be a regular contributor if you do.

The biggest fault I encounter with beginners is they come unprepared. A big problem is sea sickness and a lot of it can be avoided by having end tackle that can be quickly removed and replaced. I have seen so many anglers trying to tie muppets and lures up when the boat is moving. Their heads are down concentrating on a job that should have been done on terra firma. The next thing they are heaving over the side.

It is best to make end traces beforehand and put them in sealable bags. They can be quickly attached with an American snap swivel tied to the braid end.You will get far more fishing time in this way as well. After spending your hard earned cash on a fishing trip you want the maximum bang for your buck.

Alan

3. Baramundi Bob

Thats a cracking tip Alan, I've suffered that myself. I always feel ill when focussing on something. Like you say, its best to do anything like tieing knots at home.

What are your favourite wrecking methods ? baits, shad, or jiggers

4. Wildcard

I always use tubi booms when rough ground or inshore wrecking because they keep the shad or bait from tangling into the mainline on the way down. There is nothing worse than fishing away for 10 minutes over rough ground to haul up your gear in a big tangle, you have been wasting your time. Over the winter I make loads of them up and they are the mainstay of my wreck fishing. You can do anything with this rig, including changing shads quickly if the tail gets bitten off, you just want to try a different colour, or put a hook on to bait fish. If your lead or hook become snagged the rotten bottoms will let you get the rest of your gear back.

[​IMG]

Alan

5. kirkby lad

kirkby lad New Member

nice tip thanks wildcard, what about the trace length, keep getting conflicting info on the length from 3-4 feet upto 12 feet. i tend to use the shorter length.

6. Wildcard

If the tide is running hard I would shorten the trace length to 3ft or so to keep the shad or bait on the bottom. If the drift is slower then the trace length can be increased up to 12ft if necessary. One killer way I use with shads is to hold the shad in my left hand and let the lead go down with the trace in the tubi boom tightened. When the lead hits the bottom, gently pull the rod upwards. This makes the shad swoop down towards the seabed and cod seem to find the action irresistable. Most times they nail it before it hits the bottom. I think they see the shad silhouette from below and they hit them so hard that they end up deep in the cods stomach.

[​IMG]

Alan

7. 105

105 New Member

every one has there own way
    1 snap from the main line
    5 foot trace
    game on

8. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I like it.

paul.

9. 105

105 New Member

thought u like that one mate
    granny an eggs

10. Patterdale

Patterdale New Member

Nice tips there fellas cheers.

Out with Trot on on Wednesday so looking forward

to getting some nice fish hopefully.

Doug

11. smokey

smokey Rockling

:yes: :yes: :yes:

12. bigfat

bigfat New Member

keep the tips going,want to have a go a wreck fishing,

13. Wildcard

Commercial divers also suffer from sea sickness. The drug a lot of them use is prochlorperazine which comes under different brand names. Stemetil and compazine are two that I know of. You need a doctors prescription to buy it, but there are ways around that;

http://www.assetchemist.co.uk/Product_Details.php?product_id=534569

Alan

14. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

Being the lazy sort and not wanting to give the sea "pavement pizza, I tend to pre-bait all my traces and then refreeze them. When needed it is a simple matter of clipping the complete trace onto the leader without messing around pushing hooks in on a rolling deck.

15. Baramundi Bob

What type of rod do you need for wreck fishing ? Are you still on the stiff 50lb class rods or will the new lighter jigging rods do the trick ? Do you just use the same gear as yopu would for ground fishing - ie light rod, ligh reel and shads ?

Does bait play a part?

What tactics would you use to try entice the bigger fish to your hook.

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

THERE ARE SOME CRACKING TIP'S HERE FOR US ALL , :yes: LAST TIME I WENT OUT IT WAS A LB OF CHROME TWO FLYING 8/0 HOOKS ATACHED AND TWO MUPPEPTS ABOVE IT ,IT DID OK BUT WAS A BIT ARM WRENCHING AFTER A COUPLE OF HOURS :hurt: