1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you like to join the new sea fisheries committee's ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

All the details you need are here

2. Tommy

Tommy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Have you thought about it glen?
    Tommy

3. Baramundi Bob

I did briefly mate. I can only see it would cause me stress that I dont need right now.

4. newdave

newdave Guest

But we do need representation Glenn, personally i think you would be the man for the job, but if not we should ensure that we are represented.

On simlar lines I have agreed to continue working with Netgain, initially i really didn't want to get involved but these things are going to happen regarless so if we dont fight our corner we really cant complain when we get what we dont want.

5. Tommy

Hello glen I can understand your concerns, but surely you could release some of that stress from within rather than getting more stressed from the outside if you know what I mean. I would imagine that built up frustration can get very stressful if you’re not able to put over your concerns and views on a subject that you feel strongly about. At least if you managed to get on a committee (or IFCA) as they will be come then you can at least put your case across and indeed contribute to the future of your hobby.
    Tommy.

6. Baramundi Bob

Hi Tommy,

I have a long history of disliking committees etc. I feel strongly that Sea angling does not need to be managed and there is no justification in doing so. I have tried my hardest to stop people from putting us on the radar, but some seem to have a deathwish. The more I look at it now, the more I start to think its damage limitation time, Roskilly and friends have done their worst.

anyone remember this video ?

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/sacn-bass-nfsa-angling-trust-you-killed-sea-angling

There is only one thing that would make me want to be on one of these committees, and that is the thought of what type of an idiot we might end up having talking on our behalf.

7. Tommy

Thanks for that Glen. Do you have much contact with your local committee? Do you think that with the marine bill and them changing over to IFCA, s there will inevitable be more contact with fishery officers? Like I said before I have had nothing but cooperation from the NESFC when ever I have been in touch with them. Do you have much contact with the officers on the ground so to speak? Or do they keep well away from anglers? I only ask because it’s one thing to be cooperative on the phone and another to be cooperative face to face.
    Tommy.

8. Baramundi Bob

Hi Tommy,

Up until recently I had next to no contact with the committee whatsoever. Only once have I had them come anywhere near me and that was one day I was digging worms and an officer checked my bucket to see what was in there, he also asked if I dug them to sell and I politely told him no, but I really should have told him to mind his own business. I was very put out by this. This person has since left the employment of the committee by mutual consent. I guess you always remember the bad ones and there was an officer who was disciplined for being very rude on national TV to the good people of Filey who apparently have webbed feet. Im not sure if he still works for them.

Late last year I was contacted by the committee and asked to join a sub committee/stakeholders group. After much thought I joined. Ive been to 2 meetings and find them to be very approachable and willing to listen to our point of view. I have asked that minutes be produced so that its all very transparent (Something else I dislike is secrets behind closed doors).

I think as time passes and the IFCAs come into being it is inevitable that we will have more contact with them. I know there are people out there who belive that if you havent done anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about. However for myself, fishing is about being alone or being with just 1 or 2 close friends. I have sat endless hours at the bottom of cliffs all alone on many occasions. If I am sat down there in the future and a fisheries officer comes along to say hello just because he can, then I will feel that to be an intrusion regardless of the fact I havent done anything wrong. I also fear that some of the things that are currently legal may soon become illegal under the IFCAS, such as keeping fish or digging worms without a licence. So pretty soon I may be an illegal fisherman and all for nothing. I would much rather the fisheries officers attention be focussed on the commercial fleet than on how many fish I take home or how many worms I dug.

The IFCAS will also take on responsibility for managing the estuaries and I know that the local committee intend to start surveying the Tees pretty soon for what goes on in there including bait collection. Its all guesswork, but I do feel that at some point we could be looking at worm digging permits in the estuaries. Nothing is concrete but the potential impact on the sport is high.

9. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sometime someone will have to step forward to represent anglers but they'll need a tin hat and thick skin as they'll get flack from all sides

Trouble is anglers as a whole like to fire the bullets but they won't pick up the gun

Good luck to anyone who does volunteer though

10. DB2009

DB2009 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well said that man
    I have received threats , insults etc for trying to do just that.

David

11. Baramundi Bob

Brian used to be on the committee to David. He will know what its like.

12. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

I take my hat off to anyone that does.

Glenn to be honest as good as you would be doing this job, I fell you already do a lot for the community fishing interests running this site, and being helpful to the lesser able anglers with your help to them in posts etc......

It is scary though that if someone does not step up and fight the corner, then decisions will be taken out of the hands of the Anglers.

Phil

13. Tommy

Hi glen. Thank you again for telling it as you see it. I am very much in the group that loves fishing because of the pleasure I get from walking the coast line or river banks or fishing on big open lochs in Scotland alone. I felt very much like you did when they first talked about introducing fishing licences for Corse fishing. “O my god” that’s the end of my solitary hobby. How mistaken I was, the first few months I witnessed a couple of bailiffs’ in a very remote fishing area and the odd one on much more popular beats. They where fine, they asked me if I knew about the new laws and then asked me if I had a licence. One did try and give me a bit of advice on how to fish a chalk stream that I had fished since I was seven years old, I actually found it quite amusing and thanked him for his useless advice and bid him on his way. I was very much like you Glen, I didn’t want disturbing , but at the end of the day I knew it wasn’t the EA officer who had changed the rules and it was a small price to pay for such a lovely hobby. I would imagine that it would be the same on the coast. Enforcement officers could (and probably do) have there hands full dealing with commercial fishermen and recreational duties will only increase there workload. So I cannot see them breathing down your or anybody else’s neck come to that.
    The video was hilarious by the way.
    Off to loch Tay tomorrow to see if I can get a spring salmon. Then over to fish the Shannon next week. Have put aside all of June to try and catch a bass in your part of the world.
    Tommy.