1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Kill A Seal ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 3, 2009.

?

If your livlihood was threatened would you kill a seal ??

1. Yes I would kill a seal

34 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. No I could never do that

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. smokey

smokey Rockling

That post is 2 years old,in that time the UK seal colony has eaten over 1/2 a million tonnes of fish,cull the fat feckers it's a step in the right direction.By the way,the palaegic trawler in the post (Altaire) is currently laid up in Norway after being holed by a Norwegian boat while mooring up... tight lines

2. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

my appologies smokey (its a year old)..but even if the seals have eaten half a million tons of fish,thats still only 1/38000th of the ammount landed by that ONE trawler..and you cant tell me its the only one of its class?

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I think you should also recognise that their is a significant difference between

[​IMG]

And

[​IMG]

Traditional longlining and gill netting methods pose you, me or fish stocks no real threat. I can understand people opposing huge trawlers with modern technology but to claim every man who puts to see in a boat is a problem does not hold water.

4. shammy67

ahmen to that glen..if i personally have given that impression then i can assure you thats not the case..cant imagine how much healthier things would be if traditional fishing was still at the fore

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

If you read the statistics again Shammy you will see that the seals eat 190 times MORE than the Altaire landed mate.It's not small fry,it's a HUGE amount of fish.Maybe Doc will know the combined TAC of the British Fleet all around the country,then you will start to understand the massive amounts we are talking about.People who read bad press about the wrong doings of British trawlers have to understand that they aren't all pirates of the sea,granted there are some bad eggs out there but there are also some good ones... tight lines

6. langy

langy Rockling

kill all off the fat twats :D

7. shammy67

sorry smokey mate...maths never was my strong point!!..and after further searching,http://travel.blogdig.net/archives/articles/December2008/16/How_many_pounds_of_fish_does_a_seal_eat_per_day_.html i can definately now see the flip side of this..im just not sure how the seal population round our coast,and what they eat,equates to the ammount of fish taken by the factory trawlers we've read about recently..tight lines too bud!

8. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Another point seems to have been missed and that is the fact the seal population around the uk coast is growing year on year and is thriving so either :

1. The seals have turned vegetarian and are thriving on seaweed

or

2. The fish stocks are remaining consistent to support the natural predators

Would still kill the murdering swine though.

9. Baramundi Bob

Another theory could be that an increasing seal population facing a decreasing level of food are driven to do things they wouldn't have done before such as raiding longlines and gill nets. It evolution of the species ??

In long hot summers the seals in the Esk seem to come to the harbour mouth and feed on anglers mackerel. In wet summers with a constant supply of fish in the river they dont seem to come to the harbour mouth yet they know its easy pickings for them.

10. rizla

rizla Blenny

ok smokey,you keep rattling on about these statistics so put some meat on the bones. where do we find the statistics you refer to? who carried out the study and when was it done?

11. Baramundi Bob

Im sure Clive will be able to offer some assistance with that one.

12. Baramundi Bob

Something else to add to the debate here :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8462

13. Baramundi Bob

As the topic seems to be ongoing I have reopened the poll at the top.

Would you kill a seal ??

14. Dav

Dav Rockling

How far out in general do seals go fishing . could it be down to the lack of fish in the open sea caused by mans greed in sweeping everything up causing the selas to move inshopre more i,, seals are opportunists after all.......
    If this is the case why blame the seals . i do feel sort of sory for the lads with longlines and stuff who are having there lines raided but on the other hand for me these lads need to be blaming the trawlers not the seals , altho it is the seals doing the nicking but .....

15. Baramundi Bob

Seals are known to swim from here onto the continent - Denmark and Norway. This apparently is where the last outbreak of seal distemper came from.

I am with you on this theory Dav and I think the shortage of food is causing the seals to steal the fish off lines and from nets. Also I think the liners and netters should look no further than the trawlers for the cause of their problems. Although I would also add DEFRA to the list as they are currently running on a policy that discourages the use of lines and nets by the small boats in favour of the larger trawlers. It cant be that difficult for them to notice that whilst there quota drops year upon year, the quota of the trawlers increases.

However they dont see it like that, the under 10m guys blame seals and although they don't blaim us directly they want anglers under bag limits and on a licence scheme.

16. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

I actually stood and watched 2 seals systematically herd a number of trout and salmon into a floating net attached to skinny jetty about 10 years ago.Yes it was put there by poachers before anyone jumps on the bandwagon.
    The seals then went through the fish in the net taking bites here and there and discarding most of the remaining fish carcass.
    Clever ? yes indeed and certainly opportunist but why so wasteful????
    If the seals were not so murderously wasteful I would not have a problem with them after all everything has a right to live and a purpose in the food chain, but, I defy anyone on here to say someone going into a cake shop and taking a single bite out of every cake then leaving is acceptable behaviour.

17. Baramundi Bob

Ive never witnessed this but have heard the same story of seals hearding fish under sandsend cliffs and driving them into the nets infront of Dougie Raines shop. They are clever things.

Ive told this one before but Ive also seen them take fish after fish of mackerel anglers on the pier. They store them on the pier ledge and only return to eat them once the shoal has passed and the anglers stop catching.

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Funny you should say that foo , did you watch the great events programme the other night when it was on about the big sardine shoals of southern africa ?
    It mentioned seals being opportunistic hunters before the great shoals arrive , it showed you seals killing gannet chicks just to eat the fish from there stomachs and wasting the rest .
    This type of behaviour is also carried out by alot of other species including man , grizzlys eat salmon just for there eggs alot of the time , killer wales eat somthing in grey wales and discard the rest and same goes for humans ...
    Maybe this is the case in that the seals are becoming a problem due to the lack of schools of fish ....

19. steerser

steerser Blenny

killers eat the tongue mate..

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

Cheers steerser , i knew it was somthing stupid they eat , seems a waste of a grey whale doesnt it , Nature.....
    Thanks