1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Kill A Seal ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 3, 2009.

?

If your livlihood was threatened would you kill a seal ??

1. Yes I would kill a seal

34 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. No I could never do that

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

southerners first I reckon Simon :laugh:

2. riley.

riley. Blenny

like other specific animals/vermin that are posioned to maintain a healthy level...they are still not wanted around farms and businesses and same would go for seals....all though seals are less of a problem compared to something else i think ways can be done to sort some soulotion out......

3. Maxie

Maxie New Member

when i was a kid 10 :embarrass: no maybe 30 years back i never seen a seal local to me but i often see them now.
    its the same as a lot of things,i never seen a buzzard till about ten years back now they are ten a penny,kestrels,even peregrines they are pretty common.
    and as for magpies and jackdaws :evil: some of them might die on my allotment this year theres a plague of them.
    most of these are the top of their food chains so have no predators to keep their numbers down.

4. THE OUTCAST

THE OUTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I would kill some of the netters and longliners
    If man had not and did not rape the sea in the first place there would be no probs.
    its time we used by catchers and stopped blaming seals =birds =others out there its
    Mans fault there is feck all out there we take take take and give nowt back into the food stocks .
    rant over ish,,

5. rubbish

rubbish New Member

no for me, livelyhood or not. they are only evolving around mans destruction.

6. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

well said outcast..couldnt agree more.as i said in an earlier post on this subject,the seals are just being used as scapegoats...in my opinion

7. riley.

riley. Blenny

think of the seals as illegal immigrants too many and there's a problem

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

There`s me thinking the problem of lack of fish around our coast was down to them big vessels we call trawlers :whistle:

9. Dorado

Dorado New Member

They're not being used as scapegoats, just coats...well and boots.

10. IanB

IanB Blenny

There are definately too many do-gooders on this planet, you're only here for a short time
    so make the most of it. I personally would shoot one - no bother.
    There are far too many seals around our coast now, even years ago (30-40) if a seal turned
    up whilst you were fishing that was it for hours, no wonder there is no fish hardly on the beaches
    with the amount of seals about.
    I know that they were shot from boats around here 30 year ago and there was'nt many then.

11. Chris j

Chris j Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'm a brikkie if the seals start threatening my livelihood lets kill em.its bad enough with the poles

12. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Seriously I was at the river Hull in BEVERLEY the other day and a seal took a kid's livebaited trout meant for pike. He had the beast on for 20 minutes :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

On the question, yes I would if it was affecting my livelihood. I hate this attitude that people seem to have about if the animal's bigger it's less acceptable to kill it. Think of killing a spider. No problem. A rabbit?? A Seal??

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Have you watched the comedian Dennis Leary. He does an excellent sketch on how humans are happy to killer ugly looking creatures and protect the cutest ones. He swears a fair bit but makes an excellent point.

Talking of catching seals. I once did battle with a seal and won whilst uptiding with Killer. Halfway in the seal took my fish. I clicked the reel out of gear and watched the seal strip the line. Then I clicked the real in gear and the seal let go. I wound half way in and the seal took it again. I did the same again and it let go again. This time I got the fish on the boat. Bar a few scratches it was unmarked. Not sure how a seal would hold a fish ??

14. THE OUTCAST

THE OUTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A MAN now that is easy and a big target.
    now that makes any one setting a net or long line fair game as he is taking your fish..

15. smokey

smokey Rockling

Put your hand near a seals mouth and see how friendly it is then.All the do gooders in this world should be shot,then fed to the seals,maybe the fish population would rise then..tight lines

16. Dink

Dink Blenny

Well said Smokey!! :yes:

17. riley.

riley. Blenny

couldnt agree more smokey lad.......i see them seals!.....they look at you!! especially the big fat ones....are they curious or are they eyeing you up for dinner...... i make seal noises!!!! i'm bonkers...

18. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

:laugh: :laugh:

19. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Foxes of the sea and often kill fish wantonly just for the sake of it and seem to enjoy it taking a single bite and discarding the rest.Would kill a seal without a second thought.

20. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

U opened a rite can of worms ere glenn!!..i aint a do-gooder,but it was only last week that glenn posted a story of a trawler landing 1,900 tonnes (at least) of mackeral...if the mackeral dont show this year,do we have the right to blow up that trawler?...take your blinkers off n look at the real picture...that trawler is the tip of the iceberg..no seal colony,however big,can cause as much destruction to the fish stocks as we do..http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12.0