1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Kill A Seal ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 3, 2009.

?

If your livlihood was threatened would you kill a seal ??

1. Yes I would kill a seal

34 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. No I could never do that

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

If you were a netter or a longliner and your livelihood was being hit by seals, what would you do ??

Could you bring yourself to kill a seal or would you find another job ?

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

its hard to put yourself in someone elses shoes but personally no I wouldnt

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

if it came to life or death yes.

but if i was fisher man longliner would try everything else first, but i would never go out just to kill one for no reason

4. steerser

steerser Blenny

In my school holidays as a kid i used to work on one of the salmon cobles at Staithes.
    If we ever had problems with seals, the skipper used to lower a 4 foot length of scaffold tube tied to a short length of rope into the water, then he used to hit the tube with a hammer.
    The seals hated it and buggered off sharpish..
    Couldn't kill one myself like...

5. newdave

newdave Guest

I can understand why the fishermen would want to thin them out, but the powers that be have given them protection so it should be respected.
    Squirrels are cute looking but unfortunatley for them they are vermin.
    The little buggers have been nicking me birdfeeders so i bought a couple of traps & have dispensed 15 so far. :evil:

6. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

lets face it..seals have been sea fishing a lot longer than we have..its where they live,eat,breed sleep and die.we have no right whatsoever to kill any seal..we have a multitude of other options to fill our stomachs,they,on the other hand dont.

7. smokey

smokey Rockling

Lets put another spin on it Glenn,if you were a farmer and you invested thousands into seeding your fields with crops,mr fluffy bunny comes along or mr wood pigeon and proceeds to decimate your crops,would you think...awww fluffy little bunny needs to feed somehow and leave them to it,or would you reach for the 12 bore and thin them out a little..it's a no brainer the rabbit would get it every time.In the UK,there are 210,000 seals,150,000 grey seals and 60,000 common seals.An average grey seal eats 2 tonne of fish every year,common seals eat a little less this works out at (very roughly) 5 kilo's of fish a day per seal which is very feasable..These facts should be remembered when we are being faced with angling licenses and the like,we take a tiny amount of what either the trawler fleet or seals take.Surely a mass cull of seals would mean more fish than if we were shafted by rules and regs.... tight lines :happy:

8. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yes
    There are a few species that need thinning down, seals are one of them, along with rats, squirells, foxes, pigeons, etc, Im not advocating unlicensed/unnessacary culling of seals but by their sheer numbers and the impact they have on fishing in general I belive the culling of them is easily justified, also I would have no problem killiing one or more myself if it was my living that was at steak. if you were a shopkeeper would you tolerate thieves? (btw I know we cant kill them)
    Not being cold blooded or setting out to offend anyone with this, just my view

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

I always wondered why grey squirrels were classed as vermin , is it becuase they are an immigrant so to speak , and they are making life hard for red`s or is it because they carry diaseses ?
    I wonder if the river tees estuary seal colony has grown due to mans ability to alter nature ? ie tees barrage......if so for me they should be culled They are gona slowly wipe out the tees salmon population if summat isnt done quick......

10. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

11. trickie999

trickie999 New Member

yes no worries i think its like the farmers would you kill rabbit, foxes, a stray dog in a field of sheep its your living and you have to protect it.
    You can think of many different sernios..............................
    So i think its the same you have your nets full of fish and a seal is in your net eating your fish whats the difference????
    well thats my op ion but guess there will be a few people not liking this
    Richie

12. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

if they were putting my livelihood at stake yes i would.

13. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

my opinion and my opinion only, it may not be yours but it is mine, so dont have a gripe if you dont agree,,its one i am entitled to.....
    if my livelihood was threatened by a seal... i would be able to kill it without having any second thoughts....well maybe one thought ...what bits of the seal would be any use to me ?.....after all isn't man top of the food chain...and evolution has made us what we are ....decision makers capable of killing anything

14. riley.

riley. Blenny

hmmmmm seal steaks!!!!!!!! i would kill if faced with an abundance of food to eat....

15. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

well i cant see how anyone can justify killing something that is just doing what comes naturally in its natural habitat

16. trickie999

trickie999 New Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm riely seal steaks and chips sounds nice

17. riley.

riley. Blenny

i should have sent that to walkers lol......

18. trickie999

trickie999 New Member

lol pmsl

19. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Yes if i had a use for it

20. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

go along with that, certainly wouldn't waste it