1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wots the best pike rods

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by rich123, Oct 18, 2012.

1. rich123

rich123 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

im looking to buy 3 decent pike rods for dead baiting roughly around 10ft

any help be great cheers

2. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not a huge selection of 10ft rods out there, I'd have a look at heavy spinning rods or carp stalker style rods, sonik do a decent stalker rod and you can get them for about 60 notes each which is a bargin, depends what your using them for, I'm guessing boat fishing, river or small waters, although why you would need 3 for those applications I not sure.

3. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If you're looking for ten foot rods then have a look at the Wychwood pike boat rods, ideal for poking through trees and bush's and great for casting under overhanging trees, some of the lads I fish with use them and they're spot on

4. brian carragher

If the question is generally; whats the best pike rods then that opens up one hellove a topic

5. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What rods do you use Brian, for general river tees deadbaiting?

6. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Best rods are Dave Lumbs, but depending where and how your fishing. Get them custom built to your design.
    Fox warriors are a good all round pike rod,

7. brian carragher

I would,nt neccessarily agree with that, Dave builds a cracking rod up but they are on Harrison blanks, Dave just builds/assembles them so any half decent rod builder can do you the same rod providing they use the same Harrison blanks

Fox do a good range so it depends which spec you choose, the best I believe they have made is the Predator XS superb blanks great overlapping spigot joints and a superb big fish rod

8. brian carragher

I use Dave Lumbs Baitblasters in 3.5lb and a Normark 2.75lb and also an ET Pitmaster in 3lb which also doubles up as a very good livebait rod as it has a very forgiving progressive action which does'nt cast off your livey when you're casting out, I also have the Predator XS as above in 2.25lb which has a lot more power than it would suggest

My lad has a couple of Fox rods one is the Predator XS and the other is the Pikemaster, both I think are 3.5lb but the XS is a far better blank than the Pikemaster

The baitblasters also make a very good livey rod when you use larger livies and will lob out a 2.5lb livebait no problem at all as they too have a very progressive action (bend all the way through), also got Lumby's lure rods too set up for multiplier and they're nice blanks too, surprisingly enough on a Harrison

I have a couple of other rods that I also use, one an Abu 2.25lb rod and surprisingly enough a Shimano Bass rod that also feels relly good with a fish on

9. jimlad

Cheers for the info Bri. Dont suppose, for a budget rod, you've tried the Wychwood Agitators?? After the success of the rogues, i'm quite interested.

10. brian carragher

I think they're the ones my mate uses as per the post above, very nice rods for the money

11. jimlad

Nice one, i'm suprised at the Wychoods, if people hadnt have recommended the rogue barbels, i dont think i'd have bought a Wychwood rod but i'm glad i did. I might just buy one...

12. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

well years ago when i was the R/O region (7) york branch of the P A C i bought three pikemaster rods a pair of 2.3/4 tc & a 2.1/4 long range dead bait rod plus ive three nev Fickling Daiwa amorphus 3lbs tc rods up in the loft must try and use them this year not been after old snapper Fishing for years might have to get the boat out on the ouse tightlines Alain