1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WINTER KAYAK FISHING - Flotation Suit On A Kayak

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

With the emphasis on keeping warm whilst winter kayak fishing. Would it be possible to wear a flotation suite whilst on a kayak. Or is this a mad idea ??

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Re: Flotation Suit On A Kayak

I would have thought it would be ok over the top of a dry suit or wet suit, you wouldn't want to be paddling far though as you'd look like the michelin man :cheesy:

3. newdave

newdave Guest

not sure you would swim very well in it either :no:

4. Baramundi Bob

I am wondering if it would impede you in getting back on the kayak. I only plan on a 600-1000 Yards paddle.

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

600 to a 1000 yd paddle .. :surprise:.......i wonder what santa brought you glen .... :laugh: :laugh:, i reckon ure getting soft in ure owld age .... :wink:

6. Baramundi Bob

Always had a flotation suite Dav :cheesy:. A donation from a kind neighbour. Only ever comes out for boat fishing or nights on Whitby piers (Which are few and far between).

Been thinking about kayak uptiding next week but I know it will be cold so was think about possibilities. I refuse to buy a dry suite for the amount of use it would get.

I suppose the other option is to go uptiding with Killer and hide out in the wheelhouse all day :surprise: :laugh: :laugh:.

7. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Glenn not sure I would recommend it mate. The thing with uptiding is that you are very vunerable, anchoring in tide is probably one of the most dangerious things we do, especialy at this time of year with the much colder air and sea temperatures. Go in and it would be so very easy to be seperated from the yak.

Is it a one piece suit mate? The one I have does not seal on the feet, the cuffs are naff and the collar does not seal at all. I think these suits are to keep you afloat not to keep you dry in the water - and for quick extraction out of the water. You would probably be better with your waders, wading belt and cag mate, that way if you did end up in the water you would stay drier and warmer longer, its hyperthermia which is the real killer at this time of year. Obviously again the more safety gear on you rather than the kayak the better, certainly your vhf strapped to yourself at the bare minimum.

These suits would also hamper your paddling ability which again isn't good in this type of fishing. I felt vunerable last time out, had my full wet suit on as normal, neoprene socks and then my neoprene waders on too, top half I had my normal fleece and cag combo and of course a damn good hat. Neoprene gloves are good too.. I have a fear of being seperated from the yak or not being able to get back on, in either case if you do get wet through to the skin you will get cold very quickly and hyperthermia sets in in no time. I think those suits are just designed to keep you afloat - not to keep you dry.

Ken

8. Baramundi Bob

Thanks Ken.

Maybe it is doable on the waders then. Might try it once and see how cold I am. If its bad Ill probably stay on dry land until spring.

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Sorry Glenn I keep editing that as I think its important to get it across correctly. I was warm enough last time out but then the sun was out and the air temperature was slightly up from the last time we were out. As soon as the sun went behind a cloud you could feel the temperature plummet. My feet were ok last time out and I think that was because of the waders, my top half was ok but its very easy to work up a sweat while paddling and then when you stop you get cold very quickly - best to paddle at a leisurely pace.

Hands do get cold though, not sure if my neoprene fingerless gloves are a good thing or not as your hands are always wet - one thing I meant to do last time was take some dry gloves in a sealed bag specifially for the paddle back, this is when my fingers hurt the most.

I was confident that if i was to end up in the water and tide took me away from the yak my main body would be totally dry for some time. I tethered to the back of Dave last time out and the worry to me was it would take Dave a fair while to release himself from anchor and tether my yak to his bouy prior to coming after me...so I would probably be in the water some time - if this was to happen I really wouldn't hesitated to call for help of the VHF.

Soz for sounding such a doom and gloomer but i do honestly try and think of the worst case scenario when we are out there and how we would handle the situation.

Of course a good dry suit is the answer i think :happy:

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I was thinking of using a one-piece thermal woolly suit I used to use for my Carp fishing a few years back, then use waders and cag as before. I wouldn't have to buy a dry suit and hopefully be relatively flexible compared to a flotation suit. A dry suit is probably the way to go but last time I checked I didn't have £200+ laying around :cry:
    I've just bought a pair of Mustad waders for my shore fishing, unfortunately even though they are a size 9 they seem to be designed for someone 7ft tall as the top of the waders isn't far away from my neck! I think they would be good on the yak though as will keep me drier and hopefully warmer.

11. newdave

newdave Guest

Its just because for your weight you should actually be 7ft tall Sam :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

12. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

:laugh: :laugh: Cheeky Tw#t!!

You are right of course but that's not the point :laugh:

13. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Funny how things change, when i first joined this forum i was horrified to hear of people venturing out on kayaks in waders, and now i'm venturing out wearing them myself :happy: . I wouldnt wear them all the time but in this cold weather and in combination with a wading belt and dry cag they do keep you dry and warm.

14. rizla

rizla Blenny

i don't know if these are siutable for a kayak but ,there's good stuff on here at reasonable prices.

http://www.hellyhansen-workwear.com/workwear-advice-survival-flotation.php

15. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sorry to interject here lads, but I was wondering if any of you use a decent winter wetsuit whilst yakking, I used to surf whenever possible and I found a 4/5mm wetsuit kept me warm in the coldest of weather, really bouyant too. The only problem I could forsee is it may be slightly constrictive whilst paddling,
    if and when I get my hands on a yak (april/may) I intend to go down the wetsuit route

16. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Hiya mate, ye I use a 5mm wet suit, its two piece but i dont use the top jacket, only the main body, had it for years but does the job, matched up with a proper kayaking cag and neoprene board boots it does me fine in all but the winter yakking

Good luck with getting kitted up, any advice dont be afraid to ask

Ken