1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter Cod Fishing - The Truth About Sucess

Discussion in 'Whitby Sea Anglers Articles' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

So many times now I have seen very similar question’s asked on our sea angling forum – “Why are some anglers more successful than others when it comes to winter cod fishing“

Well there is no short answer to that, and most certainly the main factor is experience.

You must remember that many of the best winter cod anglers have fished the coast for most of their lives, and the things they have learned only came from countless hours spent pursuing their hobby.

Winter cod fishing is like no other discipline in the sea angling world. Unlike other forms of angling you cant walk into a tackle shop and buy the ingredients of success. The best baits can only be sourced by...... Read More

The article How To Be A Successful Winter Angler appeared first on Whitby Sea Anglers.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2015
  2. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What a quality read there Glenn , theres a lot to take in at this sport of angling ---- What quite a few anglers don't realise is just how important the size of tide is to your timing and choice of venue it really is critical at plenty of places , the difference between getting fish and nothing

3. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Experience ,good bait are the most important some anglers are very lucky and tag along with lads who have be at it years and learn the ropes very quickly and in some cases add there own expertize but in most cases its knowing which venues fish best on the certain tides ,swell direction and size of swell there is more to it than it appears but as i said fishing with good anglers brings the greenhorns on very quickly if they learn fast.

paul.

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ive seen some lads fish alongside the best anglers for years, and still they are crap. Some people just dont learn.

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I think the key is to learn from the top anglers.. listen to them and store the knowledge. I have been very fortunate in my few years of sea fishing to have made friends with some really good anglers.. Gary watson, Alan and Martin Jackson, Matty Garbutt and other Whitby club lads when i was in the club, and the things I have learnt from them have made me be able to catch a few fish. Admittedly I am nowhere near there level, but what I have done is remembered the little snippets of information they have told me about bait, marks, tides etc. and used that knowledge. the people who fail are those that dont listen and learn

6. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Another great read, cheers!

7. faithWRX

faithWRX Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Another fantastic read, keep up the good work

8. mocksqueek

mocksqueek Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

One of the most important things in being a better angler is a three letter word (WHY). Why is the angler next to me catching and im not ETC ETC ETC. Being able to work out nearly all the WHY,s in fishing is very important and some anglers can work the answers out but most can not.

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

good read once again, its nice to refresh some of the older post,s
    sometimes it can give you a boost to start from scratch once more

and do the things you have forgoten ,
    ie the right tide for the marks and wind direction ,along with a top quality correct bait 8)

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

So what makes a decent angler , well how long is a piece of string , starting right at the beginning You have to have TOP QUALITY
    BAIT at all times , if you need fresh peelers at that certain time of the year , well you need fresh ones not those that have been in the back of the freezer for the last 2 years and have developed a tainted smell etc , good quality frozen crab wether it be dog , eater or velvets top quality is a must , this goes for , blacks / lug , mussel , and all the other baits you can think of , then when you go out fishing take a variety of these quality baits b because fish can go crazy for a certain bait , then wont touch it the following day
    fish are a bit like women , you never know what is coming next , then you have to go out and do your homework , read up on the excellent posts that have appeared on the forum over the years , maybe make friends with somebody in the know , improve your
    casting if reqd , study beaches , rock edges looking for runners, sand bars , holes etc log them in a book , or put them on a gps if you have one, take pics etc , now you have to look at different sized tides , and by HELL that can make a massive difference to what you are likely to catch , THEN very importantly what stage of the tide is best for that particular mark and the amount of sea on and swell
    direction --- I know several marks that can fish there nuts off on the FLOOD of a really slack tide then go as dead as a Dodo , the same mark on a good sized tide with the same amount of sea on , will be totally dead on the flood , but will fish its socks off on the EBB, it can drive you mad at times ! ------ Then don't leave your quality bait out any longer than 20 mins , if theres crabs about make that 10 mins , clean your hook off right down to the meal every time , double pat , reel in -- unclip trace -- on with new one
    straight back out , you cant catch fish if you don't have a bait in the water , if it takes you 10 minutes every time you reel in before you are back out in the water you are going to miss quite a lot of fish over the season , use a pennel rig you will catch more fish long term , remember your line beats the fish , use lighter set ups in the right areas , if its heavy going get some heavy gear on , IF you do
    ALL of these things you will be well on your way to improving your catch rate ------ Now how far do you cast ! well the cod might be well off but then they might be between 10 to 20 yards out so don't be frightened to experiment ------- I hope this helps

11. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

It strikes me that one of you local lads could make a mint if you published a book containing the secrets about fishing the shores around Whitby.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mariaselina

mariaselina New Member