1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter clothing recommendations

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by ijakk, Sep 18, 2010.

1. smokey

smokey Rockling

Think that about sums it up Les :laugh: :whistle:
    If you intend to fish easy access beaches or piers then buy a flotation suit.
    If you are serious about furthering your rock angling and are going to try harder access marks with long walks over rocks or big cliff climbs then forget the flotation suit,they are simply not practical :no:
    If it's the latter that applies to you,buy yourself a decent pair of studded chest waders and a quality waterproof jacket/smock to go over your chesties :yes: tight lines

2. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Non taken Les(at least none by me)Happy birthday for tomorrow fella,have another glass of vino mate :wink:

3. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well with respect to your 50 years experience mate perhaps you could have just offered advice in a more friendly manner but due to your age and subsequent improvement there of, I respect that you are justifiably a drunken cranky old twat, as I am a drunken middle aged cranky twat, now back to the boxing

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Lol....what a reply Les watersplatter)..........I know it was shot from the hip and not very subtle but was succinct and if the winter clothing is for fishing Nth Yorkshire rock marks with cliff descents and ascents or long walks over rocks carrying a rucksack then Les is spot on.

If however you wish to fish 'carpark' type venes with easy access safe footing and exert little energy geting to your chosen mark then the floatation suit would be a great choice......lots of anglers at the river Humber mark of Paull choose the floatation suit option, usually coupled with a pair of Reebok classic trainers ! :wink:

Technical fabric base layers are lightweight, wick sweat away from the body therefore helping you stay warm and dry, are cheap to buy now, worn with a warm mid layer and a lightweight but waterproof and windproof smock such as the I max and then a good fitting pair of chesties is the way for me on rocks. Gives you freedom of movement, warmth and weather protection.

5. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

In one Slim, shouldn't come on here when the vino is talking, no offense to anyone,but in the cold wet light of day advice was meant, Jelly has put it more succinctly.

Take care today chaps.
    Les

6. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

As may of the lads have said. Studded waders over berghaus extrem hi tech trousers which are breathable under them some northface thermal wickaways.

Top half (in small size these are, if you ever meet me you will :laugh: ) berghaus air wick long sleave top followed hu norrh face wickaway t shirt, then berghaus micro fleece. Followed buy a fleece jumper. Cotton smock and then grays smock on top. It may sound a lot and It Is but there all thin tops and one thing is for sure I don't get cold. Well my hands do. And never forget hat. I always take 2 for when one Is wet.

I have just got some seal skin socks as last year my feet got cold a few times. Also thinking of getting one of the seal skin hats.

Some of the clothing I listed sre not cheap, took me a wile get it all bit worth every penny. Total cost for that lot about 400 pounds or there about. But worth it.

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:laugh: :laugh: Bloody hell Les I thought I could rest at ease knowing that this topic would require no moderation :laugh:

8. ijakk

Having never been within spitting distance of a floaty suit before I didn't know they were such a hinderance to mobility, although I suppose being stuffed with foam makes sense, mind you, youR not gonna hammer out a foxtrot in a pair of chesties either. A rethink is due.

By the way ducky those seal skin hats are spot on.

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

One of the biggest hinderences to a comfortable days fishing is cold feet. The seal skin socks always get good reviews, I ve used neoprenes though as well for the last three winters and haven t had cold feet at all, except when I had some Ocean chesties as I found the boots so poor even the neoprenes didnt keep my feet warm. A good hat as well. the rest you can layer up and take off if too warm .
    On a long walk/climb to some marks I often carry a spare base layer to change so I m not wearing a wet sweaty top all day helps in keeping warm.

10. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

My apology's mate for some reason i had it in my head you were talking beach fishing,i would have dropped a right clanger sending you rock fishing looking like "neil armstrong" :surprise: at least you know what to wear in both situation's all part of the learning curve :embarrass:

11. ijakk

Discomick your quite right Mate, it will be mostly beach fishing I'll be doing with the odd trip onto the rocks, I'll stick to the layers

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Layer up it gets cold out there ! The sea was steaming this day and the ground solid, under about 6 layers I was toasty...mind you what a day to be wading across scars and find out your boot has split ! After a few hours thought me toes were dropping off on one foot !

[​IMG]

13. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

No Doubt this old pisshead as never fished just left/ right of the steps at sandsend ulrome hornsea south or even the carpark at sandsend where you can fish with a floaty and moonboots ive even fished the rabbit holes wearing the said suit and boots and if it meant i had to carry a car battery and my motorcycle hand warmers up there to fish one freezing cold night i would as long as the fish are there at the end of the day you wear what you can afford to keep nice and warm tightlines Alain

14. woody

woody New Member

good pic jelly im off to norway in jan,prob gonna look like that , im gonna have to get some serious thermals it was -20 last year when shammy went !!!

15. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cannot agree more with discomick,a flotation suit will keep you warm, dry, and save your life,it just depends where your going to fish ,i mean if its a long hike a flotation suit would kill you but for the likes of scarboro or rhb fine.