1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter clothing recommendations

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by ijakk, Sep 18, 2010.

1. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Since this will be my first year of winter shore fishing I think I could do with a decent waterproof jacket or smock any recommendations would be most helpful.

Cheers

Rich

2. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

The grays smock is very good. Few things could be improved. But for keeping you dry. Yes it works very well.

3. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

If this winter is anything like last year you could do a lot worse than investing in a floatation suite, iv'e a sundridge one,excellent piece of clothing,not cheap!but a godsend in cold weather,dont know how i used to manage without it :no:

4. captain cod eye

captain cod eye Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Gray Imax smock with green trim.

Its Lightweight waterproof not the warmest but does the business its got a hand warmer pocket and a front pouch. Which has a bad design the velcro sticks to the inside of the pocket.

I use this smock up until about december time and when it gets really cold i use my floatation jacket its just that little bit warmer on them freezing cold nights

I hope this helps you can get em in keith's saltburn for about 60 quid
    tightlines wayne

5. hughiep

hughiep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have a floaty suit....they are a god send when the frost is on the gound....or out in the snow !!

6. DiscoMick

Full mark's for a novice to ask a very important question,i dont think people realise when they first come into the game just how cold it can get stood on a beach mid-winter,as these lad's on here will agree...it's f.....g cold!!..make no mistake,it's a real test iv'e seen a lot of lad's fall by the wayside just because they couldn't be arsed to wear the right gear,it's no good having spent hundred's of pound's on rod's/reel's and then turning up on a beach dressed as though you'r just nipping out for a paper!! you wont last five minutes....good luck with the fishing ..mick

7. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Ijakk it all depends on if you feel the cold as i do on a cold night my hands and feet get that cold you could snap my fingers and toes off like you snap carrots ive tryed all sorts over the years so now is a floatation suit (two peice) and moon boots on the beach if you have a long walk leave the jacket off as you will sweat (like a fat lass having sex) if you go cliff or rock fishing i use the floaty jacket over ocean waders inside the waders i use some thurmal socks i bought from a mountainering shop (expensive) at £38 but f/king great at keeping the cold out now to the hands if you can bait up with gloves on then you are laughing just get some 4mm neaoprean ones i carnt bait up with gloves on and as soon as i take them off to put the bait on my hands turn blue in seconds on my boat ive made up a pair of motor cycle (Hotgrips) hands soon get cold so i just turn the grips to max and sit holding them until my hands warm up then its back on with the 6mm divers gloves on the beach i stick it out for as long as i can its a right pain at times if your catching fish its not to bad but if theres nowt doing i tend to say f it and go home as i get older i dont do much beach cliff or rock fishing as i used to do I just enjoy my boat fishing more and more tightlines Alain

8. jkd_si

jkd_si Here fishy-fishy-fish

A thermal base-layer is invaluable! you don't need to buy really expensive hikers stuff I've got some thermal "long-johns" and a thermal t-shirt/vest that do the trick and they only cost a couple of quid from B&M, layer up with a couple of t-shirts and maybe a couple of pairs of thin trousers, more thin layers is better than a few thick ones. Wear a good coat over that and some water-proofs and your good to go, for really cold weather I've got a freezer suit I got from Arco about 7-8 years ago which has served me well, although the zips are now corroding from the salt-air, but as others have said you can't go wrong with a 2 piece floatation suit nice and warm with the added bonus of keeping you afloat if you fall in the drink. Oh and definatley get a good pair of thermal socks, thick wool is best and don't scrimp on them, there's nothing worse than cold feet on the beach.

9. DiscoMick

Ahhh...moonboot's/hot foot wellies...brilliant!! keeping you plate's warms is a must,dont forget to to keep you loft lagged as well.

10. ijakk

Thanks lads great advice I did consider a floaty suit but I did wonder if it would be over kill but after what you guys have said I think that's the way I will go. Spent a number of year fishing freezing cold nights on rivers but the coast is much more exposed so I guessed that my river gear would not be up to the job, glad you put me on the right track I've got good base layers, socks and neo wellies just gotta get a suit now, few fish would be nice to.

Cheers

Rich

11. DiscoMick

Wise choice mate,you will not regret it :educated:

12. ijakk

Cheers mate, I used to feel the cold really bAdly on my feet to the point of pain but since I bought some muckboots derwent haven't had no problems, also got a seal skin beanie couple of years ago and that's brilliant wouldn't be without it. What do you guys wear under your floaty suit just a base layer or fleece as well ?

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

I dont rate them greys smocks one bit . Titan smocks are better for keeping you dry as long as you dont wash them .....I still wear the titan when its really bad but tend to stick thin fleeces now and a thin gortex style waterproof over the top..........

14. jkd_si

jkd_si Here fishy-fishy-fish

Aye you won't regret a floaty mate I used to have one that was given to me by a mate who was on teesmouth lifeboat many moons ago but it was in shoddy shape when I received it but it did me for a few years before it gave up the ghost, I'd have bought a new one but the freezer suit was about half the price of a good floaty back then, it the other way round now. May have to put the charm on the missus she if she'll let me have one for this winter

15. ijakk

Lol same here mate those ladies like clinging onto those purse strings apart from when there buying shoes

16. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

You need to stand back and look at yourselves. How the F##k can you get anywhere worthwhile with a flotation suit and moonboots on, you keep asking for info about where to fish and then come up with this cr#p. Most good marks entail somewhat of a good walk and then possibly an incline or two, you will not be able to manange either dressed in a floatation suit and moonboots, its sometimes cold out there, thats what its all about, its cod fishing get used TO IT. (obviously 2nd bottle of Chateux Neuf has kicked in but birthday tomorrrow, and what the f##ck do I know I've only been doing it for fifty years).

My very best regards.
    Les

17. ijakk

You talking to me ???

18. steerser

steerser Blenny

Fairplay mate.. :laugh:..bang on..could have been a bit more subtle though.. :laugh:

19. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Easy tiger

20. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

No offense to anyone peace brothers, whatever floats your boat or SUIT. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Les